Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks

Here's a better looking IPL for you, Z.

Poulan 3400 IPL

Much clearer IPL, mucho gracias! One of my questions was answered, looks like the button and pintle arrangement is designed to come out and be replaced. Wonder why it was so sticky at first? Apparently the "black box" part of the pump is still part of the equation though, there has to be *something* in there, but it is sold as a sealed unit (outside the manual oiler part) and is NLA unless you luck out someplace. I hope I don't have to do surgery on it, my luck with gluing plastic back together has not been very good in the past. Guess I'll pull the manual oiler stuff out, spray it out, shake it around see if I hear anything loose in there. I pumped mix fuel through there, thought that would be sufficient internal cleaning...

Has anyone here ever checked that out, cut one open or at least shook it, see if anything is in there? Seems, I am just surmising, there should be something like a one way or check valve inside one of those things for the diaphragm to work properly. I can't see any way for it to work otherwise. The impulses would just be pushing back and forth then, trying to move the oil two different ways during each up and down piston travel. I think. I guess. I don't know.

Why the heck don't they make the drivers on chains suck the oil out? Why the need for pumps anyway? If they shaped the back of the driver link correctly, it would be little suction cups all yanking oil droplets down the bar, have another hole near the roller part that acted as a flow interrupter and blow the droplets out, atomize 'em right at that spot, so they schmear all over the chain and roller and into the bearing there. Then all you would need is a vented tank, tube and adjustment valve for how much ya want.

Proly too hard to machine I guess, and would wear out fast. In racing or hypermiling they call it "drafting".

I made it to the flea markets today, managed to drag 5 saws home, 4 of which were Poulan built. Two were Craftsman and two were Daytons. No pics yet. Here's the lineup, 2z463b, 3.0 and 2.0 Craftsman and one Dayton that looks like a 25DA, didn't get the number of it yet. Oh yeah, the other was a 015L Stihl parts saw, locked up. Piston looked good and clean, maybe that's not what locked up. I'll check it out when I have some time.

I made it to the flea markets today, managed to drag 5 saws home, 4 of which were Poulan built. Two were Craftsman and two were Daytons. No pics yet. Here's the lineup, 2z463b, 3.0 and 2.0 Craftsman and one Dayton that looks like a 25DA, didn't get the number of it yet. Oh yeah, the other was a 015L Stihl parts saw, locked up. Piston looked good and clean, maybe that's not what locked up. I'll check it out when I have some time.

Sounds like you had a good day, and nice pickup on a 2z463b/Poulan 245.

Got to working on that Dayton/Poulan 361 that Nik gave me today. The plan was to covert it over to a auto oiler from a Dayton 2Z462A parts saw. Well the pump plunger was shot on it so I'll have to find another to takle that project...

Anyone got one laying around? A 400A or 401A pump is also the same.

Sounds like you had a good day, and nice pickup on a 2z463b/Poulan 245.

I already have one that I picked up about two years ago, this one is a little worse as the engine appears to be stuck. I'm not giving up on it yet as I've un-stuck several before, a few stuck ones turned out to be something other than piston/cylinder corrosion. I figured I didn't get hurt too bad for $7.50.

Got to working on that Dayton/Poulan 361 that Nik gave me today. The plan was to covert it over to a auto oiler from a Dayton 2Z462A parts saw. Well the pump plunger was shot on it so I'll have to find another to takle that project...

Anyone got one laying around? A 400A or 401A pump is also the same.

I ran across a complete 361 today which the owner said would run. I couldn't get them below the $40 price though. I guess I should have bought it but room is getting a little scarce around here at the present. It looked like it would clean up well.

looked closer and got it

Took the 3400 apart again, removed oiler assembly, unscrewed the output line, popped off the inlet line in the spring and found it, cracked inlet line where it was hard to see. Trashed it along with that spring, stuck a short piece of fuel line on it, carb spray blew out the filter/weight dealie, did the same with the black box assembly, stuck it back together, few pumps, few revs, oiling fine, nice neat spray lines on the clean wood. Just came from the backyard where I cut up a buncha pine logs.

attachment.php

It's got *real* decent power and revs smooth. Got a 20 Oregon on it with a stihl rsc loop. Got no dawg though! Didn't come with one....man, help a brutha out, I got like quality swappage, nice old semi bent mower blades and like...bupkis, got nuthin....oh well, add to the junk pile some more. I'll keep scrounging....

Next one on the bench should be easier.....that one runs fine, but the same thing, no oil, either manual or auto.

Poulan 4200

My Ebay 4200 arrived today, Guess I didn't get toooooo screwed this time!!! PERFECT cylinder and piston, broken starter rope and no air filter, and slightly bent full wrap (no biggy) Haven't checked anything else, Worn YES, scratched YES, cracks NO. I'll check her out and send pics. Price was steep at $58.00.

Duane

AIR FILTER?????????????????????????? anyone?????

My Ebay 4200 arrived today, Guess I didn't get toooooo screwed this time!!! PERFECT cylinder and piston, broken starter rope and no air filter, and slightly bent full wrap (no biggy) Haven't checked anything else, Worn YES, scratched YES, cracks NO. I'll check her out and send pics. Price was steep at $58.00.

Duane

AIR FILTER?????????????????????????? anyone?????

Sounds like you did well.

Air filters are very hard to find. There were some on ebay but the sellers know that there NLA and charge like it.

Took the 3400 apart again, removed oiler assembly, unscrewed the output line, popped off the inlet line in the spring and found it, cracked inlet line where it was hard to see. Trashed it along with that spring, stuck a short piece of fuel line on it, carb spray blew out the filter/weight dealie, did the same with the black box assembly, stuck it back together, few pumps, few revs, oiling fine, nice neat spray lines on the clean wood. Just came from the backyard where I cut up a buncha pine logs.

attachment.php

It's got *real* decent power and revs smooth. Got a 20 Oregon on it with a stihl rsc loop. Got no dawg though! Didn't come with one....man, help a brutha out, I got like quality swappage, nice old semi bent mower blades and like...bupkis, got nuthin....oh well, add to the junk pile some more. I'll keep scrounging....

Next one on the bench should be easier.....that one runs fine, but the same thing, no oil, either manual or auto.

I may have a dawg as I typically don't use one on my 3400s. With a 20 it might be okay. Pm me Ur address and Il send one. Il see if I have the screws somewhere.
Bob

oh, thanks man

I may have a dawg as I typically don't use one on my 3400s. With a 20 it might be okay. Pm me Ur address and Il send one. Il see if I have the screws somewhere.
Bob

I wasn't really begging I was joking, like I do in most of my posts..can't help it, built in hardwired DNA or something... I really don't have much swap stuff yet....err, except for those *quality* previously owned custom bent mower blades...and beeyootiful locked up spindles...and a right fair collection of oddball belts...totally whipped, but dang it, can't make myself chunk them out when I got handy nails in the shed wall to hang them on.....

I'll think what I might have that is worth a swap. I've only been collecting parts a short time lately. I don't have near the accumulated parts and junker saws most of you guys have. Now if ya got at least around a 24" d176 mount bar, and loops or not with it, safety is fine, (for my 245a), let me know and I'll PM ya then, I can make myself afford one of those with something decent I might have..and the dawg.... ;)

Sd104...

Great day you had!

Nice finds and of course I'm giddy over your find of the SD104. Not alot of info out there on the Poulan/Sachs Dolmar partnership.

The only info I can find on the 104 is in a Poulan model date control sheet and its listed under the brand Hobby, not Sachs Dolmar, but we know that the other rebadged Poulans Dolmar had were called Hobby. It shows production started in 1979. Dolmar brought out there own top handle 105 in 1980 so that SD 104 might have been a one year and done for them. Sachs Dolmars 105 while not a bad saw at all does not seem like a upgrade anywhere compared to your SD104.

You saw of course is based on the 2.3CI Poulan S25CVA but like I said yesterday it is not a exact match with most of its Poulan counter parts.

Post a picture of that muffler style that was on it and I'll see what I can scrape up for you, that saw deserves a second chance.

I myself might have another relabeled Poulan 25DA on the way also. This time in Allis Chalmers orange.

Hi Guys: 67 Mustang, Modifiedmark Chris J, Stubnail67 Joe25DA...Thanks for the interest in the Sachs Dolmar 104. Yes it was my best day EVER on going for chainsaws. Thought some of you guys were way too lucky, finally, I got my day. Mark I especially thought you would like it I don't think I saw a posted pic from you with one?. Great background info, I enjoy knowing where and when these things came about. An Allis Chalmers coming?, looking forward to some pics, good for you., thought I saw one you posted a while ago maybe it was a micro? dial up is so slow to reload all the old pages, and so many now!

This little one is even nicer shape than the Craftsman 2.3, s25da rebadge I got a month-ish ago.. Cleaner and a Poulan S25CVA rebadge. Soon I can check the power difference between the micro 2.3ci non av PP180 that I love to take on the limbs with, against these little devils.
Joe since you are also posting yours and now stubnail67 (and Others..), it got me real envious and wanted one! new focus...now I have 2! Though not green ones.

Since I started branching out into more and bigger models I find that I like using the smaller, nimbler ones for the small stuff and the more robust ones when there is a lot more wood to chew through. Much better than my original 1-saw plan with the PP180. I did cut a lot with my one and only for well over a decade and didn't know what I was missing
Now I have over 2 dozen, in various states of repair: yes this is an addictive, economical hobby, not bad for a bit over a year... Love it

Mark Here is a pic of the muffler . And some pre cleaning pics. My Craftsman (s25da) doesn't have the outer chain guide plate maybe it is a chain brake exclusive or S-D rebadge addition? I will search for s25da/cva chain brake IPL's unless some one directs me to one beforehand.
Cannot install clutch cover with the chain brake in the unlocked position...it will not lock, can't see any missing parts or damage yet, but I think that is why this one didn't get much use
Thanks
Paul

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ps oh yes fuel line and filter are being changed during the cleanup. I will repost when I get her running in the wood

View attachment 206198
View attachment 206199
View attachment 206200
View attachment 206201

Hi Guys: 67 Mustang, Modifiedmark Chris J, Stubnail67 Joe25DA...Thanks for the interest in the Sachs Dolmar 104. Yes it was my best day EVER on going for chainsaws. Thought some of you guys were way too lucky, finally, I got my day. Mark I especially thought you would like it I don't think I saw a posted pic from you with one?. Great background info, I enjoy knowing where and when these things came about. An Allis Chalmers coming?, looking forward to some pics, good for you., thought I saw one you posted a while ago maybe it was a micro? dial up is so slow to reload all the old pages, and so many now!

This little one is even nicer shape than the Craftsman 2.3, s25da rebadge I got a month-ish ago.. Cleaner and a Poulan S25CVA rebadge. Soon I can check the power difference between the micro 2.3ci non av PP180 that I love to take on the limbs with, against these little devils.
Joe since you are also posting yours and now stubnail67 (and Others..), it got me real envious and wanted one! new focus...now I have 2! Though not green ones.

Since I started branching out into more and bigger models I find that I like using the smaller, nimbler ones for the small stuff and the more robust ones when there is a lot more wood to chew through. Much better than my original 1-saw plan with the PP180. I did cut a lot with my one and only for well over a decade and didn't know what I was missing
Now I have over 2 dozen, in various states of repair: yes this is an addictive, economical hobby, not bad for a bit over a year... Love it

Mark Here is a pic of the muffler . And some pre cleaning pics. My Craftsman (s25da) doesn't have the outer chain guide plate maybe it is a chain brake exclusive or S-D rebadge addition? I will search for s25da/cva chain brake IPL's unless some one directs me to one beforehand.
Cannot install clutch cover with the chain brake in the unlocked position...it will not lock, can't see any missing parts or damage yet, but I think that is why this one didn't get much use
Thanks
Paul

ps oh yes fuel line and filter are being changed during the cleanup. I will repost when I get her running in the wood

View attachment 206198
View attachment 206199
View attachment 206200
View attachment 206201

That is a great find, I dont know if it will help but here is the Poulan instruction sheet on the S25 chain brakes. It tells how to adjust them.

I'm sure I can fix you up with a muffler, just needed to know what style it used. I'll also find a good original starter handle, that Mac handle has got to go. Give me a day or two to dig one out.

Latest posts

Back