Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked one of these up today for my favorite price . I am now the 3rd owner.

I know zero about these. But, as advertised, it did not run. Pulled the carb (pretty easy) and slotted the needles to accept a flat blade screwdriver. I know I should buy a proper driver. Monkeyed around with the settings and found that the original 2 turns on both L & H were way too lean? Quite a bit richer now and it seems happy.

I didn't cut with it yet but my first impressions are: 1. Easy/smooth to start/restart. 2. Oils well 3. AV seems decent 4. Found a cool scrench holder under the footpad

I imagine these would be really zippy with a 0.325" 16" setup.

Poulan Pro 5020av.jpg

Been heavy into my Macs lately and decided to change shades of yellow today with the newest addition to the jellybean collection. My favorite price, too. Dirty as sin with the usual fuel line issues and disintegrated air filter but is cleaning up nice and is in real good shape. Didn't realize these were 38cc chrome bore micros until today. Pretty cool. The 'Control Tip' bar is weird, tho. Not a banana bar, but has different rails at the tip with one seemingly normal and the other having a bevel and being higher just around the tip. Not enough wear on the bar for it to be from abuse. Maybe a manufacturing defect? Maybe it's supposed to be the way it is? My first inclination is to grind/file it down even with the 'normal' rail. Sorry for the lousy pic. The odd rail is on the left if you can make out what I mean...

0514172013_resized.jpg

0514172012b_resized.jpg

Picked one of these up today for my favorite price . I am now the 3rd owner.

I know zero about these. But, as advertised, it did not run. Pulled the carb (pretty easy) and slotted the needles to accept a flat blade screwdriver. I know I should buy a proper driver. Monkeyed around with the settings and found that the original 2 turns on both L & H were way too lean? Quite a bit richer now and it seems happy.

I didn't cut with it yet but my first impressions are: 1. Easy/smooth to start/restart. 2. Oils well 3. AV seems decent 4. Found a cool scrench holder under the footpad

I imagine these would be really zippy with a 0.325" 16" setup.

View attachment 579463

Odd fuel lines on those. I suppose you may have seen that in other posts. They are (I guess) a cheap vinyl line with a clear membrane lining of some type. I'm not sure what happens to the membrane when it craps out or if it does over time. I think I would replace what's there with Tygon myself. Maybe the liner is impermeable to gas migrating through the lines? EPA thing??

Just a little hardnose bar on it. Yours is mighty nice also. I see you have the chain brake. Pretty sure that was what made a 180 a 190 unless it was a Canadian feature for the 180 and the 190 was only marketed here. Different muffler cover, too. And notice mine has a different sticker..., and brighter yellow lettering.

Just a little hardnose bar on it. Yours is mighty nice also. I see you have the chain brake. Pretty sure that was what made a 180 a 190 unless it was a Canadian feature for the 180 and the 190 was only marketed here. Different muffler cover, too. And notice mine has a different sticker..., and brighter yellow lettering.

Mine is a 180C. 38cc. I understand that some of them may have been a smaller displacement. Our government recognized the common man's stupidity (God bless them (read that as strike them dead)) and we had brakes a long time before you guys did.
We call them carry handles. The older Jonsered (Husky's) didn't fare well in that department. (S**t, my handle fell off!)

Latest posts

Back