Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strato. If it runs good, get rid of the tool-less adjustment cover with a replacement to fit the older 4218. Make sure all screws are tight on the body.

I put the bar & chain on the 5020 today & filled it up with oil.I then fired it up & it doesn't seem to be oiling.Are the oilers on the 5020 adjustable?If not is there a common problem with those oilers & how do I access it?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 0
I just won a 4218AVX for $25 that is supposed to have 155 psi.I know nothing more about it.
I think I had one that started to score with that psi.

I wouldnt have even paid that much IMO. Hate these strato turds.

Info I have saved in my thread on them on my website.

Poulan 4218 that is like new pulled 165psi.

The one with scuffed piston pulled 150psi that is a non runner.

Poulan 4218 carb settings were L 2 and H 1.75
Green strato was L 1.75 and H 1.6ish on new carb.

Attachments

• p4218pp.jpg
    p4218pp.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
As for the non-oiling issue with my newly acquired 5020AV,I re-read the seller's description & found that the saw has been sitting for the last couple yrs.It might be possible to flush the tank withj some kerosene to loosen up old oil & sludge.If that doesn't work I may have to start ripping things apart.If it comes to ripping it apart,I'll need guidance as I've never gotten into a newer "Poulan" saw.

I pulled the muffler off the 4620 for 2 reasons.1) was to see what the P&C looked like & they're both in great shape.2) was to get the muffler shield off.The shield is pretty much toast.I may ber able to either braze it or gas weld it.It'd be much easier though if someone here had a good shield they'd be willing to sell at a nominal fee.I can't find the part # for it on the IPL.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
As for the non-oiling issue with my newly acquired 5020AV,I re-read the seller's description & found that the saw has been sitting for the last couple yrs.It might be possible to flush the tank withj some kerosene to loosen up old oil & sludge.If that doesn't work I may have to start ripping things apart.If it comes to ripping it apart,I'll need guidance as I've never gotten into a newer "Poulan" saw.
I had to do that with a brand new looking 295. Had the bubbling oiler issue. Quick look and put some 10 year older parts in it and oiled great then.

I never had to do a 5020 oiler yet on the old yellow like I had or the newer black. Most come in for carbs.

If flush dont work. Post pics of the oiler etc area so we can see.

Here is a 295 I was just in.

Attachments

• p5020r.jpg
    p5020r.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
  • p295oiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg
    p295oiiiiiiiiiiiii.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
I got a 4218 delivered today.It took a little coaxing to get it to run,must've been sitting for quite a while.The very first saw I've gotten with a Torch spark plug in it.I've already turned both needles out over 1/2 turn & it still has a problem with throttling up.I'll change out the fuel filter & see if that helps.How many turns out on the needles do these carbs require?

I got a 4218 delivered today.It took a little coaxing to get it to run,must've been sitting for quite a while.The very first saw I've gotten with a Torch spark plug in it.I've already turned both needles out over 1/2 turn & it still has a problem with throttling up.I'll change out the fuel filter & see if that helps.How many turns out on the needles do these carbs require?

Ed , if you'll go back to Kevin's post# 60,105 I believe he gave the initial setting for your 4218 .

I ended up turning both needles out to 2 1/2 turns & the saw runs great now with no more hesitation when throttling up.I know this may be a bit much,but I've found that no 2 carbs are exactly alike.

The 5020 I got yesterday runs great too.I got a bar & chain for it today & while putting them on noticed that someone gutted the chain brake assembly.The brake band that's supposed to be in the cover is gone & the brake handle doesn't "pop".Is that due to the band missing?I think there are other components missing from the handle section.I know nothing about these chain brakes.

I ended up turning both needles out to 2 1/2 turns & the saw runs great now with no more hesitation when throttling up.I know this may be a bit much,but I've found that no 2 carbs are exactly alike.

The 5020 I got yesterday runs great too.I got a bar & chain for it today & while putting them on noticed that someone gutted the chain brake assembly.The brake band that's supposed to be in the cover is gone & the brake handle doesn't "pop".Is that due to the band missing?I think there are other components missing from the handle section.I know nothing about these chain brakes.
I had someone do that to a nice 330 I sold them. When it came back years later for av. I noticed brake didnt work, They gutted the band etc out of the cover. I ask what happened.
He said he cant stand them. So removed it. I was like dang could have told me and I could have put a cover on with out the band. :rolleyes:

I rebuilt and sold all I had and sold them now. Even a couple of NOS ones.

Attachments

• p330cover.jpg
    p330cover.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
  • pnos330ccc.jpg
    pnos330ccc.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
  • pnos330cc.jpg
    pnos330cc.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
I looked at the 5020 IPL & had Buford Parrish look at his IPL too.Neither one of us could find any chain brake replacement parts or part#s.Do I have to get a whole new chain brake assembly?The brake band looks very similar to the band used in a Husky 136 & 36.

I looked at the 5020 IPL & had Buford Parrish look at his IPL too.Neither one of us could find any chain brake replacement parts or part#s.Do I have to get a whole new chain brake assembly?The brake band looks very similar to the band used in a Husky 136 & 36.
Got to try others if not sold.

The husky 55 fits the 330 etc ones.

The one hair short for 330 but sold for them as 55 fits the shorter 260 ones. Never figured out what the bands were really for.

Time to try some yourself.

Being I owned the cousin saw to it at same time. I would be looking at the husky 450 brake band. Never know might get lucky.

p260cb.jpg

Got to try others if not sold.

The husky 55 fits the 330 etc ones.

The one hair short for 330 but sold for them as 55 fits the shorter 260 ones. Never figured out what the bands were really for.

Time to try some yourself.

Being I owned the cousin saw to it at same time. I would be looking at the husky 450 brake band. Never know might get lucky.

View attachment 1142735
Do you remember where you got that set of 2" drivers? Nice looking set.

Back