Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never used one but have thought about getting one for walbro and zama.

Got both. Come in handy with all the different carbs and fulcrum heights.

The carb model is on the side that it is used for Todd. Some are lay across and some down inside. Then you set fulcrum height to it. Easy peasy once you use them.

Do the 3400's have some kind of limited coil? Or some feature in th carb that limits rpm? My 3400 will not rev out when piss reving like you would do to tune by ear. It hits a certain rpm and begins to "surge" for lack.of a better way to describe it. It sounds just like a rev limiter in a car. If I put it in wood it is an animal. But I had to tune it in the wood for best power and I like to hear that four stroke burble to reassure me that my tune is good and this just wint do it.
NO limited coil . the 3400 isn't a high revving saw, maybe 10,500 if I recall.. Have you checked ur carb? Maybe metering lever is too high?

Hey guys have been hanging out with the mac boys untle now but have just got myself my first poulan a orange chain braked 4000. Seems to run well and is nice and tidy and all complete havent cut with it yet maybe tomoro. Any way was wandering if any of you fellas have a dawg template handy I can print out? I'll happily make my own if na just thought id ask.20181005_204612.jpg

I like what I see and would like to see a few more pictures of the saw. I have a extra dog if you want it, just pm an address and it's on the way free.

No worries 20181006_192928.jpg20181006_192911.jpg 20181006_192943.jpg
After a few cuts seems to go well and manuel oils not sure about auto yet
20181006_193558.jpg
Thanks a bunch for the offer but shipping to new zealand will be quite a bit. A nice clear straight on picture of the spike would be nice though I could use that to make 1 up. That is a very kind offer:)

Look at the growth on this oak tree
48ccf93d213ad3d8a992b16abd66a2c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would like to, lived in Hamilton, NZ from 1955 to 1959. Wonderful place to live

It's still a cool place not that I've lived anywhere else. Got two Filipino guys at work and they couldn't believe theres no snakes or bears or crocodiles or nothing to hurt you I had to roll around in the grass to convince them. It must be a pain scavenging firewood in the bush or hunting or being outside in general and having to contend with snakes.

Jethro , stoked that you got that Poulan. I was tempted by it , I had a green version of it for a while back.

Couple of tips on stopping the S25DAs from running the chain along at low idle.

Fresh gaskets & seals on this one, perfect P&V tests, CDI coil type, & I could adjust the idle down to less than 2000 RPM...hmmm. Even ran it for a bit in the woods to test carb settings out, but it’s a dangerous thing to use in the brush.

First, figured out that newer Oregon 28006 drums are all formed undersized at 2.65” ID, compared to the older Windsor & Herr drums at 2.700” ID. The larger 0.035” clearance difference doesn’t sound like much. Swapped those out & it helped, but would still creep along.

Second, took the clutches apart & saw that the two 530023381 flat clutch springs were worn to a shiny taper on the tip ends, plus pitted & worn in the center on the opposite sides of the springs.

New replacement springs eliminated the idling chain running issue & even allowed for a higher idle, thanks Stephen!

D4C4BEC3-5BFB-4D9B-BB36-7FC9945545E4.jpeg

Couple of tips on stopping the S25DAs from running the chain along at low idle.

Fresh gaskets & seals on this one, perfect P&V tests, CDI coil type, & I could adjust the idle down to less than 2000 RPM...hmmm. Even ran it for a bit in the woods to test carb settings out, but it’s a dangerous thing to use in the brush.

First, figured out that newer Oregon 28006 drums are all formed undersized at 2.65” ID, compared to the older Windsor & Herr drums at 2.700” ID. The larger 0.035” clearance difference doesn’t sound like much. Swapped those out & it helped, but would still creep along.

Second, took the clutches apart & saw that the two 530023381 flat clutch springs were worn to a shiny taper on the tip ends, plus pitted & worn in the center on the opposite sides of the springs.

New replacement springs eliminated the idling chain running issue & even allowed for a higher idle, thanks Stephen!

View attachment 678583
I flipped my springs over, weren't worn as bad as yours.

Steve

Latest posts

Back