Not cool Dolmar not cool at all.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well some of may remember how much trouble I've had with my 5100 from day one.

Well today I called my dealer, and asked them about my saw. It's been there over a month now. They said the saw is fixed and I can come in and pick it up. I asked them what caused the problem's? They said, well we don't really know so we just put a new piston and cylinder on her and it seems to run ok. Then he said it was out of warranty so parts and labor come to $268,52:jawdrop: I told them to keep it.

Well I'm mad now so I'm going to come out and say it. The 5100's design flaw is the clutch side bearing. it spins inside the case when the saw heats up, causing the saw to lean out in the cut, and burn up the top end.

Needless to say I'm going to call Dolmar and let them know what I think. At this point I'm seriously considering selling all of my Dolmar saws.

:cheers: Andy

Last edited:
So was your top end fried? Reguardless, they would have to get approval to fix it first. If yours spun the bearing, your case would be toast too.

That's what I was thinking. :confused:

BTW, I'll take the 7900 if it's looking for a new home! :D

So was your top end fried? Reguardless, they would have to get approval to fix it first. If yours spun the bearing, your case would be toast too.

The top end was fine, they're simple incompetent. I'm having them put the old parts back on the saw right now, and no I did not give them an approval to fix it, they never called me.

I dont spend a dollar of someones money until i talk to them.This is a chicken
**** way to do business .I would bet the guy that said that to you would have
a big problem if when he called about his car and i said oh i just fixed it it wasnt
under warranty and its 900.00. His head would come unglued .The service
writer didnt do his job .I dont blame you for getting p/o .

If you didn't pre-approve or say "just fix it", I'd tell them to take the parts off and give back your saw, re-assembled! Oh, they'll balk.. but... it is your saw.

To avoid any shock... our basic policy is anything much over $100 that isn't specifically pre-approved results in a call to the customer to discuss the matter.

I had a customer tell me he didn't approve a major repair (not true, but..), so that's what I did. Why? I was pretty sure I was being messed with and all he wanted was a big discount. Sorry... and "please" take your business to our competitor. Bi-polar meth-heads - don't need them.

Edit: LOLOL I see your taking my suggestion even before I typed it ;)

Last edited:
You know some customers i try and run off and they keep coming back.
some people just refuse to let you make a profit .another thread sorry you
just hit a nerve.

I just got a call from the dealer, they mixed my saw up with a different 5100:monkey: they have in the shop, my 5100 hasn't even been looked at. If I don't hear from them by Friday I'll just go pick the darn thing up and send it to somewone who can fix it.

I just got a call from the dealer, they mixed my saw up with a different 5100 they have in the shop, my 5100 hasn't even been looked at. If I don't hear from them by Friday I'll just go pick the darn thing up and send it to somewone who can fix it.

Just go get the thing now. I wouldn't let that dealer touch my saw if they don't even know what saw they're working on after a month. Box it up and send it up to one of our dealers here.

So are there other known cases of spun crank bearings?

I just got a call from the dealer, they mixed my saw up with a different 5100:monkey: they have in the shop, my 5100 hasn't even been looked at. If I don't hear from them by Friday I'll just go pick the darn thing up and send it to somewone who can fix it.

How long has your saw been at the place?

Wow glad I did not buy the 5100 that I was sure I needed to own last year. I had a feeling small fire breathing saw was too good to be true. My uncle did buy a new 5100 off flea bay last year and had no problems until he started using it hard to feed his outside wood boiler heating shed. Just 2 weeks ago it quit and he was advised that the seals and bearings were bad. He always used Stihl orange bottle 2 stroke oil and premium gas.

they mixed up your saw with another 5100, is your's fixed? i was thinking about buying a 5100 but now am leaning to another brand, my 7900 runs like a top. i like dolmar but this is the second or third negative 5100 thread i've seen. how does the 026 stack up to the 5100? as they are both in the 50cc range.

Latest posts

Back