Nothing but nice things to say

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, almost forgot. To my list of nice things on this day, I just poured my first pint of Boddington's Pub Ale, and golly, it looks as rich as a freshly oiled piece of cherry wood. Mmmmmmmm. I think I'll drink it! Could be it'll have some company soon, too. I hear these ales run in packs. :D :D

Oh man...the stories I could tell...

We had one kid that could basically be talked into doing anything, and you can imagine a bunch of hotshots taking that ball and running with it. So they talked him into streaking through fire camp. He did it, right during dinner too. :)

The worst thing anyone can do is get me started talking about my Helitack years. I'll never stop.

Haven't met a group that'd size you up that quickly or accurately since.

I had a good day today. Got the fitting I needed so my new air compressor (replacing the dead Crapsman) could get up and running. Nothing like blowing new air over the saws to clean them up. :)

Spent a couple quality hours with the Fiskars SS on my pile of 7 cords of black ash and white birch. Mmmm, love the smell of fresh split wood in the morning. Smells like . . . a joyful life! :)

Touched up several chains in anticipation of this weekend's charity chainsawing get-together in Wisconsin, and fantasized about whether, with identical B&Cs, my ported and muff modded 038 Mag could outcut my stock MS460 in hardwood big enough to really test them out (no such 25- and 30-inch oak available up here). :)

Got to learn a few cool things by reading through AS threads (especially the mention of the billhook, which I hadn't handled for a coon's age), and was mostly able to ignore the usual suspect ignoramuses in favor of the knowledge. I learn a few cool things every day on this forum. :)

Thanks to everyone who has helped me and others. :bowdown:

As always, I'm happy to share what knowledge and experience I have. :givebeer:

BTW, that Amsoil is darn good oil! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Then there are the buttkissers...

Then there are the buttkissers...

You go, boy!
moon.gif

Oh wait, did you mean to imply that I AM THE BUTTKISSER? Ouch, dude! You're going to leave a mark with biotch slaps like that! Hmm, that calls for another Boddington's Pub Ale. :D :D :D

Last edited:
I find great value in the criticisms and opinions offered here, when they're offered in an adult manner by people who can do so without name-calling and tantrum throwing. That's what saying "not getting poopy pants" refers to, handling situations like mature, grown up adults without bickering, name calling, and personal attacks.

You'll never find a more "questioning" group than a bunch of work-hardened, seasoned firefighters on a Hotshot crew.

Tell me do you honestly believe that “smokejumpers” are an open and honest group of people?? Most of what I have seen and come to believe suggest that it is almost a quasi military in formation, deployment and organization. Am I missing something or in the spirit of this tread, educate me on the “openness and questioning” of the average smokejumper.

Tell me do you honestly believe that “smokejumpers” are an open and honest group of people?? Most of what I have seen and come to believe suggest that it is almost a quasi military in formation, deployment and organization. Am I missing something or in the spirit of this tread, educate me on the “openness and questioning” of the average smokejumper.

I've met and known several USFS fire crew members, including ground pounders, jumpers, and fixed wing and copter pilots, and have photographed them and written news stories featuring them. You can't be alive and aware in Ely without at least rubbing elbows with them in the local bars or on the streets.

That being said, that's all I have to say on the subject of their uncanny abilities to see into people, abilities that no doubt readily transfer to the online environment.

Oh, and to maintain the positive note yearned for by the OP, did I tell you what I did today at Banned Camp?

:popcorn:

I can't speak for every firefighter but those I work with (Hotshots, helitack, engine modules, smokejumpers, etc. ) are as open and honest as a human being can get. They'll tell you right there and then whether you're doing good or bad. Edisto can expound on the helitackers since that's his background.

There's no secrets in my organization and there never will be.

As far as being quasi military goes, there may be some like that in the fire services but I've never encountered them. That gets into a whole different ball game though since there's a number of problems at higher levels of various governments.

Jacob is on the money.

A fair percentage of the guys I worked with have graduate degrees. You don't last long in a business like that by being stupid. We had some dummies slip through...you just babysit them for the season, and don't invite them back.

As far as openness goes, they did listen when someone with experience was talking...which is more than can be said of you.

I'm guilty of drinking and typing, not often, but often enough. If, er when, I do it again, I'll let you-all know that substance abuse is in progress.
I do lose patience with the silly crap like the know-it-alls that haven't done a cotton pickin' thing, but will tell everyone how to do stuff. If we were all together in one place, I'd have someone with me, like Gary, handing out lessons in manners, I see a high body count.
I read a lot of threads here, the tech stuff is well beyond me, I enjoy it anyway, slowly gaining ground on the incomprehendable. The breadth of our crosssection is vast, there is always something of interest, stuff gets pretty throughly milled here.
Oh, yeah, if I have offended anyone with a pithy remark, piss off, I meant it.:)

Jacob is on the money.

A fair percentage of the guys I worked with have graduate degrees. You don't last long in a business like that by being stupid. We had some dummies slip through...you just babysit them for the season, and don't invite them back.

As far as openness goes, they did listen when someone with experience was talking...which is more than can be said of you.

Don’t you think that was kind of a cheap shot? So where are you on the original topic of this thread?? Here I am trying to learn something about firefighting as I have viewed it on the TV and you go and decide that you are just too good for me? Thanks pal. You are a credit to this site and your creed.

I'm guilty of drinking and typing, not often, but often enough. If, er when, I do it again, I'll let you-all know that substance abuse is in progress.
I do lose patience with the silly crap like the know-it-alls that haven't done a cotton pickin' thing, but will tell everyone how to do stuff. If we were all together in one place, I'd have someone with me, like Gary, handing out lessons in manners, I see a high body count.
I read a lot of threads here, the tech stuff is well beyond me, I enjoy it anyway, slowly gaining ground on the incomprehendable. The breadth of our crosssection is vast, there is always something of interest, stuff gets pretty throughly milled here.
Oh, yeah, if I have offended anyone with a pithy remark, piss off, I meant it.:)

Every once in awhile someone comes in who stands back and offers some balanced commentary on the foibles of the online world. And a shot of humor to boot. Good post, RandyMac. I'd rep ya, but I'm out of bullets just now.

Oh wait, if I give negative rep to edisto, will that put a few more hollow points back in my positive rep clip? Yeah, it was a joke, and "hollow point" was intentional. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I can't speak for every firefighter but those I work with (Hotshots, helitack, engine modules, smokejumpers, etc. ) are as open and honest as a human being can get. They'll tell you right there and then whether you're doing good or bad. Edisto can expound on the helitackers since that's his background.

There's no secrets in my organization and there never will be.

As far as being quasi military goes, there may be some like that in the fire services but I've never encountered them. That gets into a whole different ball game though since there's a number of problems at higher levels of various governments.

Thanks for being fair and honest in your replies. You seem like a good egg and someone you might be able to trust. Keep safe.

Don’t you think that was kind of a cheap shot? So where are you on the original topic of this thread?? Here I am trying to learn something about firefighting as I have viewed it on the TV and you go and decide that you are just too good for me? Thanks pal. You are a credit to this site and your creed.

"If you find no value from the criticisms or opinions vented here about your saws, your business practices, how you sharpen, how you cut or how you behave on a public forum, then you are truly beyond help. "

When someone repeats an answer they have just been given with a "do you really think that" in front of it, I think it is more gracious to assume they are doubtful, rather than assume they are slow.

Seemed to me you were trying to make a point instead of looking for info. I guess I was wrong...but I'm getting used to it.

Cheap shot? Hell yes! I'm afraid of open confrontation. I might get all pouty and embarrass myself.

Too good for you? Hell no. I've yet to find anything, let alone anyone that I'm too good for. I've been known to drink Aqua Velva in the tough times.

Speaking of tough times...what exactly is my creed, because I could sure use the credit.

"If you find no value from the criticisms or opinions vented here about your saws, your business practices, how you sharpen, how you cut or how you behave on a public forum, then you are truly beyond help. "

When someone repeats an answer they have just been given with a "do you really think that" in front of it, I think it is more gracious to assume they are doubtful, rather than assume they are slow.

Seemed to me you were trying to make a point instead of looking for info. I guess I was wrong...but I'm getting used to it.

Cheap shot? Hell yes! I'm afraid of open confrontation. I might get all pouty and embarrass myself.

Too good for you? Hell no. I've yet to find anything, let alone anyone that I'm too good for. I've been known to drink Aqua Velva in the tough times.

Speaking of tough times...what exactly is my creed, because I could sure use the credit.

Drinkin Aqua Velva is ok, long as ya ain't smokin crack with it...:cheers:

I guess some came in with different expectations than I did. I figured that guys that were interested in talking about chainsaws would act like...well...guys that were interested in talking about chainsaws.

Guys that would let you know when you said something stupid, and really let you have it if you refused to admit it was stupid.

Guys that give you a hard time about the saw you use or the truck you drive just for the sake of giving you a hard time.

Guys that can take as much as they dish out.

Guys that get too drunk and stupid and spout off once in a while.

You know...guys.

Some threads spin off into pure meanness, but why keep reading them?

That sounds like my kind of man. I grew up in a Walker County coal mining camp. I know just what you are saying.:agree2:

Back