Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of 655’s, figured I’d post a couple pics of mine while it’s getting pulled apart and cleaned. Still need to do the fw side seal then reassemble. I don’t think the panels were ever off this thing. There’s barely a mark under them after cleaning. I’d love to find a nos Poulan Pro bar for it if anyone knows of one.

View attachment 647149

View attachment 647150 View attachment 647151

I had a line on a wrap model that looked very nice but the top end is fried.

Things were looking good till the owner turned down my offer & said he had over $450 in it.

Hard to stomach $450 for one with a fried Top End.

Oh Well.

Things were looking good till the owner turned down my offer & said he had over $450 in it.

Oh Well.
You should be able to find a good clean runner for that much I would think. Good luck in the search.

Oh Well.

I was cursing you working on that 650 today. All is well and running great. I'll bring it along with the 5200, a yeller thing and an EZ

So this is still bugging me, since I've never seen one in my mind it sounds very difficult to fix. But if I replace that whole check assembly, in theory, if that is my issue, then that should rectify it?

To pull that tiny circlip that retains the screen requires tenacious dexterity that my mitts don't have. The carb I had saw some decent mileage. As well, it was equipped with the additional accelerator pump. I did all new diaphrams - including accelerator pump. Still the same symptoms. As Tim mentioned with the HS, sporadic rich/lean at WOT as well. Biggest consistent issue was the leaning out at idle or coming down off of WOT. I had previously tested the main check and it "seemed" to hold on vacuum. So, with that being the only thing left, I swapped the whole assembly. The capillary check is just a punched out circle of nitrile-like material - similar to diaphram material. But, it rests on (4?) bosses in the bottom of the pocket leading into the venturi. It had relaxed around those and wasn't laying flat like it should. I just threaded a machine screw into the brass housing and pulled it out. A new check and assembly presses back in and welch plug driven flush. The kit has everything including welch.

As you mentioned, if that were in fact the issue in the end, it is easy and inexpensive maintenance. I know the throttle shafts can wear out of round with lots of use, particularly with the heavy return springs on the Tillys. I've had similar symptoms when the throttle is released and the shaft shifts in the supporting bore, leading to intermittent lean/erratic idle issues. It all depends on the mileage on the carb and individual components.

I was cursing you working on that 650 today. All is well and running great. I'll bring it along with the 5200, a yeller thing and an EZ

Lots of saw time the last few days Tim? I've been watching the weather out your way and it looks like folks are taking a beating. Hopefully that will be the last of it this year.

I have been trying to purchase that saw for a year know but not at that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought that was a pretty good price in as clean as it was.....Im going to unload a bunch more of my older saws.... but never had this style of poulan ....that was a sweet looking saw.....I love the yellow and black ....

Lots of saw time the last few days Tim? I've been watching the weather out your way and it looks like folks are taking a beating. Hopefully that will be the last of it this year.

Yes we did.
All ice pellets here. About 3" of them. Then about 4 hours of freezing rain which was not much and then 1" of heavy rain. Of course all the snow removal equipment wasn't available.
I did a bunch of saw stuff

It still here but slowly disappearing. It quit dropping ice pellets on Monday.

Pic from this morning
DSCF3641.JPG

Happy dance :happybanana:. Finding NLA NOS stuff for saws I happen to build.

60cc piston and 2 big carbs for 54cc 60cc.
Plus going by pic might be the more sought after bigger carb.
1f609.png

2 saws waiting on transplants and one is the little rarer 3.7. Only seen 6 to date (1 here) and a 7th may have just turned up once guy post pics on my site to see. Owned 2 myself.

Now I dont have to use the pistons out of my 2 NOS sets. :cool:

p60ccnosx.jpg pcarbbb.jpg

Latest posts

Back