Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pioneer p-42 with an intermittent spark problem Part # 476339 Black
Part is interchangeable with 507476339 poulan pro
I have a smashed wire from coil to the module I need to pick up new ends so I can make a new wire
I unplugged the kill switch had spark plugged it back in no spark ... Unplugged again and now no spark again
Will try wire first but after that whats next ?

Maybe your crushed wire is broken inside the insulation or shorting to ground. You could pull that wire and check for continuity if you have a meter. If you do have continuity, wrap the wire with electrical tape and try it.

Check the plug wire at the coil to make sure it's making proper contact as well.

I probably need to find better material but I re-flocked a Poulan 2700 air filter. I removed all the old flocking and glued pieces of thick shop paper towels over it.
1721816b8e2473c585faf18debd25269.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe your crushed wire is broken inside the insulation or shorting to ground. You could pull that wire and check for continuity if you have a meter. If you do have continuity, wrap the wire with electrical tape and try it.

Check the plug wire at the coil to make sure it's making proper contact as well.
I have continuity with it flat on the bench the probes don't fit in side so I can't wiggle it..
Will test plug wire in the morning

Well give it a try you have nothing to loose. I do not know how long shop paper towels will hold up before needing replaced or how well they will filter or restrict air flow.

BB did a thread on this fix. I cant remember the material he used off hand.

I'll look into it tomorrow unless you know already.

I probably need to find better material but I re-flocked a Poulan 2700 air filter. I removed all the old flocking and glued pieces of thick shop paper towels over it.
1721816b8e2473c585faf18debd25269.jpg

I use hard felt sheet. You can usually get it at craft stores. It works and flows air really well without letting fines through. I think even better that some OEM filters. Washes easily when it gets dirty too.

I use hard felt sheet. You can usually get it at craft stores. It works and flows air really well without letting fines through. I think even better that some OEM filters. Washes easily when it gets dirty too.

Thanks for the information I have a couple of those saws with bad filters and stihl 024 filter that needs to be recovered

Make sure you hold it up to the light in the store to make sure there aren't areas that are thin. I've tried a bunch of stuff and that works the best. Another if you're in a pinch is to unravel a pleated air filter (used is OK) from a car. Passes air well and is pretty tough stuff.

View attachment 577442

Thanks again, I will do that. The paper towels will come off easily. It was mainly just to see how the idea would work. I will do some shopping and get something better.

I have continuity with it flat on the bench the probes don't fit in side so I can't wiggle it..
Will test plug wire in the morning
You can also pull on the wire a little at a time not to hard but like you are trying to straighten it. If the wire in side is broken the insulation will stretch at the break point. That how I check wiring at work on autos if I suspect a wiring issue is causing an electrical problem.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

I have repaired some two-piece frame filters by recovering them in fine, screening silk. Those 026 squeels are pushing $40 for replacements. You can also get wire fine wire filter screen if so inclined.

The felt is inexpensive and easy to work with though. I've experimented with it for different filters and it works as well as the OEM ones. If not, better. As mentioned, do check carefully for uniform density using the light test. This can vary substantially throughout the piles of colours at the craft store.

I usually form the felt over a couple of days with the frame and cover in place. I will wet them and let them dry in place. Then, a spray adhesive on the mesh, and the already pre-formed felt is bedded.

Cheapskate fix for the 3400-4000 series, as new AM ones aren't so cheap by the time they get to your door in Canada.

Poulan 3400  (5) 2.jpg

Another application. Simple frame out of plastic and a double layer. Clean running Homie now.

Homelite XL-76 130 Filter 2.jpg

Thinking of going with some colour this weekend. 20+ Celsius = cutting time. Had this combo out last year and it works well for the 18" and under.

Poulans.jpg

BB did a thread on this fix. I cant remember the material he used off hand.

I'll look into it tomorrow unless you know already.

Thread on a fix BB used on these filters too. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/poulan/benchmark-bm-46-(poulan-2800)/msg17013/#msg17013

Put a poulan 3500 60cc together and set up as requested.
Always loved these little saws as they are size weight close to a 50cc but 60cc.
Dual port muffler I started doing on these instead of both on the sides. 1 in front middle and 1 oem side exit. Baffle drilled open and spark screen removed. 325 7T with 18" set up.

The bar mount shots were showing taking the K095 bar and making it work on K041 saws. A few minutes on each side and good to go.

p3500zzzzzzzzz.jpg p3500z.jpg p3500zzzzzzz.jpg p3500zzzzz.jpg p3500zzzzzz.jpg

I have repaired some two-piece frame filters by recovering them in fine, screening silk. Those 026 squeels are pushing $40 for replacements. You can also get wire fine wire filter screen if so inclined.

The felt is inexpensive and easy to work with though. I've experimented with it for different filters and it works as well as the OEM ones. If not, better. As mentioned, do check carefully for uniform density using the light test. This can vary substantially throughout the piles of colours at the craft store.

I usually form the felt over a couple of days with the frame and cover in place. I will wet them and let them dry in place. Then, a spray adhesive on the mesh, and the already pre-formed felt is bedded.

Cheapskate fix for the 3400-4000 series, as new AM ones aren't so cheap by the time they get to your door in Canada.

View attachment 577465

Another application. Simple frame out of plastic and a double layer. Clean running Homie now.

View attachment 577466

Thinking of going with some colour this weekend. 20+ Celsius = cutting time. Had this combo out last year and it works well for the 18" and under.

View attachment 577467

Thanks! I picked up some felt today. I will cut and glue it onto my filters. I will keep the idea about forming a filter in mind. I have a Poulan 306a, as well as a large Mcculloch saw I will probably use that trick on.

Back