Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both intake side and exhaust side look the same, found a crankshaft seal leaking. Going to do full rebuild.

Steve

Steve I just looked at those pictures again. I find it hard to believe a leaking seal caused this. A leaking seal will just cause a lean condition which will useally only cause it to score on the exhaust side of the piston and cylinder, not both sides.

I hate to say it but looking at those pictures makes me lean to a straight gas situation. Now I know unless by accident you wouldn't do that but then again? Too little oil? Bad oil? I wish I had it in my hands to examine.

I have a few top end options here if you need one.

Dad buys stihl oil and none etho gas and mix at 50:1. I use the same mix in all my saws also. Would not had known this if I hadn't decided to fix previously owner's mm and crank case leaking oil.

Steve

Dad buys stihl oil and none etho gas and mix at 50:1. I use the same mix in all my saws also. Would not had known this if I hadn't decided to fix previously owner's mm and crank case leaking oil.

Steve

Well that should have been fine, but obviously something wasn't.

I have run lots of old saws at 50-1 with no issues but frankly I decided that while fine at 50-1 it puts it kinda close to the edge and have started going to like 40 or 44-1 lately, especially with all the antiques I have.

Question for guys in the know, I order some of the foam air filters for this saw from Manufacturers Supply but they are about 1-1/4" too short.

I use this. Just cut and trim to fit for the air filters and the little block for the throttle linkage (throttle wire boot as they call it). Comes in rolls for isolating and sealing air gaps in older window A.C. units (where I got mine) among a variety of other uses. The remnant I have is 1" x 1-1/4" and appears to be the same density as the actual air filters. A roll of this stuff would last a lifetime. Too bad the oil pump diaphragm material isn't as conveniently available.

0330171137_resized.jpg

Received a package in the mail from Modified Mark yesterday so I moved ahead with the Super 25DA. Thanks again Mark!

I am now waiting on the seals from e-replacementparts, should be able to finish this one Saturday if the parts arrive. New rings had about 0.010" end gap so the compression should go up even further from the 150 PSI I got before taking it apart. The center port in the exhaust was about 80% closed off with very hard carbon so it should breathe a little easier now as well. I don't know if I lost the flywheel key or if it didn't have one when I took it apart but I found a washer of just the right thickness and made a new key to align the flywheel when it goes back together.

Question for guys in the know, I order some of the foam air filters for this saw from Manufacturers Supply but they are about 1-1/4" too short. I bought several so I cut another one and glued the two together with some spray adhesive so I am set for now. Were there different lengths for the AR on these models?

Mark

Good deal on the rings, but it looks like he slipped a 306 base gasket in there to confuse you, LOL

I got a bag of those midget keys of you need one, get destroyed when I pull them out with dikes.

The XX micro has a different sized AF, maybe they got confused & sent those instead. As far as I know, the
air filters were always the same for the S25DA series saws, 5300-23369.

What's the best way to clean aluminum transfer from an unplated cylinder, 3400. I've read where muratic acid is used but kind of iffy on a none plated bore.

Steve

I have a 3400 cylinder, intake etc FREE, for shipping cost. It had hung a ring at one time as I bought it as a parts saw. Needs the EXT bevel cleaned up. If you can do that IMO usable.

Received a package in the mail from Modified Mark yesterday so I moved ahead with the Super 25DA. Thanks again Mark!

View attachment 569066

I am now waiting on the seals from e-replacementparts, should be able to finish this one Saturday if the parts arrive. New rings had about 0.010" end gap so the compression should go up even further from the 150 PSI I got before taking it apart. The center port in the exhaust was about 80% closed off with very hard carbon so it should breathe a little easier now as well. I don't know if I lost the flywheel key or if it didn't have one when I took it apart but I found a washer of just the right thickness and made a new key to align the flywheel when it goes back together.

Question for guys in the know, I order some of the foam air filters for this saw from Manufacturers Supply but they are about 1-1/4" too short. I bought several so I cut another one and glued the two together with some spray adhesive so I am set for now. Were there different lengths for the AR on these models?

Mark

http://www.mowers4u.com/poulan-530023369-chainsaw-filter-p-533.html

cost a lil over a buck i bought all they had a month ago im sure they have some in....

Latest posts

Back