Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to wear 20lbs of clothes to stay warm, hard to move and work in the woods, then after drinking 4 cups of coffee and it hits ya, got to p. Y'all know what I mean, pain to pill layers off and ya in a hurry cause ya be fighting the urge to go and bout p on ya self, I hate winter, I did mention that didn't I.

Steve

15degrees right now, single digits tomorrow.

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

And it was 49° this morning, but supposed to dip back towards the 20's again for the lows, brrrrr, I hate winter time.

Steve

I feel sorry for you poor SOB's that have to survive in those 49 deg temps.. :baaa:

-3 right here at work at 4:30 am with like 100 mph wind.

I feel sorry for you poor SOB's that have to survive in those 49 deg temps.. :baaa:

-3 right here at work at 4:30 am with like 100 mph wind.

Went it gets like that any exposed skin starts to hurt with in seconds. I do not mind cold weather but when it is like that with the wind is sucks.
Stay safe Mark out on those roads.

Went it gets like that any exposed skin starts to hurt with in seconds. I do not mind cold weather but when it is like that with the wind is sucks.
Stay safe Mark out on those roads.

Thanks Roger, I'm going to do that.

I have not had time to mess with that aluminum wire in the welder. A friend lives by a race engine shop and dropped the case for the welder there to fix. He sent me the picture of the repair this morning.

Looks good enough to me, Now maybe can get some time to get this 81 back together..AA2F4822-1_2.jpg

I can't see that picture well on my phone, but you want that nipple on the ramp on the gear.

The lobe in the center of the gear gets rotation by the crank which walks the gear inside the cover and the ramp on the gear toggles the lever which accutate the the pump piston.

One of the more odd oiler setups but one of the best most reliable ones I have seen.

View attachment 543775 Took apart my 245a oiler cover. Is the cross type Lever on properly? I mean is the little nipple in the correct position? Seems like it's okay but want to be sure.

Hey Bob,
Did you ever find & fix the test pressure air leak on that 245? I read back through the posts & didn't see anything about it.

What kind of grease did you repack in the oil pump gear set, molybdenum? That stuff looks nasty...

Hey Bob,
Did you ever find & fix the test pressure air leak on that 245? I read back through the posts & didn't see anything about it.

What kind of grease did you repack in the oil pump gear set, molybdenum? That stuff looks nasty...
Waiting to get the gaskets and reinstall the carb before doing another test. I used all purpose grease but maybe I should use a higher quality grease. Easier to do it now rather than later.

That inner crank seal on the PTO side can now be easily bubble tested while you have the oiler apart too. Like Mark said, the two cover bolt mounting holes into the case need to be plugged.

The oiler gears always have dirty grease in them after 20 plus years, the kind of grease that you wear in the cracks of your hand & fingernails for two weeks LOL. I don't know what the OEM spec grease was either.

Your S25 oiler parts are all done. I'll get them back to you next week. One diaphragm had the "big flat tit" type plunger, and I can't rebuild it, but the two others went fine. You'll have to get a new 5300 22124 dia, or maybe someone can donate an old worn out small plunger type "to the cause".

See how the center one in the photo has a much bigger diameter?, there's not enough height to get ahold of to compress the metal inwards to properly get the cupped washer off.

I've found three different types of those dia plungers, Poulan must have used different suppliers over the years.

image.jpeg

That inner crank seal on the PTO side can now be easily bubble tested while you have the oiler apart too. Like Mark said, the two cover bolt mounting holes into the case need to be plugged.

The oiler gears always have dirty grease in them after 20 plus years, the kind of grease that you wear in the cracks of your hand & fingernails for two weeks LOL. I don't know what the OEM spec grease was either.

Your S25 oiler parts are all done. I'll get them back to you next week. One diaphragm had the "big flat tit" type plunger, and I can't rebuild it, but the two others went fine. You'll have to get a new 5300 22124 dia, or maybe someone can donate an old worn out small plunger type "to the cause".

See how the center one in the photo has a much bigger diameter?, there's not enough height to get ahold of to compress the metal inwards to properly get the cupped washer off.

I've found three different types of those dia plungers, Poulan must have used different suppliers over the years.

View attachment 543875
In my prior tests there weren't any noticeable leaks in either seal. I can hear pressure escaping somewhere near the carb so I'm assuming it's the gaskets though no amount of spraying soapy water revealed any leaks. Thanks for fixing the S25 diaphragms.

Ok men put your thinking caps on, working on my 361 i just got, rebuilt carb, it has the wick filter system. I know the tank is clean the filter is ok. The saw will start and run on idle only, if i try to go WOT it bogs and dies, no matter where the needle is, if you go slow with the throttle it will speed up about to the point it should run on hi side then bog and die, but it will idle all day long fine. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back