Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's different between Poulan and Poulan Pro

I've searched AS and nothing comes up, but I remember something about PP (yellow having plated cylinders
while green does not.) Then I read PP330 grn is a pro saw.

I'm interested because I recently got a 2003 vintage PP260 free.

specs... Model Profile: 260

I've searched AS and nothing comes up, but I remember something about PP (yellow having plated cylinders

Boy, a lot of conversation can be had with this question. ModifiedMark and a few others will hopefully jump in with their vast knowledge. You may be correct in your thoughts on the unplated and plated cylinders. The PP330 is an older saw and I believe was the last 50cc plus saw labelled as Poulan Pro. As far as pro vs. consumer saws I'm of the opinion that clamshell saws are consumer saws and the pro saws have split crankcases. I believe your PP260 is a clamshell saw. But I'm far from an expert .
Bob

Help with a siezed clutch, please.

Yesterday I decided to clean-up my 3.7/3700. When I was reinstalling the b&c, I noticed that the engine while turning when I was checking the chain tension. I gave the clutch a look, and yes the shoes are touching the drum. This' the first time that I've ran into this. I haven't yet removed the clutch.

I also noticed some light scoring on the intake side of the jug; looks like this saw will be up for a tear-down.

You are correct, the PP260 is a clamshell saw with a plated cylinder. It is a decent little saw very much like the Stihl MS250 except much less money. With a muffler mod, non safety chain and a 16" bar it will surprise many people.

The PP330 is a pro grade saw, plated cylinder, vertically split cases, adjustable oiler, and the list goes on.

I have a 330 with a slight muffler mod that will run with and maybe spank a stock MS361. With just a little tinkering they will really wake up.

Craftsman 3.4

I had all intentions to sell this one. But after looking at it closer I found a very low hour saw. It did clean up very nice and looked as good inside as out. I tore it down and removed every thing but the cyl. Cleaned and rebuilt carb, new fuel line, filter and vent. New plug I do need to order an air filter before I do any cutting. I also did my first "real" muffler mod. I did do one other hack job on a 4000 that involved drilling 4 3/8" holes into the front of the muffler. It has the orig. 16" banana on it and judging by the wear it was only used on brush and smaller stuff. Havemt fueled it up yet but Im not too concerned about that, It ran on a prime and has good compression. Marks said it before and I agree, the Craftsman saws just dont usually show the wear that the Poulans do. This one was certainly a homeowner saw. Its an '85 by the way.
Picture097.jpg

Picture098.jpg

Picture099.jpg

Picture100.jpg

Picture101.jpg

I had all intentions to sell this one. But after looking at it closer I found a very low hour saw. It did clean up very nice and looked as good inside as out. I tore it down and removed every thing but the cyl. Cleaned and rebuilt carb, new fuel line, filter and vent. New plug I do need to order an air filter before I do any cutting. I also did my first "real" muffler mod. I did do one other hack job on a 4000 that involved drilling 4 3/8" holes into the front of the muffler. It has the orig. 16" banana on it and judging by the wear it was only used on brush and smaller stuff. Havemt fueled it up yet but Im not too concerned about that, It ran on a prime and has good compression. Marks said it before and I agree, the Craftsman saws just dont usually show the wear that the Poulans do. This one was certainly a homeowner saw. Its an '85 by the way.

Picture101.jpg

Joe that looks pretty darn good. Did you use heat on that muffler to open it up?

I always heat up red hot and they bend right open and you can actually get the back of your deflector raised up. Looks pretty good though!

Dayton 2Z461

Nik sent this Dayton home with me from the Poulan GTG. Its in pretty good shape, but it was acting up and giving some trouble.

I actually thought I would try a auto oiler conversion on it since I had a roached out Dayton 4CI parts saw here for a donor.

Well Chris and I tore into it sunday, found the auto oiler coversion would indeed work but the pump shaft on the donor saw was stripped so we fixed the starter pawl spring, clutch springs, blocked off the governor and fixed some oil line fittings. We put this neat 16" roller nose bar on it and headed for the wood pile.

It's a good runner now. Tore right through a 16" oak log with glee. I'm still going to try the auto oiler conversion if I can find a pump shaft or another pump. One from a 400A, 401A, Dayton or Wright version should work. Keep your eyes out for one.

She's a good looker as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Joe that looks pretty darn good. Did you use heat on that muffler to open it up?

I always heat up red hot and they bend right open and you can actually get the back of your deflector raised up. Looks pretty good though!

Thats good to know mark. I wish I had done that, I etched a line, then used a sharp 3/4" cold chisel, then I clamped a piece of steel in my vise, then clamped the muffler to that. Then I tapped it open and bent it with needled nose pliers.

Nik sent this Dayton home with me from the Poulan GTG. Its in pretty good shape, but it was acting up and giving some trouble.

I actually thought I would try a auto oiler conversion on it since I had a roached out Dayton 4CI parts saw here for a donor.

Well Chris and I tore into it sunday, found the auto oiler coversion would indeed work but the pump shaft on the donor saw was stripped so we fixed the starter pawl spring, clutch springs, blocked off the governor and fixed some oil line fittings. We put this neat 16" roller nose bar on it and headed for the wood pile.

It's a good runner now. Tore right through a 16" oak log with glee. I'm still going to try the auto oiler conversion if I can find a pump shaft or another pump. One from a 400A, 401A, Dayton or Wright version should work. Keep your eyes out for one.

She's a good looker as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice saw Mark. That actually looks more similar to the 306A

Thats good to know mark. I wish I had done that, I etched a line, then used a sharp 3/4" cold chisel, then I clamped a piece of steel in my vise, then clamped the muffler to that. Then I tapped it open and bent it with needled nose pliers.

Joe, I stick the 2 muffler halves together and then clamp them in a vise that way. I use a cutoff wheel to get the slot started then finish it up with a hack saw blade.

See how much higher the back of the slot is that way...

attachment.php

I should have mentioned the Dayton is a Poulan 361....

Joe, I stick the 2 muffler halves together and then clamp them in a vise that way. I use a cutoff wheel to get the slot started then finish it up with a hack saw blade.

See how much higher the back of the slot is that way...

attachment.php

I should have mentioned the Dayton is a Poulan 361....

Yeah, that does look better. Ill have to try that on my my next one. Heres mine for comparison.
Picture100.jpg

Good to hear Mark. So was it the governor that was giving him fits? I assume this is a Tillotson carb? I always block those off as well.

Big Bock Poulan mufflers

So I just love the Poulan 4200 mufflers what a work of art!!!!! Think its one of the best designed, Partner p100 are ok do to dual configuration but restrictive, but these are OPEN, easy work on, tough, and have a SEWER PIPE outlet! that is a real pipe extending inward 2",
THEY JUST LOOK COOL!!! theres too many ways to mod it but I see very little reason to touch it, maybe enlarge baffle tube holes?
Again a WORK OF ART

Back