Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gregg I dont know these carbs. But ones that have a brass screw in governor. I just unscrew, put a BB in and put brass gov back in.
Basically the ones I have delt with just flood the saw when to high of rpm is reached. This BB underneath lets you adjust past that and bypasses the gov flooding out the saw.

you guys are so ahead of me, i am just learning how to put the saws together. You guys talk about modding this, adjusting that, blocking off this etc etc. I am writing it all down so go slow!!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ok, I just had to go out and confirm what model carbs they were.:msp_tongue:
All the 5200 carbs I have are HS-176A's. All the 4200 carbs I have are HS-168A's.
The only difference that I know of, is the use of a governor on the 176A's.

How those relate to a 4900 or 6900 I don't know. I don't have either of those models.:mad:

:cheers:
Gregg,

All the 5200 carbs I have are HS-176A's. All the 4200 carbs I have are HS-168A's.

How those relate to a 4900 or 6900 I don't know. I don't have either of those models.:mad:

Gregg,

It's simple really, all the 69cc saws got the ungoverned 168 carbs and the 77 and 85cc saws got the governed 176 carbs. Any other way and they have probably been swapped.

when do you know you have CAD

When you plan your Easter weekend trip to Conneticut around stops to pick up chainsaws, bars and NOS parts as well as hauling a trailer behind the minivan for no reason other than to fil it up with chainsaw stuff.

HAPPY EASTER everyone.View attachment 287435

Thanks all and thanks for the pix, Gregg.
Still in the hunt when I came across a brochure for Oregon. 20–Series Chisel LPX. It showed file and grinder angles and it threw a wrinkle since it seems to have an additional setting. The head that holds the chain, besides being set for file angle, they show that head being tilted 10 degrees as if holding file down 10 degrees. Is that a common setting?
The cheap ones I've looked at do not appear to have that setting.

OMG, I gave myself such a headache. Over thinking or too much data or something. Turns out that is not the only chain that is supposed to get that 10 degree down, as if holding file handle 10 degrees down. That is per Oregon, but they have a caveat that says to hold level if using an Oregon file holder. Something is wrong there because they give part numbers for holders, files, depth guage, and even grinder and then show drawing of file held down or setting angle on grinder (510 or 511). Looking in manual for 511 they actually talk of setting that and there is a scale for setting the chain holder off of vertical. But manual does not mention for model 510. Too much money for me to spend as well. I could buy a lot of chain.

If that is not enough of a gotcha, three different angles to set for sharpening, they only offer certain size grinders, no 4.5MM. So do you dress the next larger wheel to the radius of a 4.5MM?
And if that is not confusing enough, I see rave reviews of those el-cheapo grinders that have only one angle setting.

"Now, where is that tylenol? My back is hurting too."

I can't recall the carb numbers off hand without going to look, but that sounds right. I would assume that the 69cc 6900, being a newer version of the 69cc 4200 would be the same. The 4200 uses a non-governed carb. The 85cc 5200 and I would guess the 77cc 4900 might use the same. I know the 5200 has one on it. Just a guess on my part.

Gregg,

LOL, I should just be quiet. I put a carb from a 4200 on my 5200 some time ago. I know Mark & others have showed how to block off the governors on the 5200. I cheated, and put one from a 4200, without the governor on my 5200. I just can't recall the numbers. I will check later to see. Will ck the newer 5200 I have also.

Geezer,

Gregg,

It's simple really, all the 69cc saws got the ungoverned 168 carbs and the 77 and 85cc saws got the governed 176 carbs. Any other way and they have probably been swapped.

Does the HS168 have the same venturi and throttle bore size as the HS176? I'm going to swap the 168 from my parts 4200 onto my 5200........both to avoid messing with yet another HS governor (got at least 10 of those governed HS carbs on various saws) and because a prior owner of the 5200 'whittled down' the fuel nipple on that carb so he could run smaller fuel line (as the thin wall 3/16" Tygon type line isn't available anymore). I want to run the 361 type bulkhead fitting with 1/8" ID line in the tank and 3/16" line from the fitting to the carb.

I bead blast them and send them out to be chromed.......:canny:

BTW thanks for the tip on the 42 CC. I was at 1 3/4 out, and gave up. I will try again tonight.

Semi-gloss, better at standing up I hope. Do you have any extra chromed ones?

You might check Zama or Walbro or whoever made the carb. They used to have some literature explaining limits, etc for carb models. If outside the standard limits, they gave an exclamation and ideas as to what was the fault. You might not be outside that range for your carb/machine. Good luck.

Guys,I need a confirmation about the dimensions of the 4200 crank seals.OD 1.1305" (28.71mm),ID 0.7475"(18.98mm), Width 0.1925" (4.88mm).Are these correct?

If you have the seal out, measure the case bore and the crankshaft surface the seal rides on diameters. Seals are spec'd by these dimensions

I have the seal out.I measure the od~28.50 mm,the ID ~16.50 mm and the widht ~4.50 mm.I want to buy 2 seals from Brian but he told me that the seals he got is the same OD,the same widht but he measure 18.90mm the ID which seems to much to me.I will pull out the seals tomorrow and i will measure the crank for sure.

rebuilding a PP220

Hi guys,
I'm replacing the motor in my 2550t with a complete motor from a pp220. I had a wrist pin come loose on a new piston which took out the piston and the cylinder on the 2550. This rescue is getting expensive. Opps that going to leave a mark!

1. The crankcase cap on the 220 doesn't have the groove in the mating surface that the 2550 had so I'm wondering about the liquid gasket (permartex motoseal) whether it will still work OK. Or should I use the 2550 cap that does have the gasket groove. They have the same part # but are slightly different internally. It may not have the right clearance when everything gets buttoned up.

I've decided to just ask one question at a time. That way I can try to keep my head straight.

many thanks for opinions and help. Love this site, and a couple of others too.

Lee :msp_confused::confused2::msp_confused:

I have the seal out.I measure the od~28.50 mm,the ID ~16.50 mm and the widht ~4.50 mm.I want to buy 2 seals from Brian but he told me that the seals he got is the same OD,the same widht but he measure 18.90mm the ID which seems to much to me.I will pull out the seals tomorrow and i will measure the crank for sure.

I have the seals, bearings and crank in my hand from the 5200 i took apart last night.

seal OD 28.60, ID 16.9 width 4.70 keep in mind these have just been removed from the saw.
crank is 16.98ish

Does the HS168 have the same venturi and throttle bore size as the HS176? I'm going to swap the 168 from my parts 4200 onto my 5200........both to avoid messing with yet another HS governor (got at least 10 of those governed HS carbs on various saws) and because a prior owner of the 5200 'whittled down' the fuel nipple on that carb so he could run smaller fuel line (as the thin wall 3/16" Tygon type line isn't available anymore). I want to run the 361 type bulkhead fitting with 1/8" ID line in the tank and 3/16" line from the fitting to the carb.

Yes, Aaron, They are exactly the same, except for the GOV. or lack there of. ;) Thats what I did to my older green top 5200. Put a 4200 carb on it, cause I was to lazy to mod the governor.LOL
I havn't decided yet what route to take on this newer black top 5200. Probably try the mod and see if I can screw that up. :D

Gregg,

OMG, I gave myself such a headache. Over thinking or too much data or something. Turns out that is not the only chain that is supposed to get that 10 degree down, as if holding file handle 10 degrees down. That is per Oregon, but they have a caveat that says to hold level if using an Oregon file holder. Something is wrong there because they give part numbers for holders, files, depth guage, and even grinder and then show drawing of file held down or setting angle on grinder (510 or 511). Looking in manual for 511 they actually talk of setting that and there is a scale for setting the chain holder off of vertical. But manual does not mention for model 510. Too much money for me to spend as well. I could buy a lot of chain.

If that is not enough of a gotcha, three different angles to set for sharpening, they only offer certain size grinders, no 4.5MM. So do you dress the next larger wheel to the radius of a 4.5MM?
And if that is not confusing enough, I see rave reviews of those el-cheapo grinders that have only one angle setting.

"Now, where is that tylenol? My back is hurting too."

This China made grinder works pretty well. I did buy some Italian made grind wheels from Bailey's. Heard some folks had the Chinese wheels fly apart. So thought I wouldn't chance them. The 3/16" wheel is the one you use for standard 3/8 chain. The 1/8" wheel is what you need for the smaller 3/8 LP chain. This grinder will do the "tilt" if you want to. I have done it both ways, can't tell hoot of difference. LOL

Gregg,

Guys,I need a confirmation about the dimensions of the 4200 crank seals.OD 1.1305" (28.71mm),ID 0.7475"(18.98mm), Width 0.1925" (4.88mm).Are these correct?

National seal 471466

Housing Bore:

1.124 = 1 1/8"

Lip Material:

Nitrile

Outer Diameter:

Shaft Size:

0.625 = 5/8"

Width:

0.25 = 1/4"

As you see these are inch seals and no metrics to fit it.

The OEM seals are still availiable from Poulan if that helps you any.

Last edited:
National seal 471466

Housing Bore:

1.124 = 1 1/8"

Lip Material:

Nitrile

Outer Diameter:

Shaft Size:

0.625 = 5/8"

Width:

0.25 = 1/4"

As you see these are inch seals and no metrics to fit it.

The OEM seals are still availiable from Poulan if that helps you any.

Thanks for the info Mark. Since both the 4200-8500 Poulans and 288XP Huskys use 6203 bearings (on both sides), I'm thinking that the Husqvarna 503 26 02-05 seals could be used in Poulan 4200-8500 saws so long as the seal body widths are the same (as the housing bore and shaft measurements must be the same for the same bearings to work in both saw families).

That would mean that the National 471466 seals could also be used on the Husqvarnas (again so long as the width is compatible). Might be easier for Kostas to get the Husqvarna seals in his part of the world. Although with the internet, that's not as much of an issue anymore...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back