Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you need a Walbro HDA-49.

That was a common carb on alot of that series. Seems the 2700,2800,3000,3300,3500,3600 Poulan Pro 305,335,336 and 365 all used that same carb. I'm going from memory so I might have one wrong or missed one.

There are useally a few on ebay at any given time.

Thanks Mark,Ill find one

I got this for n/c and it may be worth every penny.....

When you can't get a spark by sanding the coil and magneto you will want to check your coil with an ohms meter. Next, test to make sure the negative wire is on the surface of the small engine that touches the the magneto and the positive in the spark plug boot is touching the metal. A good coil will read anywhere between 1.5 to 5 ohms. A bad coil will read a lot higher such as 7000. If your coil has spark when it is cold but not when it is hot it may have an intermittent coil. Make sure your coil is cool and has spark. Heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer and test it again. If there's no spark, my advice to you would be to take it in to the mower shop and get a new one.

Kinda what I wanted to know. Thanks a bunch.
Bob

FRUSTRATION-Crank seals

I gotta be doing something wrong. Up until a few months ago I didn't have a problem installing seals. In the last week, I've ruined 5 by either going in crooked or catching the outside edge of the seal on the case and bending it. I typically use a socket that fits over the crank but I've tried PVC and even a block of wood bored out to 5/8 in. Still no dice. Seals are hard to find and I'm at a loss. Any tips/tricks you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I've got two seals left and am now gun shy.
Bob :mad::help::sucks:

? about rims

I have a 4200 & a 5400, I converted both to rim from spur, fairly sure Oregon
clutch drum when still available. Do these use a standard large rim sprocket?
I found a box with Oregon # 23706X C, think that is splined drum I using now.

Sorry if I stepped on seal ?, I have mucked up a few too.

wrong material?

hi ya folks. so today i replaced the oil pump on one of my poulan 25da saws... it was not oiling at all so i used a doner saw after i found the oil pick up tube was kinked bad and had no screening on it !anyways changed pump cleaned lines the manual pump works but auto dont checked diaphram no holes ??? also noticed when i use the oiler it would squirt oil out in the housing!!!! back apart it had a homemade gasket looked rough so i used one from doner saw same thing??? i made a new one from cardboard material from back of note pad same thing???? is their a certain material i should use??? should i double it up???any suggestions would be great it oils now maually put also fills the housing im betting if i can seal it tight it will auto oil for me i hope!!!should i buy some cork stuff from auto zone???

I gotta be doing something wrong. Up until a few months ago I didn't have a problem installing seals. In the last week, I've ruined 5 by either going in crooked or catching the outside edge of the seal on the case and bending it. I typically use a socket that fits over the crank but I've tried PVC and even a block of wood bored out to 5/8 in. Still no dice. Seals are hard to find and I'm at a loss. Any tips/tricks you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I've got two seals left and am now gun shy.
Bob :mad::help::sucks:

I've heard the "standard" seals have a thinner wall than the originals and are very hard to get in right. I don't know if it will help but if it were me, I'd try to put a very slight chamfer on the hole and daub the moto-seal to it when it started.HTH

Yes that is a standard large spline rim.

hi ya folks. so today i replaced the oil pump on one of my poulan 25da saws... it was not oiling at all so i used a doner saw after i found the oil pick up tube was kinked bad and had no screening on it !anyways changed pump cleaned lines the manual pump works but auto dont checked diaphram no holes ??? also noticed when i use the oiler it would squirt oil out in the housing!!!! back apart it had a homemade gasket looked rough so i used one from doner saw same thing??? i made a new one from cardboard material from back of note pad same thing???? is their a certain material i should use??? should i double it up???any suggestions would be great it oils now maually put also fills the housing im betting if i can seal it tight it will auto oil for me i hope!!!should i buy some cork stuff from auto zone???

Here again I would try to make sure the mating surfaces are good to go and daub both sides of the gasket with Permatex Moto-Seal let it tack before reinstalling and give it an overnight to set up.
I don't think the choice of gasket material is as critical as the surface prep.
Of course an original gasket would be the best if you can find one.-HTH

Mike

According to Oregon's website, the 23706X is rim/drum system, while the 32062X is the spur.

OREGON® Hand Held Chain Saw Replacement Parts

cool

I've heard the "standard" seals have a thinner wall than the originals and are very hard to get in right. I don't know if it will help but if it were me, I'd try to put a very slight chamfer on the hole and daub the moto-seal to it when it started.HTH

Here again I would try to make sure the mating surfaces are good to go and daub both sides of the gasket with Permatex Moto-Seal let it tack before reinstalling and give it an overnight to set up.

Mike
thanks i will try that after i get all the oil resude off LOL !!! i keep hearing about this moto seal must be good stuff!!!

Mike

Mike, maybe that's the problem(thin walls) and not me. Least I'd like to think so. Chamfer? Hmmm might be a good idea? Motoseal? Never seen this. Where can I get some. Heaven knows I've got all kind of tubes of other stuff eg. Dirko HT, Yamabond, Permatex #2 etc. What's one more if it works!
Bob

All of his saws are expensive, though I'm sure they run very well. His parts are also way out of line.

Thats the SOB who tried to extort Andrew when he sold that 4000 on ebay.

I wouldn't buy nothing from him and just to be safe I have him on my blocked bidders list.

Mike, maybe that's the problem(thin walls) and not me. Least I'd like to think so. Chamfer? Hmmm might be a good idea? Motoseal? Never seen this. Where can I get some. Heaven knows I've got all kind of tubes of other stuff eg. Dirko HT, Yamabond, Permatex #2 etc. What's one more if it works!
Bob

Bob, Moto seal is good stuff, its by Permatex and you can get it at a auto parts store.

If you have all the other stuff already you don't need anything else. Any of what you have is fine to coat the outside of a seal.

Are these seals your tearing up the generic ones you just bought? Maybe the OD is just a bit large?

I know those seals are a little bit thin and small but I never had that much problem with them.

Thats the SOB who tried to extort Andrew when he sold that 4000 on ebay.

I wouldn't buy nothing from him and just to be safe I have him on my blocked bidders list.

Bob, Moto seal is good stuff, its by Permatex and you can get it at a auto parts store.

If you have all the other stuff already you don't need anything else. Any of what you have is fine to coat the outside of a seal.

Are these seals your tearing up the generic ones you just bought? Maybe the OD is just a bit large?

I know those seals are a little bit thin and small but I never had that much problem with them.

I put calipers on an old one and a new one from the gasket kit. OD on the OEM one is .870 and the new one from the gasket set I bought is .880 so its actually larger. ID is .625 and .620 respectively. Wall thickness is .040 for the OEM and almost half that at .021, so the sidewall is much thinner on the aftermarket seals.
I guess they aren't an exact match.
Bob

Last edited:
sounds a little high for a 4200 that is only blowing 160......(twice what I would pay but hey it's a free country and it might be worth that to somebody, and yes the shipping is a little steep also, it only cost me around $20 to get a 4200 shipped from Wisconsin (and it came pumping 180 and had a jug of oil and a pair of new Jonsered gloves!

attachment.php

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

And after reading Marks post, I think I would find Poulan saws somewhere else
:cheers:

I agrr but actually 160 isn't bad.

I'm still a fair greenhorn to this game, but I do follow these posts with much interest as time passes.

The only meaningful contribution I have at this point? A comment about your take on the shipping for that ebay auction:

I'm surprised you guys find $45 a rip-off, and also surprised someone got a chainsaw shipped for $20.

Having said that, I am in Canada, where everything does cost a tad more.

If I could get a chainsaw shipped from the states for $45, I wouldn't blink (if the deal was right, mind you).

Seems I've paid that much to get a rugged laptop shipped to me, as well as a distributor for one of my old Fords... I hate to see what a chainsaw would cost me to get shipped... thankfully CAD has been managed quite well.

Happy New Year!

I'm still a fair greenhorn to this game, but I do follow these posts with much interest as time passes.

The only meaningful contribution I have at this point? A comment about your take on the shipping for that ebay auction:

I'm surprised you guys find $45 a rip-off, and also surprised someone got a chainsaw shipped for $20.

Having said that, I am in Canada, where everything does cost a tad more.

If I could get a chainsaw shipped from the states for $45, I wouldn't blink (if the deal was right, mind you).

Seems I've paid that much to get a rugged laptop shipped to me, as well as a distributor for one of my old Fords... I hate to see what a chainsaw would cost me to get shipped... thankfully CAD has been managed quite well.

Happy New Year!

$45 for state side shipping is a little high but not outrageous. Probably $30 or so is reasonable for a bigger heavier package like the 4200. I'm sure the gentleman is adding in a handling charge for a box and packing. $20.00 in my experience is being subsidized by the buyer to make the deal look better. Unless he's getting a shipping discount for working or knowing someone who works at a "Mailroom" like location. Employees typically get a 50% discount. I was more interested in the statement that 160 psi was somehow low when in fact its excellent.

Bob
Bob

Latest posts

Back