No more 440's??...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:popcorn: :popcorn: I don't think Stalin would have allowed Andreas Stihl quite the same freedom to produce quality chainsaws.........

East Germany was not known for producing high quality manufactured goods.

Ever seen a "Trabi?" ( or smelled it, more like)

:clap:
So with the help of of some recent 361 vs. 440 debate threads,I decided to go with the 440.

However, the 441 @ 14.5 lbs. is on the Sthil web site but no 440. So they have already discontinued it except for remaining dealer inventory?

Now the question every one is tired of...I'm considering the 372 (70 cc) or go maybe just going back to "a sure thing" ..the 361 @(59 cc).
Although I'm finding it hard to get my hands around the notion that a 59 cc and a 70 cc saw can be compared?? (Not trying to hash up the debate just talking numbers). My only reference is my 290 @ 56.5cc..which if it wasn't in pieces waiting for a new p/C would still be the one saw....am I catching that CAD thing?

Anyway, what about the the 390? Is it a pain to work on as it's not a pro saw? I'm not logging but end up bucking/felling some pretty fat old oaks on my property(much of 15 -20+ inches diameter) & most of the free wood I get from friends is mature, pretty beefy hard wood ( i love free wood!).

I'm sending out this thread and then have to sign off ..so I'll check on REPS Sunday.

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

And the winner is ....MS 441!

Went down to the dealer and checked out a new 441 . If all goes according to plan, I'll be picking it up in 3 weeks and go with a 20" bar. All the opinions posted here and in other threads led me to the 441. Not to mention that my wife told me to get the one that is going to the best job not the one that's cheaper ( you gotta love her!)

With the new saw and my 290 soon to be rebuilt ( I missed that last 290 engine long block FISH!) I should be good to go.

Congrats on the new saw - the 441 sometimes gets criticized around here, but I know a lot of people who love it. I'm sure it's a great saw, but I think a lot of us expected more out of the saw that replaced the "legend" 440, but it ended up being a saw that weighs the same as a 460, but with less power. I think people were dissapointed at that, so they tend to bask it a little. I'm sure you will be happy with it though - post some pics if you get a chance !!

You'll like the 441...

It really is a great saw. Smooth, Torquey, and really sips the fuel. It has a noticably different power curve than the 440(more torque).

With a 20" bar that thing is going to scream. I'd be comfortable running mine up to a 28" bar without any trouble. At that point the 460 and its power starts to make a difference.

That being said I enjoy running all my saws even the gas guzzling, high vibration ones. If I'm swinging a saw in the forest all day long, I prefer the 361/440 due to the weight issue. Felling/bucking I prefer the 441/460 or a 7900.

Latest posts

Back