Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't even imagine the culture shock of leaving metro california to wyoming.....you will probably add 20 years to your life....my heartfelt congratulations to you.....that is purty country.....and the folks are not in so much of a hurry....and most of them are sane....

Well it will be alittle bit of a change but my wife is from there and all her family is still there. I have been going up there every year now for 39 years and hunted, fished, camped, and have gone into the mountains on horse back with one of my BIL with the snow blowing sideways. So in that respect I know what to expect. It will be a slower pace though and the freedom to do what I want. If I want to paint a car in my garage I can. If I want shoot a gun I can. If I want to run a saw I can. Get my electric guitar out and crank it up I can. That will be the change for me. It can't get here soon enough.

I put together a pic of three saws I would consider using over a ms290 of the three the only one I would consider using for a full day of cutting would be the 3400.

Photo0761_zps27860ea0.jpg

So why the 3400. Is it because they look good, or the impressive power, or maybe the antivibe.

The anti vibe is important but also the power to weight, it is nearly the same as the 10-10 but with a smoother ride, the electronic ignition and quieter muffler is also a plus.

The anti vibe is important but also the power to weight, it is nearly the same as the 10-10 but with a smoother ride, the electronic ignition and quieter muffler is also a plus.

I think what surprises me the most about the 3400 is how many of them are still around running and still being used by alot people to heat their homes. They must have sold a ton of them at one time. Also the fact that they used the same bottom end for the 3700,3800, 395,and 4000 tells me, that it is very robust and will hold up to alot of use.

*UPDATE* I got to looking at the two barrel set up on the saw and noticed the strato butterfly port thingy would hang when going to WOT and that was causing my bog and stall.
A little cleaning and oiling the return spring and shaft and it is working like it should now no more problems and also on the fuel lines only the fuel pick up is tygon and the rest is vinyl blah... but hey they saw is fixed woohoo :rock:

Craftsman 3.7

I just had my brother pick up a CL purchase of a Craftsman 3.7 - 18" in Eugene, Or. From the pictures it looks just like a Poulan "counter-vibe" in red. Anyone know the exact cc's of this saw? I'm guessing 60cc. Search revealed conflicting information. Some say its a 3400, 3700, or 3800 Poulan. Anyone?

I just had my brother pick up a CL purchase of a Craftsman 3.7 - 18" in Eugene, Or. From the pictures it looks just like a Poulan "counter-vibe" in red. Anyone know the exact cc's of this saw? I'm guessing 60cc. Search revealed conflicting information. Some say its a 3400, 3700, or 3800 Poulan. Anyone?

More than likely its a 3.7, only way to know is to measure the bore. It was never Poulans, and seldom Sears, method of operation to sell you less than advertised. Often under warranty, Sears installed the 3.7, even on the 3.4, to simplify inventory.

Maybe you are capable of learned behavior.

If you're using that sticky bar oil it might help to fill it up next time with regular old motor oil. It seems to go through the older saws better than the sticky stuff. Just like in a car use thinner oil when the weather is cold.

Note: I didn't mean to use OLD motor oil or used motor oil.

I don't think those diaphrams like to pump thick oil when it's cold. You might try a lighter oil or cut it with kerosine or diesel fuel and see if that helps.

You fellas may be on to something. I replaced the oiler case side gasket in the 3700, and let it and the 3400 sit for an hour with ATF in the oil tanks to see if it would help "condition" the diaphragms. They spit that light 5 wt ATF all over the place. I will give a generic multi weight 5w-30 or 10w-30 a try. Thanks.......or should I use synthetic oil:msp_tongue: JK

*UPDATE* I got to looking at the two barrel set up on the saw and noticed the strato butterfly port thingy would hang when going to WOT and that was causing my bog and stall.
A little cleaning and oiling the return spring and shaft and it is working like it should now no more problems and also on the fuel lines only the fuel pick up is tygon and the rest is vinyl blah... but hey they saw is fixed woohoo :rock:

You might want to cross post that fix into the main 5020 thread, those are apparently becoming quite popular saws.

The piston and rings will tell you the story for 3700 vs 3800. Thin for 3700. If its a thin ring saw with a chrome bore, you know what you have wight measuring...... As long as its stock.

You might want to cross post that fix into the main 5020 thread, those are apparently becoming quite popular saws.

Yes they are becoming quite the popular saw they seem to run and cut really good and respond well to general mods like a muffler mod i wish poulan would come out with spec sheets on it because it is a guessing game when your replacing the parts or tuning it.

I thin 30w Wally World bar oil four or five to one with kerosene for several of my old timers. Diesel would be cheaper.

You got a TSC near by? you could try the non detergent 10w and 20w straight grades they sell i usually just buy the itasca bar oil because a local farmers co-op has it for 9.00 per gallon

More than likely its a 3.7, only way to know is to measure the bore. It was never Poulans, and seldom Sears, method of operation to sell you less than advertised. Often under warranty, Sears installed the 3.7, even on the 3.4, to simplify inventory.

This is what the saw looks like.

KGrHqRiIFD2Ejo2f-BRNuhLpIrw60_57_zpsecc960c4.jpg

The piston and rings will tell you the story for 3700 vs 3800. Thin for 3700. If its a thin ring saw with a chrome bore, you know what you have wight measuring...... As long as its stock.

This in't a rebadged Poulan?

KGrHqRiIFD2Ejo2f-BRNuhLpIrw60_57_zpsecc960c4.jpg

It is a Poulan Steve. They're telling you which one it may be (3400, 3700, 3800) depending on the bore measurement and whether it has thin or thick rings. Post up the 358.xxxxx Sears model #. We can tell from that which Poulan it should be (will most likely be a 3700 or 3800 as it's labeled "3.7"). As Jeff said however, Sears and Poulan sometimes use 'better' parts than what's advertised on the saw. There was a Canadian 3400 so that was actually a 4000. Funny things are done sometimes to meet a price point and production quota...

Back