Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I tore down that Craftsman 3.0 that was given to me tonight and I found that the p+c is toast. I need to know what will bolt on, I would love to turn into a bigger saw. Also was wondering if any of you guys might have an IPL and repair manual for this one, I like to have them for all my babies. Thanks guys.

ps: m# 358.356070

I want to say thank you to all you guys here in the Poulan thread. I was looking for a wild thing to try my hand at MM's and maybe some porting, when I ran across this 4000 it felt more like a real saw than the wild things did so I grabbed it. Good to know I made the right choice.

I want to say thank you to all you guys here in the Poulan thread. I was looking for a wild thing to try my hand at MM's and maybe some porting, when I ran across this 4000 it felt more like a real saw than the wild things did so I grabbed it. Good to know I made the right choice.

The 4000 is very easy to do a simple muffler mod on. I usually ditch the spark arrestor screen. They are very restrictive, and are usually pretty well gunked up after 20+ years. Drill out the holes in the center diffuser/baffle to a larger size also. The 4000 muffler already has an extra side outlet on them, besides the normal rear exits.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Hey guys, I tore down that Craftsman 3.0 that was given to me tonight and I found that the p+c is toast. I need to know what will bolt on, I would love to turn into a bigger saw. Also was wondering if any of you guys might have an IPL and repair manual for this one, I like to have them for all my babies. Thanks guys.

I now a 3300 P&C will bolt right on as I've done it. Haven't seen a PP330 or similar saws but I'll look into it.

when I ran across this 4000 it felt more like a real saw than the wild things did so I grabbed it.

That's because the 4000 IS a real Chainsaw, especially compared to the toyish WildThing. No real Chainsaw is going to have a bunch of purple on it. Plus now you won't be accused of being a "Barney the Dinosaur" fanboy:hmm3grin2orange:

That's because the 4000 IS a real Chainsaw, especially compared to the toyish WildThing. No real Chainsaw is going to have a bunch of purple on it. Plus now you won't be accused of being a "Barney the Dinosaur" fanboy:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't be dissin the Wild Thing, or Eds will empty a drum of whoop a$$ on yall.
While not the Poulan of old, they do not deserve the rap they have gotten from the idiots (for the most part) that use them.
I have one that I've muff-modded and I don't think a two hundred dollar, or more, major brand saw is going to keep up, even if you mod that one.
A tankful of gas is more than enough vibration for the day, however.

You'll find IPKL herehttp://www.barrettsmallengine.com/poulan/chainsawpartslist.html

Ive got a small wildthing variant that has some missing aluminum outta the cylinder, and Im pretty happy with it. Even 67 grinned after running it, but he may have been laughing at me

They arent all that bad, just most ofthem are abused homeowner saws, which is what they were made for. You cant get chicken salad outta chicken poop, ya know :)

My PP4218AVX that I replaced the p&c starts and runs just fine, lots of power and all, but doesn't seem to rev as high as it should, and I'll occasionally notice the chain stall in a cut with the clutch slipping and the engine revved down. I set the H screw on the rich side (to avoid another premature failure) and may have overdone it. I don't have an adjusting tool so need to off the cover and use needle-nose pliers which is a hassle. It surely handles and feels nice tho with the spring-mounted frame and all that new power. The chain and bar are still like new. :msp_biggrin:

My PP4218AVX that I replaced the p&c starts and runs just fine, lots of power and all, but doesn't seem to rev as high as it should, and I'll occasionally notice the chain stall in a cut with the clutch slipping and the engine revved down. I set the H screw on the rich side (to avoid another premature failure) and may have overdone it. I don't have an adjusting tool so need to off the cover and use needle-nose pliers which is a hassle. It surely handles and feels nice tho with the spring-mounted frame and all that new power. The chain and bar are still like new. :msp_biggrin:

I found a adjusting tool made just for that on ebay.I think it was around 7.00. It does sound like you need to turn the h screw back in a little.But there are other guys on here that can tell you how to do it much better than I can.They will be on later I am sure.

Ive got a small wildthing variant that has some missing aluminum outta the cylinder, and Im pretty happy with it. Even 67 grinned after running it, but he may have been laughing at me

They arent all that bad, just most ofthem are abused homeowner saws, which is what they were made for. You cant get chicken salad outta chicken poop, ya know :)

IMO they are just fine for what they are made for.A little adjusting and they start easy and run great.I know people that cut a lot of wood with them.I don't want to LOL A little of them goes a long ways LOL

IMO they are just fine for what they are made for.A little adjusting and they start easy and run great.I know people that cut a lot of wood with them.I don't want to LOL A little of them goes a long ways LOL

So many of the guys on here talk about the Wildthings terribly, but they are really a great little saw.
They don't have near the vibration that some of the old Macs people rave about do.
They will certainly out cut the David Bradleys and sand cast Poulans and they are lighter than the Stihls of just a few years ago.
They start a LOT easier than our beloved S25's and many others.
I am firmly convinced that they are the BEST $109.00 saw there is available.
If a guy was to swap on some orange and white plastic and double the price, folks would probably rave about them....................oh wait.................Stihl did that already!!!

Mike

So many of the guys on here talk about the Wildthings terribly, but they are really a great little saw.
They don't have near the vibration that some of the old Macs people rave about do.
They will certainly out cut the David Bradleys and sand cast Poulans and they are lighter than the Stihls of just a few years ago.
They start a LOT easier than our beloved S25's and many others.
I am firmly convinced that they are the BEST $109.00 saw there is available.
If a guy was to swap on some orange and white plastic and double the price, folks would probably rave about them....................oh wait.................Stihl did that already!!!

Mike

Think I'll still pass on the modern Poulans. The WoodShark I owned back around 2001 was more than enough to convince me to stay far away of today's Poulans. Wouldn't stay running for nothing. Got the Carb adjusted several times to no avail. As soon as the WoodShark returned to idle it died. Never met a Chainsaw that required to lock the throttle to start it either. Now they're even worse because somebody with the IQ of a Rock decided to fix something that wasn't broken. I'm talking about that Craptastic Tool-Less Chain Adjustment System. I like Poulans, just NOT the modern models.

Think I'll still pass on the modern Poulans. The WoodShark I owned back around 2001 was more than enough to convince me to stay far away of today's Poulans. Wouldn't stay running for nothing. Got the Carb adjusted several times to no avail. As soon as the WoodShark returned to idle it died. Never met a Chainsaw that required to lock the throttle to start it either. Now they're even worse because somebody with the IQ of a Rock decided to fix something that wasn't broken. I'm talking about that Craptastic Tool-Less Chain Adjustment System. I like Poulans, just NOT the modern models.

Willie, why are you hear? Your in the Poulan thread dissin a Poulan?

Your telling us how great a 4000 is? How many have you owned? How many have you ran? How many have you even seen in person?

How many wild things have you owned? Why are you here spouting off?

You asked me to paint your blue Craftsman because you didnt like blue. Why did you buy a blue Craftsman?

Sorry just trying to find out some back ground on you to see if what you tell us is from experiance or just some internet forum BS.

Personally I think I have found out what I need to know to form a opinion.

1. Willie, why are you hear? Your in the Poulan thread dissin a Poulan?

2. Your telling us how great a 4000 is? How many have you owned? How many have you ran? How many have you even seen in person?

3. How many wild things have you owned? Why are you here spouting off?

4. You asked me to paint your blue Craftsman because you didnt like blue. Why did you buy a blue Craftsman?

Sorry just trying to find out some back ground on you to see if what you tell us is from experiance or just some internet forum BS.

Personally I think I have found out what I need to know to form a opinion.

Answers:

1. My name is William, NOT Willie. You seem to be a pretty respectable and very knowlegable guy so why the personal attack?

2. Haven't personally ran a 4000 but have been around people that have.

3. WoodShark or WildThing, all modern Poulans lack the quality of their Ancestors. Would you be surprised to find out that I think the same way about modern Homelites and McCullochs?

4. I asked you to paint a RED Craftsman branded Poulan Blue because I hate the color RED. I bought a Blue Craftsman branded Poulan S25 because I happen to like the color Blue.

Personally I think I found what I need to know as well to form an opinion. Now please go take some Chill Pills, Snort some Happy Dust, or get Laid to put you in a better frame of mind.

Answers:

1. My name is William, NOT Willie. You seem to be a pretty respectable and very knowlegable guy so why the personal attack?

2. Haven't personally ran a 4000 but have been around people that have.

3. WoodShark or WildThing, all modern Poulans lack the quality of their Ancestors. Would you be surprised to find out that I think the same way about modern Homelites and McCullochs?

4. I asked you to paint a RED Craftsman branded Poulan Blue because I hate the color RED. I bought a Blue Craftsman branded Poulan S25 because I happen to like the color Blue.

Personally I think I found what I need to know as well to form an opinion. Now please go take some Chill Pills, Snort some Happy Dust, or get Laid to put you in a better frame of mind.

No personal attack, one of my best friends name is Willie, so just habit to me to say Willie.

So you proclaim a 4000 to be great but have no, nada, zip experiance with one. Evidently you have no experiance with a Wildthing either, but your still hear taliking them down like you do.

Correct?

Maybe you should go over to the McCulloch or Homelite threads and talk down about them and see what reaction you get there.

You have very little experiance with chainsaws from your postings.

No problem there but lots of others who do, disagree with your opinion about the Wildthing.

Stay cool there Willie, stick around and learn what you can!

Latest posts

Back