Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even you Poulan guys gotta admit this one's uGGLy... Yeah, the top covers were purple.

DSC01191.jpg

OK so its definaly ugly but was it good? Would it be worth picking up one of that style and size but prefrebly in different colors.

You should see some Husky there.
If I'm not mistaken that was one of the first "new" models after Husky bought them out.
Ugly saws need love too!

It pops and runs when force feed premix. I will store it away for now. Rescued it from the scrapman. Not sure why.

I meant that more as a broader question, Were those saws any good, like a decent saw? Or was that style of saw more of junker like the later ones You know wildthingy style.

Not counting yours as I see it has the wildthingy colors but dont have the same shape as the later ones

I meant that more as a broader question,

I will have to let someone else answer that one. When the owner told me it was purple and green, I thought it would be the
Wildthingus Commonus native to Asia. I've never seen the American sub-species in captivity before.

Last edited:
Don't quote me on this, and Mark or some of the more knowledgeable Poulan guys around here, correct me if I am wrong but,

I think this was the model that replaced the 3400 after Husky bought them out. The engine was virtually the same as the 3400 and if I'm not mistaken, for a while, was the exact same as the 3400 engine. There was also a 3750 that was the same basic saw that you have there with the 3700 engine and black (I believe) accents instead of purple.
These are almost (but not quite in my opinion) as good as the saws they replaced. They are said to have better anti-vibe and ergonomics although they always felt clumsy to me. (That may have been because I was so used to the 3400)

The plastic on these is OBVIOUSLY softer and thinner than their predecessors and they are a little lighter, but not a lot to me.
The dealers were pushing the power to weight and softer plastic saying the softer plastic would "give" more without breaking than the 3400 series.
I remember not being impressed by the sales pitch.

In short the answer is "Yes" the 50 series of saws are pretty good, and a great beater or "brother in law" saw, and worth fixing if you don't have to get too deep into them. Fuel lines and filter, air filter, spark plug and a carb kit and they are usually ready to go. (unless they have been straight gassed)

Mike

Don't quote me on this, and Mark or some of the more knowledgeable Poulan guys around here, correct me if I am wrong but,

I think this was the model that replaced the 3400 after Husky bought them out. The engine was virtually the same as the 3400 and if I'm not mistaken, for a while, was the exact same as the 3400 engine. There was also a 3750 that was the same basic saw that you have there with the 3700 engine and black (I believe) accents instead of purple.
These are almost (but not quite in my opinion) as good as the saws they replaced. They are said to have better anti-vibe and ergonomics although they always felt clumsy to me. (That may have been because I was so used to the 3400)

The plastic on these is OBVIOUSLY softer and thinner than their predecessors and they are a little lighter, but not a lot to me.
The dealers were pushing the power to weight and softer plastic saying the softer plastic would "give" more without breaking than the 3400 series.
I remember not being impressed by the sales pitch.

In short the answer is "Yes" the 50 series of saws are pretty good, and a great beater or "brother in law" saw, and worth fixing if you don't have to get too deep into them. Fuel lines and filter, air filter, spark plug and a carb kit and they are usually ready to go. (unless they have been straight gassed)

Mike

Mike, your on in the right church but in the wrong pew.

That series, 3450 3750 etc did come after the 3400-4000 series but they were complety new, different saw's that really shared no parts that I can think of. Don't forget the higher up Poulan Pro version's like the 330, 336, 365 and super 380.

I like the newer versions a little better, as there lighter, slimmer and they just feel right. Plus they have better gear driven adjustable oilers and a better antivibe system.

The downside and not much of one is the A041 style bar mounts they used.

My PP365 is one of my favorites to use.

attachment.php

Btw, did I mention that I got a 4000 coming this week as well as the 3700? :clap:

There is a new thread from a new member (Applehead) near the top of the page. He has a 4000 that he is thinking about retiring in favor of a 757.

I told him that he should post up in this thread so he may be showing off his 4000 here.

:cheers:

Btw, did I mention that I got a 4000 coming this week as well as the 3700? :clap:

Congrats Mark! When you have a chance (if you plan to pull jugs) compare rings on your 3700. I have two, both with regular width rings. I hear there are some with narrow rings like the 4000. However try and order regular rings for the 3700. All I get are thin rings. Very frustrating!!! Bob

Mike, your on in the right church but in the wrong pew.

That series, 3450 3750 etc did come after the 3400-4000 series but they were complety new, different saw's that really shared no parts that I can think of. Don't forget the higher up Poulan Pro version's like the 330, 336, 365 and super 380.

I like the newer versions a little better, as there lighter, slimmer and they just feel right. Plus they have better gear driven adjustable oilers and a better antivibe system.

The downside and not much of one is the A041 style bar mounts they used.

My PP365 is one of my favorites to use.

attachment.php

How much smaller is the PP330? Can't find it on Mike Acres site.

How much smaller is the PP330? Can't find it on Mike Acres site.

I think the 330 is like 54cc/3.3ci. There a little different then this 365, look at the air filter cover.

Far as I know the 3450/3750 in green and the Poulan Pro 330 and super 380 are in the same familey

The 365 shares with many including your 3000.

Well the 3700 thats suppose to be coming is pretty rough from what I could tell, so since it's suppose to have good compression , I had planned on useing it for parts and transplanting the P/C on that last 3400 that I picked up.

I will check the rings out, and since I'm switching jugs I may decide to re ring it at that time as well.

Hold on to them rings, maybe I'll need em.

Latest posts

Back