Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the case of the saw where seals fit true? Meaning is it worn or gouged/

Not sure, Joe. I probably need to look a little better. Something has to be wrong as I haven't had this problem before. By the way, the package will be mailed tomorrow. Sorry for delay. Almost forgot! The cover is plastic, not metal. Is that okay?

Put together one of my 3700's and needed to replace the flywheel side crank seal do to it leaking. After two new seals its still leaks! Running out of seals and they are getting harder to find. I'm getting a little po'd about ruining brand new seals. Even took the drasitic step of coating the seal with Dirko Ht. Still no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else run into this problem?

Bob

Man you seem to have problems with those seals. How bad are they really leaking? Are they leaking on the outside of the seals? I somtimes use the old standby Permatex #2 on seals never seem to have a problem. Sometimes the old fixes are still the best.

Now that I think about it, most of mine (untouched) probably wouldnt pass a pressure test, but they all seem to run fine.

Not sure, Joe. I probably need to look a little better. Something has to be wrong as I haven't had this problem before. By the way, the package will be mailed tomorrow. Sorry for delay. Almost forgot! The cover is plastic, not metal. Is that okay?

Dont worry about it, no rush. And yeah all my 3400-4000 have plastic clutch covers. thanks again.

Man you seem to have problems with those seals. How bad are they really leaking? Are they leaking on the outside of the seals? I somtimes use the old standby Permatex #2 on seals never seem to have a problem. Sometimes the old fixes are still the best.

Now that I think about it, most of mine (untouched) probably wouldnt pass a pressure test, but they all seem to run fine.

Yup, leaking to where I can see bubbles from the pressure test and it won't hold a vacuum. Maybe look at it again this week and see if it'll run and idle.

Seeing Steves new Dayton got me going. I still have not put the 361 in a piece of wood due to a missing air filter and not finding one yet even after hitting up some NOS suppliers, so I got out and found that I could cut down one of my older 306 filters and make it fit.

This thing sure does sound sweet running on the bench so maybe by the weekend I can try it out right. I just have to remember to work the oiler. LOL

Yup, leaking to where I can see bubbles from the pressure test and it won't hold a vacuum. Maybe look at it again this week and see if it'll run and idle.

I think the pressure test is sometimes over rated. I mean look how Homelite used a hole in the case on a 330 to keep the fuel from puddling under the reeds. That is a built in vacuum leak and they run fine.

In fact I had a 330 apart and found that someone had JB welded the hole shut and it ran just the same. I later drilled the hole back open just to see and it still ran the same to me.

Now if you have a really bad leak, then all bets are off.

I think the pressure test is sometimes over rated. I mean look how Homelite used a hole in the case on a 330 to keep the fuel from puddling under the reeds. That is a built in vacuum leak and they run fine.

In fact I had a 330 apart and found that someone had JB welded the hole shut and it ran just the same. I later drilled the hole back open just to see and it still ran the same to me.

Now if you have a really bad leak, then all bets are off.

Yea, your probably right Mark. Likely my Yankee thick headedness(from Conn. orig.) is causing more problems than warranted.
Bob

Seeing Steves new Dayton got me going. I still have not put the 361 in a piece of wood due to a missing air filter and not finding one yet even after hitting up some NOS suppliers, so I got out and found that I could cut down one of my older 306 filters and make it fit.

This thing sure does sound sweet running on the bench so maybe by the weekend I can try it out right. I just have to remember to work the oiler. LOL

I'll keep an eye out for 361 filters, Mark. Already checked on fleabay. Nothing yet. That Dayton starts and runs like new. I don't think it has that much run time on it from all appearances. The worst part of the paint is on the clutch cover. Looks like it got spattered with some sort of solvent like carb cleaner or something. Thought about getting some paint matched and touching that up.

I know what you mean about the manual oiler. Been a while since I used one that only had manual oiling.

Last edited:
67, that saw sure did clean up good. Guess we did the right thing by saving it from the pawn shop.
Howd it cut? With the chain on backwards?

Hah, made you look:)

67, that saw sure did clean up good. Guess we did the right thing by saving it from the pawn shop.
Howd it cut? With the chain on backwards?

Hah, made you look:)

Naw, man. I didn't have to look 'cause I know I already had to pull it off and turn it around one time! :hmm3grin2orange:

Nice save on you guys. I appreciate it! I'm fixin' to go out and put it in some wood now. I need a new chain. It has an odd length... 61 dl. Wish I had known when I was at Amick's Friday. The one that was on it was in worse shape than I thought. I'd get a standard 16", 60 dl and put on it if I thought it would fit but that bar is about a 1/2" longer than a some 16" bars. Got a used 60 dl on it but I'm afraid a new one want have been stretched enough to go on. Got enough weird sized ones already.

Last edited:
This is my latest addition thanks to father & son Possum who rescued it from a pawn shop in there area. Thanks, guys!

67Mustang

67Mustang

67Mustang

67Mustang

67Mustang

That thing might as well be brand new. Great looking saw

Put together one of my 3700's and needed to replace the flywheel side crank seal do to it leaking. After two new seals its still leaks! Running out of seals and they are getting harder to find. I'm getting a little po'd about ruining brand new seals. Even took the drasitic step of coating the seal with Dirko Ht. Still no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else run into this problem?
Bob

Have you checked the crankshaft bearings on your 3700 for runout and roughness?

I found leaking crank seals on my Poulan 2500. Unlike the split crankcase of the 3700, it has a clamshell crankcase. Before I ordered new crank seals, I checked the crankshaft bearings for runout and roughness with a dial gauge and a stethoscope. The crank bearings show noticable runout and a little bit of roughness. I currently have new crank seals and new crank bearings on order for my Poulan 2500.

Bob

I found leaking crank seals on my Poulan 2500. It has a clamshell crankcase. Before I ordered new crank seals, I checked the crankshaft bearings for runout and roughness with a dial gauge and a stethoscope. The crank bearings show noticable runout and a little bit of roughness. I currently have new crank seals and new crank bearings on order for my Poulan 2500.

I found leaking crank seals on my Poulan 2500. It has a clamshell crankcase. Before I ordered new crank seals, I checked the crankshaft bearings for runout and roughness with a dial gauge and a stethoscope. The crank bearings show noticable runout and a little bit of roughness. I currently have new crank seals and new crank bearings on order for my Poulan 2500.

You gotta help me . Please explain runout and roughness. I'm not too sure what you're referring to. Also while I don't have a Stethoscope, Im wondering how you are using it. I have several new crank bearings so replacing them wouldn't be a problem. However I've never had a bad one so what you're saying intrigues me.
Bob

You gotta help me . Please explain runout and roughness. I'm not too sure what you're referring to. Also while I don't have a Stethoscope, Im wondering how you are using it. I have several new crank bearings so replacing them wouldn't be a problem. However I've never had a bad one so what you're saying intrigues me.
Bob

Yeah me too. Rough bearings still won't matter on a pressure test after new seals are installed and before the saw has even been started.

Back