Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gumneck

gumneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Todd Loosli

Todd Loosli

One to many saws, never
. AS Supporting Member.
Thanks for the push that got my ocd going. You were right about the cost, I can make up the difference by watching how much pop and junk food I buy over the next months but not to many saws are going to be found. It's one I needed for the collection. Most of my other ones have been made from parts and not one that hasn't been opened up. I sent a offer and got turned down waited 2 days and offered a bit more 5 minutes later it said pay up.

gumneck

gumneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Since I couldn't MAN up for that 5200 mentioned above(and I really did nearly send an offer on it) this 3.3 was floating around locally for 40bucks supposedly just needed carb adjustment. Determined prior to sale it would not light on prime, drop test was iffy, and could tell it had been sitting outside in the rain. So of course I had to have it. crafts 3.3.jpegcrafts 3.3 2.jpegcrafts 3.3 4.jpeg

gumneck

gumneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
The brown stuff is not coffee that I'm aware of. The compression pic is not this Craftsman 3.3, that's the compression I get on my 34 year plus original cylinder/rings from my Poulan 3300.
The compression on this 3.3 is about 118. I thought that would at least make it fire off on prime. With the water in the bar oil, I'm thinking there must be water in the crankcase and its getting sucked into the cylinder killing my explosion.
Is my thinkin off?
bar oil.jpegcrafts 3.3 3.jpeg3300 compression.jpeg

gumneck

gumneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm so glad you didn't make that offer on the 5200.
Had a saw with the same water problem and after I cleaned the crankcase out I finally got it running, was a 3400 and 120 compression. Good luck with your saw.
I was glad to see you got it today, it really does belong in your collection. I did talk myself into it with that post up above even though I was kind of sounding a little crazy. I didn't even consider the shipping cost in my thoughts since the "ad was shipped to your door" which really made it even better than what I said.
I talked myself out of it sitting on Ebay writing up an offer right after I posted my thoughts on here. I went back to my thesis so to speak with what I'm doing with these old saws find em cheap and just get them running if possible. I remembered my goals and put it out of my head. There's a saw someone on here has offered to me, it's not in line with my goals but it's not as much as the 5200 was going for....but it's also not a Poulan. It is a P word though.

gumneck

gumneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
And thanks for the tip on the water in the saw. I think you're right and that will be the next step when I get to that saw. The starter spring was very rusty so it was removed, corrosion removed, cleaned, and lightly oiled. Also, it had a shortened rope so I replaced with new starter cord.

dboyd351

dboyd351

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'm so glad you didn't make that offer on the 5200.
Had a saw with the same water problem and after I cleaned the crankcase out I finally got it running, was a 3400 and 120 compression. Good luck with your saw.
I'm with Todd, I've had plenty of countervibes run fine with 120 psi.