Opinions on a Dolmar Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the 5100s, it was a great saw. Too bad the Dolmar line is nearly non-existant around here. Took me a while just to find a place to buy it. And at that, the dealer was a lawn equipment seller and Dolmars were at the bottom of his list of priorities.

Don't expect a PS-9010 performance in a PS-9000. They look identical on the outside but are different on the inside.

Yup... But when I'm done with it, the the jug and piston will be different than either... Any weaknesses in the lower end I should be aware of???

Dolmar 5105

I took my 5105 apart this morning.

I removed the pull starter and all the mechanism inside is the "Easy Start" style as shown in the ipl for the saw.

The coil is black and I could not find any numbers on it with it mounted in the engine.

I suppose the 13500 rpm coil is good enough for me for I'm just a firewood cutter

I suppose the 13500 rpm coil is good enough for me for I'm just a firewood cutter

You're saw has a 13,800 coil not a 13,500 coil.

All new production PS-460, PS-510, & PS-5105 have a 13,800 coil.

Don't expect a PS-9010 performance in a PS-9000. They look identical on the outside but are different on the inside.

Sounds like the 9000 has significantly less power than the 9010. I'm in the market for a used, large displacement saw and am leaning towards Dolmar. Is the 7900 a better bet for the money than the 9000? Haven't seen any 9010s for sale.

Can't comment on the 9000/9010 as I've not run one. I replaced my ported 394 with a 7900 for large felling and stump work. It is the first saw that I have had no temptation to take her top off. Very strong stock.

Sounds like the 9000 has significantly less power than the 9010. I'm in the market for a used, large displacement saw and am leaning towards Dolmar. Is the 7900 a better bet for the money than the 9000? Haven't seen any 9010s for sale.

9000 doesn't have "significantly" less, but it does have less.
Both are great saws and have nothing to be ashamed of in the 90cc class.
The 7900 is just a faster saw where the 9000 and 9010 get their power from more torque.
Depends solely on your needs and your finances.
If I could have only one, it would be the 7900.

If you are looking for a new 9010, you'd better hurry.
There aren't many left in the pipeline and they are going fast.

Mike

Dolmars are junk!!!!! Thats why I own a 510, 5-5100's and 2 Dolkita 6401 w/BBK & HD AF kit.
Can't beat them they are as good or better than the big 2. Oh and a Solo 665 (stroked 6400/6401) waiting on Baileys for a OEM 7900 P&C to become a 681. I highly recommend Dolmar saws. Again when I tell my customers about them they are clueless never heard of them. It's a shame dynamite saws.
Shep

The 7900 is just a faster saw where the 9000 and 9010 get their power from more torque.

Mike

Bwahahahahaha!!!!
:hell_boy:

attachment.php

Mike

You are right about that, I had major issues with the one that I bought in the summer, it blew up twice on me. I think the crank was out of whack on it. Anyhow they replaced it for me this time with a new one from '05. They said it was the last one at that distributor, there was no C in the serial number either. That is one awesome saw for sure, my first one was a bad luck deal.

Latest posts

Back