Not cool Dolmar not cool at all.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a bearing to spin in case, two things have to happen.

1) The inner race seizes to the outer via the balls - lube...
2) The outer race is loose in the case, either because the case is really really hot (the magnesium has expanded away from the bearing)... or... the mag case holding the bearing is beat out due to excessive forces on the crank.

I don't know what Dolmar does... but... Stihl's solution...

Stihl has in a steel insert cast into the mag case on the clutch side bearing - all pro saws 361 and above. The older 034 did not have the insert (and few saws before that had them), and it was not uncommon to see the case beat out. O45's and early 056 were just mag cases (no insert) - many bearings spun... The 026 does not have an insert, and experences few problems in this regard.

I've never seen a spun bearing on a case with a steel insert - the bearing and the insert expand at the same rate maintaining lock irrespective of temperature. If the bearing locks, the race will gall and get noisy/fail.

I'll have to disagree to a point. With the "big two" and a couple of heel-biters (Stihl, Husky, Johnny Red, Shinny...) with established dealer networks, markets, and product lines, it doesn't take that much to sway me from what amounts to nothing more than a possible contender. The lack of dealerships, less than stellar corporate committment, and ho-hum market presence of Dolmar make me shy from them alerady, all it takes is a wee itty bit of anecdotal evidence of unreliability to push it over the edge. And since we've seen a couple of anecdotes already, I'm pretty much sold on the premise that Dolmar is not ready for prime time (or my dollars). Yes, that's just me, and it's brash, but, hey...

+1. They just don't have what it takes.

...on a case with a steel insert - the bearing and the insert expand at the same rate maintaining lock irrespective of temperature. If the bearing locks, the race will gall and get noisy/fail.

Nice. Very smart engineering.

All Stihl Pro saws (except the 200t) also have a custom clutch side bearing that has the seal inserted into it. Means we can't buy cheap replacement bearings, but you don't have to worry about the mag case expanding away from the seal.

I'm not slamming Dolmar or whomever, - just explaining how one manf deals with this issue.

Oh... the early 088 did not have the steel bearing insert (huh, why wold they go backwards????)... bad news.. cases beat out and bearings spun. They changed BACK to the insert... PDQ...

Talk about "tight" fit - the 088/880 bearing is real PITA to put in.

Last edited:
I sawed some logs for a guy who had a new Jonesred 50CC saw, can't remember the number, his crank side bearings and seal went out, he took it to the dealer. The dealer had 4 sister saws by serial number that had the bearings go out also. To me that sounds like a bad batch of bearings, not a design flaw and that happens to every manufacture once in a while and not just on saws. Steve

All Stihl Pro saws (except the 200t) also have a custom clutch side bearing that has the seal inserted into it. Means we can't buy cheap replacement bearings, but you don't have to worry about the mag case expanding away from the seal.

I'm not slamming Dolmar or whomever, - just explaining how one manf deals with this issue.

Oh... the early 088 did not have the steel bearing insert (huh, why wold they go backwards????)... bad news.. cases beat out and bearings spun. They changed BACK to the insert... PDQ...

Talk about "tight" fit - the 088/880 bearing is real PITA to put in.
the 5100 Dolmar has the same bearing/seal integration on the clutch side. the bearings are also set in 601 loctite. will be interesting to find out the cause of his problem.

Last edited:
Loctite from the facory? that sound like they have tried to fix it. Maybe they are having loctite failure due to temerature, or it's cracking because of the diferent expansion rates of case and bearings.

I doubt we'll ever know why. It will just get fixed.

I sawed some logs for a guy who had a new Jonesred 50CC saw, can't remember the number, his crank side bearings and seal went out, he took it to the dealer. The dealer had 4 sister saws by serial number that had the bearings go out also. To me that sounds like a bad batch of bearings, not a design flaw and that happens to every manufacture once in a while and not just on saws. Steve

It would be very rare to have a bad batch of bearings. Bearing techology is very mature... expecially on the simple deep groove radials used in most saws.

What more likely is that the bearing pocket was machined a couple of 10ths too big, or, the insertion process caused a problem.

Good luck getting it fixed. I had similiar instance w/ a Jred 2159...took over a year of back and forth w/ two dealers...as it turns out. Regional rep had it shipped to him and he replaced carb/linkage/tank-handle. 2nd Dealer I took it too (dealer I bought saw from was TERRIBLE), wanted to replace the same parts but Jred wouldn't get him the parts. Going up the food chain finally got the saw fixed. Once it was running as it should I hated the saw...due to the agony it had caused and traded the bugger for a couple Partners.
Only took one bad apple and don't think I'll ever own another Jred. Yes, I know husky same saws and I do love them.

I just got a call from the dealer, they mixed my saw up with a different 5100:monkey: they have in the shop, my 5100 hasn't even been looked at. If I don't hear from them by Friday I'll just go pick the darn thing up and send it to somewone who can fix it.

Would that be Scott & Steve? :popcorn: :givebeer:

The one time that I have seen a clutch side bearing go bad was on a Jred!
The bearing and seal was replaced and then the owner was given a lesson in how not to take the rakers down to almost nothing!!:censored: Not the saws fault in this case.

I guess it happens with all brands, now and then - bad dealers as well - and really good ones.......:givebeer:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back