Not cool Dolmar not cool at all.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on guys. Don't base your saw buying decisions over on saws problems. I'm not discounting the problems Andy's having with this saw at all. It hasn't run right since it was brand new. I've run it. But to come on here and say "it's too good to be true" and other off the wall remarks is rediculous. Just like I say the issues I've had with my 180 is no reason for others not to buy them. Rant off:)

Come on guys. Don't base your saw buying decisions over on saws problems. I'm not discounting the problems Andy's having with this saw at all. It hasn't run right since it was brand new. I've run it. But to come on here and say "it's too good to be true" and other off the wall remarks is rediculous. Just like I say the issues I've had with my 180 is no reason for others not to buy them. Rant off:)

Just my two cents, I don't have the experience most of you do with saws, but I agree that you shouldn't base your opinion of a product line on experience with just one product or just one dealer. Also, I work as a repairman in a small family-owned business and the advise that my dad gave me years ago was "Fix it as if it was your own". Maybe the shop that has your saw needs to remember that if they can't do a decent job there are lots of other folks who will.

I have a few 5100's and no problems.......I do have an 036 that spun a clutch side bearing in the case....Only seen one do that ....So is it a bad saw...NO....

Well some of may remember how much trouble I've had with my 5100 from day one.

Well today I called my dealer, and asked them about my saw. It's been there over a month now. They said the saw is fixed and I can come in and pick it up. I asked them what caused the problem's? They said, well we don't really know so we just put a new piston and cylinder on her and it seems to run ok. Then he said it was out of warranty so parts and labor come to $268,52:jawdrop: I told them to keep it.

Well I'm mad now so I'm going to come out and say it. The 5100's design flaw is the clutch side bearing. it spins inside the case when the saw heats up, causing the saw to lean out in the cut, and burn up the top end.

Needless to say I'm going to call Dolmar and let them know what I think. At this point I'm seriously considering selling all of my Dolmar saws.

:cheers: Andy

I just got a call from the dealer, they mixed my saw up with a different 5100:monkey: they have in the shop, my 5100 hasn't even been looked at. If I don't hear from them by Friday I'll just go pick the darn thing up and send it to somewone who can fix it.

Every Manufacturer has Bad Dealers. It doesen't matter if it's $400 chainsaws, $10,000 Lawn Mowers or $40,000 Trucks. We've had people shop around on $9,000 Zero Turn Mowers and buy one up the road that's $150 cheaper. Then when it has an issue the cheaper dealer does not have the parts in stock & Service techs that don't know what they are doing. We've seen many of these customers & machines come in our store after a year or two after being screwed by another dealer and begging us to work on them along with the Manufactuer's begging us to fix these machines.

What I'm trying to say is buy equipment from a dealer that has a good reputation. That means a whole lot more than a chainsaw having .2kW more power or being .2 lbs less. If you get a bad saw find another dealer or call the manufacturer or distributer they will get it taken care of. So if your stihl dealer has a good parts/service department buy a stihl. If you're stihl dealer sucks buy a husqvarna, dolmar, jonsered, etc that has the best support after the sale.

Steve

Last edited:

I'll have to disagree to a point. With the "big two" and a couple of heel-biters (Stihl, Husky, Johnny Red, Shinny...) with established dealer networks, markets, and product lines, it doesn't take that much to sway me from what amounts to nothing more than a possible contender. The lack of dealerships, less than stellar corporate committment, and ho-hum market presence of Dolmar make me shy from them alerady, all it takes is a wee itty bit of anecdotal evidence of unreliability to push it over the edge. And since we've seen a couple of anecdotes already, I'm pretty much sold on the premise that Dolmar is not ready for prime time (or my dollars). Yes, that's just me, and it's brash, but, hey...

Nothing like a bunch of over reacting huh gentlemen? :rolleyes:

A few Dolmar 5100s have a problem and now they're all junk. It's the only saw to every blow up and Dolmar is the only company with $hitty dealers :dizzy:

I've ran the ballz off mine for 3 years now and other than getting the intake ring installed, under warranty and the dealer having it a hair out of tune (too rich) it has been a great saw and in no way is mine going anywhere. :givebeer:

Andy got a bum saw and evidentally nothing but bum service for nearly two years now. Simple as that. It's time a good dealer got ahold of this saw and made it right. I think you know where to go Andy. We've got a couple good dealers right here.

Andy

If a husky ever gives you fits. I wants first dibbs on that 372. LOL
Sorry to hear you have had such bad luck with your 5100. mine nor my buddies have ever given us a minutes worth of trouble.
All it takes is one bad apple to spoil the peck.

I have a few 5100's and no problems.......I do have an 036 that spun a clutch side bearing in the case....Only seen one do that ....So is it a bad saw...NO....

Of course not! It means Stihl is a rotten, no good brand and anyone that was considering a purchase should go buy something else. It's that simple.

WOW what a thread.:dizzy:

I agree you can't judge a brand or model from such a small number of samples, and I do love my 7900. The dealer has had my saw for over a month.

I'm not going to say anything more about this for now, it just wouldn't make since to keep bringing this back up.

Andy.

Ok if you want to drop the Dolmar thread..

WOW what a thread.:dizzy:

I agree you can't judge a brand or model from such a small number of samples, and I do love my 7900. The dealer has had my saw for over a month.

I'm not going to say anything more about this for now, it just wouldn't make since to keep bringing this back up.

Andy.

But can you start an "I am through with Huskys thread"? Let me know and I will grab some cash and head your way to bring home that Sweet 372.. Wait,,, I mean old worn out piece of junk 372.. LOL
Nah Andy I hope you get this worked out.. I know it has been a battle with your stealer. That is why I tend to get my Dolmars mail order.I know that dealer will take care of me..

I just got a call from the dealer, they mixed my saw up with a different 5100:monkey: they have in the shop, my 5100 hasn't even been looked at. If I don't hear from them by Friday I'll just go pick the darn thing up and send it to somewone who can fix it.

So does this mean that the 7900 still has a home???

That sucks. I would put a call in to the Dolmar rep. Go to the shop and ask them for the contact info. That should get them off first base.

The one time that I have seen a clutch side bearing go bad was on a Jred!
The bearing and seal was replaced and then the owner was given a lesson in how not to take the rakers down to almost nothing!!:censored: Not the saws fault in this case.

Latest posts

Back