Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for a few suggestions for my 4200.

I finaly got the vaccum leak between the apdator and the carb fixed. I was noodling some rounds today and it was running really well. I shut it down to do some splitting, fueled the saw up and it wouldn't run off idle. I could get it to start and idle but it would just die if I gave it any throttle at all. Even gently feathering the trigger would cause it to die.

Any idea what might be going on here? The carb is an HS 168A. It has a pretty new kit in it and the fuel line has been replaced.

Check compression and if good try a new spark plug.

Yes that is a 475 in the picture. I just got through rebuilding that saw and plan on keeping it. But it never hurts to ask. Thanks.

I also have a 475 love the saw but am needing the gas tank assy since the plastic piece where the top handle attaches on the right hand side of saw is broke. It is an obsolete part supposedly. Would you happen to know where I mite find one new or used?

I also have a 475 love the saw but am needing the gas tank assy since the plastic piece where the top handle attaches on the right hand side of saw is broke. It is an obsolete part supposedly. Would you happen to know where I mite find one new or used?

You could try the swap meet sticky. People are trading or selling parts over there all the time.

Thanks, Ec...

So is the spacer in the link, the one I could use on my 4900....or just an example?

That one in the link would work on your 4900 as long as it has 5/16" bar studs. Poulan changed the studs from 5/16" to 3/8" during the 4400/4900/5400 production run. The IPLs list both sizes of studs (and matching bar plates with the corresponding sized holes. I'm not recommending that particular auction (don't have anything 'against' it either). Just did a quick search for "Homelite S" on ebay and came up with some links. That link looked like a good one for illustration.

Looking for a few suggestions for my 4200.

I finaly got the vaccum leak between the apdator and the carb fixed. I was noodling some rounds today and it was running really well. I shut it down to do some splitting, fueled the saw up and it wouldn't run off idle. I could get it to start and idle but it would just die if I gave it any throttle at all. Even gently feathering the trigger would cause it to die.

Any idea what might be going on here? The carb is an HS 168A. It has a pretty new kit in it and the fuel line has been replaced.

Maybe you have to check your carb Tim.Did you try to give a little on the low-high screws?

I will do that
Other crazy possibilities it won't come off idle. I replaced fuel line on machine and after running for awhile I could not get it off idle. Maybe there was a difference in fuel line from OE. Where it came out of tank the inside diameter had decreased to the point it was fuel starved. I was back into the carb three times before I located that issue.
Another strange one. Poulan blower. It sat for a couple of days between uses and could not get it off idle. I was tearing into it when I noticed the exhaust port of muffler. Dang mud daubers built nest in it.
So your problem could be on in side of engine. Could be on out side of engine. Or somewhere between :).

Last edited:
.325 vs .375

There any expert information on which to run?
The chain on the 2750 is still in pretty good shape, 33SL, but the drive looks a bit worn, enough that I'd not want a new chain on it. A bit of checking, it appears that I can convert to rim sprocket and think I'd rather have that but undecided about chain.

The chain on the 2750 is still in pretty good shape, 33SL, but the drive looks a bit worn, enough that I'd not want a new chain on it. A bit of checking, it appears that I can convert to rim sprocket and think I'd rather have that but undecided about chain.

I think sticking with .325 would be what you would want to do. Its hard to find 3/8 bars under 20" and if you ger some 20 lpx chain it will cut just as well as 3/8 and is much better then the 33 series chain you have now.

Last edited:

I don't know that I'd call myself an expert, but if you want a good deal on a 16 inch, .375 LP bar and chain that will fit your saw, Bailey's has an awesome deal going that will work on your saw (if you put on a 3/8 sprocket): Bailey's - Carlton 16" Hobby Champ Tiger Chainsaw Bar & Chain Combo.

$12.99 for the bar and chain!!! Uses Woodland Pro 30 LP chain.

I've put this combo on a Redmax 400, Redmax 4000, Ryobi 10532 and an Echo 310. Works very well IMHO. Fits lots of small saws.

I think sticking with .325 would be what you would want to do. Its hard to find 3/8 bars under 20" and if you ger some 30 lpx chain it will cut just as well as 3/8 and is much better then the 33 series chain you have now.
OE bar and chain is 20". Did you mean 20LPX?
My big work saw is 3500 (3.7CI 60cc) with 20" 3/8 pitch. When chains/bar are worn out I will consider longer for big trunk. But the saw gets a bit heavy after awhile, not something to limb and brush with.
The 2750 (2.8CI), also 20", is a bit lighter. And currently .325 pitch.
Same chain for both might simplify things a little, but maybe not the best option for the saws or the work they are used for.
I have a Homelite XL 14" for the really small stuff.

Seems a bit weird that OCS (oregon) is currently only listing .325 drives for my 3500, but bars and chains up to 24" are 3/8 pitch.

My big work saw is 3500 (3.7CI 60cc) with 20" 3/8 pitch. When chains/bar are worn out I will consider longer for big trunk. But the saw gets a bit heavy after awhile, not something to limb and brush with.
Same chain for both might simplify things a little, but maybe not the best option for the saws or the work they are used for.

Seems a bit weird that OCS (oregon) is currently only listing .325 drives for my 3500, but bars and chains up to 24" are 3/8 pitch.

I believe this is what 20LPX refers to. Not chain length.
Bailey's - Oregon 18" Chainsaw Chain Loop

Yes I did mean 20LPX, I screw up quite a lot when posting from my phone.

If it was me, I would be looking for a 16" bar for that saw as well. It will like it a bunch more then the 20"

Pictures for Mike regarding our Poulan 655 & Pioneer P65 discussiion

Here is the P65 I was telling you about needing a plastic gas-line fitting for on the carb.

In reviewing the two links below they sure appear to be of the same lineage!?? The Poulan 655 is a re-badge of the Pioneer P65??

Model Profile: P65

Model Profile: 655

IMG_2732_zps3c73ffa4.jpg

IMG_2731_zps8060cbc4.jpg

IMG_2733_zpsa7b71d9d.jpg

edfa86de-6e8c-4fb8-8ac2-e92a07a3965d_zps044d1732.jpg

IMG_2736_zps856b2869.jpg

Here is the P65 I was telling you about needing a plastic gas-line fitting for on the carb.

In reviewing the two links below they sure appear to be of the same lineage!?? The Poulan 655 is a re-badge of the Pioneer P65??

edfa86de-6e8c-4fb8-8ac2-e92a07a3965d_zps044d1732.jpg

I'm not sure if that is a replaceable part or not.

There will be someone along shortly who can tell you.

Mike

Latest posts

Back