No more 440's??...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the 441 less powerful than the 372 and 440? How is it less smooth than the 372?

My judgement was that they are equal stock (the 440 is a bit weaker than the other two) but the 372 has a much higher modding potential than the 441. By a simple muffler mod it will outcut the 441 easily.

Holy s**t, your giving the 460 one's in 3 out of 4 categories. Must be a real POS, might as well toss mine. Boy do I feel stupid for buying one of those :sucks:

Well, can you argue with me that the 460 isn't thristy, weighs more than the others and vibrates more than the others so be my guest ;)

You bought an old relic that sells good because of the traditions and mentality in the US. The ultimate proof to that is the MS290. But we've had this discussion. The MS441 is a step in the right direction for Stihl IMO.

Congrats on your most retarded post of 2008.:clap: You and woodie have claimed the 2171/372 is the best 70cc out. Well guess what 2K bought, yep a 2171. I have a fresh cut 26" oak log waiting for the 440 and 2171. I have a new bar on order and the 2171 will be ready to cut. I will make this a fair duel by using the same chain and both mufflers ported. So far my thoughts on the 2171.....cheap. Although I'm not going to call it a complete pos, now or after because I know it is a decent saw. I'm even going to give woodie the first shot at buying the jewel.:D

So look for the upcoming thread........I have a bad feeling we will hear more crying from the woodie worse than on Scott's Dolmar thread.:ices_rofl:

Then we would like to see a pressure gauge reading from the 2171 to see if it is in somewhat near decent condition and then an operator who knows how to handle a modern chainsaw. Make sure you cut with the 440 first or the filter will clog with chips from the 2171 (There is a vid on youtube what that may look like).

My judgement was that they are equal stock (the 440 is a bit weaker than the other two) but the 372 has a much higher modding potential than the 441. By a simple muffler mod it will outcut the 441 easily.

Not around here it won't. Especially if you muffler mod the 441 also.

Last edited:
Then we would like to see a pressure gauge reading from the 2171 to see if it is in somewhat near decent condition and then an operator who knows how to handle a modern chainsaw. Make sure you cut with the 440 first or the filter will clog with chips from the 2171 (There is a vid on youtube what that may look like).

This will be my first low torque saw so I may have to adjust my style of cutting. I have to run some Stihl Ultra through her to get it nice and clean inside, then will do a comp test. Funny you speak of the chips, the filter and filter area was the filled with dust. The previous owner must have been told it doesn't need cleaning, LOL.:buttkick:

Well, can you argue with me that the 460 isn't thristy, weighs more than the others and vibrates more than the others so be my guest

So it might use a little more gas ........ big deal, have you gone out and bought your new Toyota Prius yet, if your that concerned with chainsaw gas mileage, I assume you have. The weight is the same as the 441 by the way, with the 441 have a whole 1/2 less hp - that's a step in the WRONG direction IMO. Also, I don't get this whole "vibe" issue, I can run my 460 all day with no problems, I actually like the feel of my 460 better than the spongy feel of my 361. Bottom line is, to rate the 460 with one's on that stupid scale & to call the 460 an old relic, is just plain ridiculous. If you like the 372 better, then fine, but to trash the 460 like it's some old POS, just makes you lose all credibility, it's probably one of the top 5 saws out there.

So it might use a little more gas ........ big deal, have you gone out and bought your new Toyota Prius yet, if your that concerned with chainsaw gas mileage, I assume you have. The weight is the same as the 441 by the way, with the 441 have a whole 1/2 less hp - that's a step in the WRONG direction IMO. Also, I don't get this whole "vibe" issue, I can run my 460 all day with no problems, I actually like the feel of my 460 better than the spongy feel of my 361. Bottom line is, to rate the 460 with one's on that stupid scale & to call the 460 an old relic, is just plain ridiculous. If you like the 372 better, then fine, but to trash the 460 like it's some old POS, just makes you lose all credibility, it's probably one of the top 5 saws out there.

The vibe issue is to address the new european standards. You will see it on a lot more saws soon.

The Stihl MS460 flat out ROCKS! Get the DP muff cover, and it cuts big wood without tiring. It is a light saw for the power it has. B. Snelling has a ported one, which e says cuts like a 660. Cant beat that with a husqy.

The Stihl MS460 flat out ROCKS! Get the DP muff cover, and it cuts big wood without tiring. It is a light saw for the power it has. B. Snelling has a ported one, which e says cuts like a 660. Cant beat that with a husqy.

+1, I gots one too:D Hangs right with a 660 but comparing a stocker to a ported saw isn't quite apples to apples.

Back