Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the information. I'll post the numbers when I actually get the saw in a couple of weeks. I got it with case for $55. Guy stated he spent 3 hours refurbing it. Cleaning, fuel lines etc... Gotta say, I'm really digging on how well built the metal Poulans are. No experience with the plastic ones.

Last edited:
This is what the saw looks like.

KGrHqRiIFD2Ejo2f-BRNuhLpIrw60_57_zpsecc960c4.jpg

Good score. It looks like it's hardly been used.

i can see where it would be lighter but gonna be kinda hard to cut w/o a bar dontchathink?:laugh:

I did my weight comparisons with no bars attached since most 20 inch bars and 3/8 chain will weight about the same, I had to piece that 3400 together as I do not have a runner just a bunch of parts saws and I used an actual 10-10 and a different SXL for the weight comparisons but when it came time for photo's I grabbed the closest saws and the mac in the pic is a super 6-10 but it looks exactly like a early 2-10 and the sxl is one I have for sale and was near by. I have run a 3400 but it sold last year and I have yet to piece another one back together. It is my bad, I was a bit lazy.

You might want to cross post that fix into the main 5020 thread, those are apparently becoming quite popular saws.

I'll be setting them up with 325 and 3/8 set ups at my place. Every poulan 325 spur and rim set up drum in the moon fits them in 3000 305 335 3300 3500 365 etc etc etc etc. it is endless. :rock: Oh plus some Echo :msp_tongue:

To show the wild thing owners a bigger cc saw for cheap price and stihl 290 owners a cheaper saw only 6.5cc smaller and half to over half the cost. :cool2::bowdown::msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbup:.

The little plastic Poulans aren't bad for their intended use and price range. Don't expect to cut down a giant redwood tree with a 40cc saw with an 18" bar on it that cost less than $100.

After having gone through a Stihl MS180 this past weekend, I can state without reservation that the Poulan is a better saw in every respect.

The Poulan has an adjustable carburetor.
The Poulan is actually held together by bolts and screws.
The Poulan has an oiler that you can change in about 20 minutes without and special tools.
The Poulan oiler will DROWN the Stihl!
The Poulan comes with a REAL chain!
The Poulan has BUILT IN oil and fuel tanks.
The Poulan has TYGON fuel lines, that you can buy anywhere.
The Poulan has a primer.
The Poulan is cheaper, more available and the parts ar VASTLY more affordable!

I could go on but I think you get the picture!

I know Mark does!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Mike

After having gone through a Stihl MS180 this past weekend, I can state without reservation that the Poulan is a better saw in every respect.

The Poulan has an oiler that you can change in about 20 minutes without and special tools.
The Poulan has a primer.

Mike

Didn't take you but 50 somfin years to figure that one out????????

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Them there stihls are made for sellin to those that have them creamsickle blinders on.......jus sayin....

The Poulan has a primer.

Mike

The Poulan doesn't have a stamped steel connecting rod.

The Poulan isn't call a sissy name like "Mini Boss"

The Poulan don't have those troublesome inboard clutch and brake problems.

I have a bunch of micro cylinders if anyone is interested. Brand new. If only they were 4000 jugs..lol.

but its a Stihl!....:msp_w00t: I have a 036 and a 024....there are O.K. but I have some old green saws that are better than O.K.

I swear the 024 was based on a poulan 3000. It's like they copied it, then changed just enough to avoid patent laws..... And every change made it suck to work on. They just seem very similar to me.

That will be enough of that blasphemy Stephen this is the poulan sticky :jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
No the 405 is around 65cc and the 8500 is around 85cc. Just saying that is around a 20cc difference.

75 psi of compression that is not good, sounds like maybe the piston and cylinder are bad.

The Poulan has a primer.

Mike

Agree with your points, but I am still not sure they are a better buy than a quality used saw. Worked on a 2009 Craftsman 4218 (358-350990) last night. One magnet was stamped in the flywheel slightly cockeyed, with a raised lip. The flywheel was dragging on the ignition. Adjusting the ignition in the flimsy case was difficult. The 18 " lo-pro skip chain isn't exactly awe inspiring ....The Chinese carb is giving me fits and soaking in a parts washer overnight. In fairness it has received no love from the owner, and had 5 month old gas in it. I will give it props for the 150 compression.

The engineering may be sound, but I question the execution.....What else could you get for $180:dunno:

Latest posts

Back