Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's got great spark,just low compression.A new cylinder would cost $93 + shipping.Saw is hardly worth putting that kinda $ into.
I know this is hard to believe but I had one that had a broken center electrode. It would literally slide in and out as you turned the spark plug end to end. I looked at it multiple times upside down and of course it looked fine. Laying on top of the cylinder sideways for spark test it was fine. In the saw facing the other direction, the electrode would slide down and lay on the tab.
Changed the plug on a hunch and the issue was gone.
Kept the other out of curiosity, and discovered the " self adjusting electrode" when I was looking it over later that day.
Was a new one on me!

I bought an aftermarket coil for it,but the holes in the laminations weren't big enough for the mounting screws.I drilled them out,but the plug wire is too long & the top cover won't fit properly because of it.I could try that coil again (I know it's not the correct term),but I doubt the saw will fire due to low compression.I've got a new intake gasket coming too.I just get tired of beating a dead horse.I agree Ira,something's definitely screwy here,just trying to pin point it is a PITA.BTW,what is "BGD"?
Base gasket delete

I know this is hard to believe but I had one that had a broken center electrode. It would literally slide in and out as you turned the spark plug end to end. I looked at it multiple times upside down and of course it looked fine. Laying on top of the cylinder sideways for spark test it was fine. In the saw facing the other direction, the electrode would slide down and lay on the tab.
Changed the plug on a hunch and the issue was gone.
Kept the other out of curiosity, and discovered the " self adjusting electrode" when I was looking it over later that day.
Was a new one on me!
Bob,I've tried at least 4 different plugs on this saw.I also put those plugs in my other 3400 & the saw ran fine with all of them.It's not a plug issue.

Bob,I've tried at least 4 different plugs on this saw.I also put those plugs in my other 3400 & the saw ran fine with all of them.It's not a plug issue.
I figured you had tried , just had to share that story in hopes of saving someone else the same headache some day.
I'm way behind in reading at the moment so many apologies if I missed something earlier.
Crazy busy right now.
I keep telling myself one day I need to make a check list of things I've discovered that had kept a saw from running and then review said list when I get the next stubborn one. The ol memory ain't what she use to be!

Knock,knock,anyone home? I've got a 3400 that giving me fits.I bought the saw a few weeks ago & it fired on a prime,then did nothing after I'd filled the fuel tank.I put a new filter in,took the carb off & found that someone had put the pump diaphragm in the wrong way.Still wouldn't fire up,so I did a compression test on it & it came in at 110 psi (I've got another 3400 that's got 115 psi & it runs great).I pulled the cylinder & put new rings in.The P&C were in pristine condition with no scratches or scoring.I always thought that after putting new rings in that the compression was supposed to come up,not go down??No air leaks that I can detect.
Have you tried spraying some mix in the carb to see if it starts? I'm betting the carb needs a rebuild, 3400's are basically bullet proof. When u replaced the rings did the intake adaptor feel tight? A small air leak from the seals won't affect the saw running but will affect tuning. A loose intake adaptor is a major air leak.

The carb is fine,when I pull the plug it's wet,so it's getting fuel.I tried spraying fuel in the carb & it does no good.I believe the issue is with the spark.

Is there such a thing as putting the rings in upside down?

Show us the piston you had and the rings you took out and the rings you put in? Pic of this afm coil too?

If you bought aftermarket rings for 3400 that wasnt the right ones like the aftermarket sells. That could be your issue plus the aftermarket coil timing maybe.

You got so many if's going on for a saw you can pick up for 50 bucks running on the market most times.

Far as I can recall most used square end rings.

p3400r.jpgp3400.jpg

I used OEM rings that I bought from Buford Parrish in Ky.I can't show you rings or piston (stock) because it's in the sawe.I don't have the afterrmarket coil on the saw right now,the original coil is on.That should eliminate 95% of the "ifs".As for buying a saw for $50,show me on what planet that happens!

I used OEM rings that I bought from Buford Parrish in Ky.I can't show you rings or piston (stock) because it's in the sawe.I don't have the afterrmarket coil on the saw right now,the original coil is on.That should eliminate 95% of the "ifs".As for buying a saw for $50,show me on what planet that happens!
They do litter the Southern US Ed, I bought 3 of mine for 25$ and my Craftsman 3400 for 20$ from the scrap yard. That being said they all needed a good cleaning and some fuel related products.
I know for me its a regional thing, Poulan was big here.

They do litter the Southern US Ed, I bought 3 of mine for 25$ and my Craftsman 3400 for 20$ from the scrap yard. That being said they all needed a good cleaning and some fuel related products.
I know for me its a regional thing, Poulan was big here.
Just for the heck of it I looked on FB Market Place & found only one 3400 in Mass.for $125.Lots of other Poulan saws that were a dime a dozen.EBay is ridiculous on prices of most any saw nowadays.I did pick up both of my 3400s there.The 1st one I got about 1 1/2 yrs.ago for $80,but it had a non-oiling issue.I finally got that straightened out last month.The other 3400 that I'm stumped on now I got a couple weeks ago on feebay for $60.

I h
Just for the heck of it I looked on FB Market Place & found only one 3400 in Mass.for $125.Lots of other Poulan saws that were a dime a dozen.EBay is ridiculous on prices of most any saw nowadays.I did pick up both of my 3400s there.The 1st one I got about 1 1/2 yrs.ago for $80,but it had a non-oiling issue.I finally got that straightened out last month.The other 3400 that I'm stumped on now I got a couple weeks ago on feebay for $60.
I hear you on EBay Ed, I only basically buy new stuff on there when available now.
I used to be pretty involved in old cars and hot rods, ( mostly Ford and Mopar) ebay seemed like a gold mine! But it turned into fools gold for parts .
I enjoy a good mechanical challenge as much as the next guy but ebay is the place alot of the irredeemable things end up .
We were lucky to have guys like Bob J and Buford who charge what the parts are actually worth and not some insane ****.

Saw in my pic in that post I sold to local for 50. ;) Just needed a carb kit but ran.

I pass them up for that even here local.

None of these 3 move here local and all been gone through. 3400 - 3.0 sold as. 3700 3.7 and a 4000. They will set till a local needs a saw some year for 100-150

p3400zz.jpgp34002000.jpg
p4000han.jpg

I was curious and quick search local MP. @edju1958

Poulan 3450 with chain brake in green for 100. IMO the working green chain brake worth half that.

Poulan 3400 for 65

Poulan 3400 for 50

Poulan 4200 for 200

Poulan 4000 for 100

There is so many more just like that. Took me about 1 min on my usual search I do here.

p3450cbx.jpgp340065.jpgp3400mi.jpgp4200x.jpgp4000100.jpg

Dang all 4 of these 125

Not just poulan like that around here. All brands are. Why I wont rebuild stihl 026 260 or husky 55 around here for 200 they bring max. Guys in my CR group tell me need to send those to west coast where the stihl bring double. Learned my lesson what sells here local.

p3400x4.jpg
s026x2.jpg

In general,saws have tripled & quadrupled in price over the last 5-6 yrs.I used to buy used saws on feebay for $25-$40 all day long,now I can barely touch a saw for $75-$100.I'm not partial to any one brand.My first saw was a Remington SL9 that my dad bought for me back in 1974 when I was 15.I have other branded saws - Remingtons,Stihls,Huskys,Macs,Homelites,Jonsereds,Olympiks,Pioneers,& of course Poulans,& the list goes on.Every saw has a story to tell & they all have their good points & things that are prone to failure.They're all basically the same once ya tear into 'em & they all serve the same purpose - to cut wood..

In general,saws have tripled & quadrupled in price over the last 5-6 yrs.I used to buy used saws on feebay for $25-$40 all day long,now I can barely touch a saw for $75-$100.I'm not partial to any one brand.My first saw was a Remington SL9 that my dad bought for me back in 1974 when I was 15.I have other branded saws - Remingtons,Stihls,Huskys,Macs,Homelites,Jonsereds,Olympiks,Pioneers,& of course Poulans,& the list goes on.Every saw has a story to tell & they all have their good points & things that are prone to failure.They're all basically the same once ya tear into 'em & they all serve the same purpose - to cut wood..

You should relieve him of that 4000 Ed:)

I was curious and quick search local MP. @edju1958

Poulan 3450 with chain brake in green for 100. IMO the working green chain brake worth half that.

Poulan 3400 for 65

Poulan 3400 for 50

Poulan 4200 for 200

Poulan 4000 for 100

There is so many more just like that. Took me about 1 min on my usual search I do here.

View attachment 1102847View attachment 1102848View attachment 1102849View attachment 1102850View attachment 1102851
That 4200 is just up the road a piece from me if someone wants me to grab it for them. Same guy I got a pm700 from.

Back