Ordered Propane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just ordered some propane. I know conventional wisdom says to wait until summertime when the prices are usually cheaper. I just don't think prices will be cheaper this summer because the way the oil prices are escalating so I'm rolling the dice.

My wife called the propane company and I got a somewhat pleasant surprise when she told me what the price was. The price was $1.999 per gal. but since I'm not getting 200 gal. or more it would be $2.099. The price would be higher if I didn't own my own tank. I was expecting the price to be at least $2.50 a gal. or more.

I went out and looked and my tank gauge says just a smidgen over 60% so a little over 100 gal. should fill it. I'm sure since it's a small sale they'll go a little over the 80% mark. It's been 2 years and 8 months since I had it last filled so this fill should last me a long time if for some reason I'm not able to buy any more. I like to be prepared for the worst.

What are you guys paying for propane?

So in 2 years and 8 months you've used only 20% of your propane. You currently have 60%. Your tank filled to it's max will only read @ 80%. At your current rate it should last at least 5 more years. (I know you need at least 5-10% minimum to work) Why would you buy any right now?

I've been sitting at 20% for the last 2 months. Keeping it relatively low keeps me from getting lazy:msp_laugh:. We only use it for my tankless water heater. Been 100% wood heat so far this year. Just carried in my last cord of wood. I'm crossing my fingers for a mild Feb/March.

I paid $1.30 this past summer. Good luck

Started (October 13th) with 48%...Im at 40% as of Sunday...I will not fill until I reach 20% or less...I have chased the LP man off three times this winter. I won't fill until it's absolutely necessary, or the price is under $1... 40 gallons for hot water and dryer for the winter...LOVE heating with wood.

I got 200 gallons about 2 months ago for 1.90 per gal.. I'll bet it's higher than that now! Good thing I won't have to buy any more till next fall...

Why would you buy any right now?

Our country is in terrible shape right now and I don't think it would take much to make it topple. I might be a worry wart but I just want to be as prepared as I can if something big does happen. I've heated 100% with wood this winter. I can cook for a long time with 400 gal. of propane. :msp smile:

You guys are makin' me feel bad now with the propane prices that most of you paid. I haven't bought any in so long I didn't realize that it had gone down in price that much. Oh well, a little over $200.00 and I'll be good for a long time.

Our country is in terrible shape right now and I don't think it would take much to make it topple. I might be a worry wart but I just want to be as prepared as I can if something big does happen. I've heated 100% with wood this winter. I can cook for a long time with 400 gal. of propane. :msp smile:

You guys are makin' me feel bad now with the propane prices that most of you paid. I haven't bought any in so long I didn't realize that it had gone down in price that much. Oh well, a little over $200.00 and I'll be good for a long time.

While we are certainly not in the best of shape, we are far from "toppling". Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

:)

how does everyone know how full their tank is? i can only find gauges to 40lb tanks, and i have a 100gal for my shop heater.

$1.49/gallon this fall. Had to shop around to find that price, several companies were over $2.00/gallon. Glad to say the propane furnace hasn't lit since the day the Quadra-Fire was installed!

Filled mine this past fall at 1.60.

We used it a little last fall but since then the tank has been shut off and I have no reason to turn it on any time soon.

Filled our tank around July last year at 80%. We have a 500 gallon tank. Went out and checked it out the other day we were at about 71%. Used around 40 gallons since filled. The only thing I'm not happy about is they will hit us with a non-usage fee. Last year is was around 100.00. If they will fill they will wave the fee. They have tried to get us with a smaller tank, but our home is too big. Basically we use it for canning, cooking and laundry. But if there ever be an emergency it's there to use. In the past dad would have used 2 1/2 - 3 tanks.

Back