Oregon reduced weight bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many chains do you get out of a bar?

Do you run all 36", or do you have an assortment? Just curious.

I grind and squeeze my rails when needed. I have bars I still use that are over 2 years old and some older that a good enough to use, but don't.
I run 32"s with some 36"s in the Reduced Weight.

I agree with losing a few pounds, however that doesn't do anything for the stress on your wrists, elbows, and shoulders from running a big saw with a long bar all day. Come on out west and I'll put you on a logging job cutting timber 6 hours a day on a full-manufacture production side and then we'll see what you have to say about a few ounces.

I have done 6, 8 and even 12 hours of such and if I saw some overweight slouch complaining about a couple of ounces, I would suggest skipping the drive-thru once a week.

80% of the USA was clearcut by hand by men, I am 100% sure, did not complain about ounces.

Wake up before everything is outsourced to the Chinese.

We have requested shorter lengths and they are looking into it right now. As for where they are made, the bodies are essentially "Oregon Pro" bars made in Guelph, Ontario. They are then shipped to Portland, Oregon where they are machined out and the aluminum is inserted. So, they are made both in Canada and the U.S.A. (As of this winter).

Thanks for a streigh answer - cool!

Last edited:
chrispy6822 said:
See now I feel bad. I laugh every time I see some fat bastard riding a $4k, 10lb bicycle down the street, wearing clothes so tight it should be against the law. I have now learned that he is doing it so save his ankles, knees and hips.

Can learn a lot in here.

Have you ever cut timber professionally on steep (+100% slopes), rocky ground? Have you ever packed around the big Silvey tree jacks? A fully loaded west coast cutter has about 115 pounds of gear to pack around. It's not like doing tree work in town or logging hardwoods in the rolling hills of eastern Massachusetts.

Plus, you're taking my post out of context. Regardless if a guy has a beer belly or not, holding the weight of the saw and bar out there puts the strain on the upper extremities. Most of the guys I know committed to using these lightweight bars and other lighter components are the old timers who started out logging back when a Mall 4mg was the newest technology in the woods. These guys broke in the hard way and put a lot of wear and tear on their bodies early on.

Have you ever cut timber professionally on steep (+100% slopes), rocky ground? Have you ever packed around the big Silvey tree jacks? A fully loaded west coast cutter has about 115 pounds of gear to pack around. It's not like doing tree work in town or logging hardwoods in the rolling hills of eastern Massachusetts.

Yes I have.

Plus, you're taking my post out of context. Regardless if a guy has a beer belly or not, holding the weight of the saw and bar out there puts the strain on the upper extremities. Most of the guys I know committed to using these lightweight bars and other lighter components are the old timers who started out logging back when a Mall 4mg was the newest technology in the woods. These guys broke in the hard way and put a lot of wear and tear on their bodies early on.

Agreed. But you contradict your own argument with "wear and tear on their bodies". What puts more wear and tear on a body lugging around 40lbs of gut or a bar a few ounces heavier?

I am all for the cool factor of lightweight and if that is your hobby and it makes you happy then I am all for it. On the other hand if I claimed it made me more productive or put less strain on my body while I was 50lbs overweight, I would feel foolish. Much like the fat man on the race bicycle.

By your reasoning if you had to choose one person to hire, a man 70lbs overweight but with a bar that was a few ounces lighter, would get the job over an athletic body with a regular bar.

Not trying to start an argument, just that priorities need to be thought out better. Imagine the work that our grandparents or great-grandparents could accompish if they had the tools we have today?

I didn't contradict my argument with "wear and tear on their bodies", these old guys I'm talking about are leaner and trimmer than you are. There aren't very many pus guts making it out there as pro timber fallers, there's a few but they're very rare. You're making assumptions.

One of the reasons our grandparents and great grandparents did things the way they did is because they didn't have today's tools or technology. I will agree however that if a person was to take 1,000 MS-660's back to 1951 there would be very few trees left standing.

Then Oregon need to update their website

I have not looked in the catalog lately as the local cutters are not really interested.....or weren't

Almost forgot about the BEST part of the Sugis

They're
SHINY

like chrome

Anyone use one yet? I saw one at the shop today, it was light, and expensive, like three times the price of a powermatch. Are they good, do they last, are they worth it? Thanks/Jim
I don't like them, they are not as strong as the Tsumura light bars. We sell very few of the Oregon light bars.

I do not rember where I saw it. But I read a article that said carrying five extra pounds on your feet was like carrying 35 pounds on your back. I would think it would be the same at the end of your arms. Just try how long you can hold your arms strait out not holding anything. I am sure the guys that cut full time can do it a lot longer than I can my multiple times. As I am just getting into my main firewood cutting for the year the saw is really beating me up :chainsaw:

Anyone wanting a lite bar/ chainsaw the more power to them. It might bring the price down to where someone like me could get one just for bragging rights around the campfire. And if you don't thats fine too.

Billy

Well said.

For the record:

Oregon Reduced Weight - 32" .050 is 3.60 lbs
Oregon Powermatch Plus - 32" .050 is 4.75 lbs

I have done 6, 8 and even 12 hours of such and if I saw some overweight slouch complaining about a couple of ounces, I would suggest skipping the drive-thru once a week.

80% of the USA was clearcut by hand by men, I am 100% sure, did not complain about ounces.

Cant say I ever did any professional logging,and I regret never pursuing that.BUT I was a commercial hook and line fisherman for 23 yrs continuously, chasing Halibut and sablefish.You'd be surprised what a difference a few ounces of weight would make over the course of many back to back hard days.As you can imagine,fisherman on any coast wear rain gear,which might weight 5-7lbs at most (dry,this was before the new fancy light weight stuff).2 fat 5" rubberbands,one on each boot or 2 pr 6" rubber bands,used to blouse up the bottom of the raingear high on the rubber boots fulfills 2 important needs.First and foremost,is keeping out or at least slowing down the cold Gulf of Alaska/Bering Sea sea water from filling up your boots (and many times much more)from the bottom up.
But also just the simple blousing of the rainpants,helps keep the weight off the shoulders some.And believe me after 18,20,24,30,40,50 hour days,those precious pounds add up BIG TIME.
So while at first glance it may not sound like much,I think Id give him the benefit of the doubt.And as far as the china thing goes,thats the nature of the capitalist system.Just read where some particular GM motors were now being made in china for US import.So who's fault is that?
With the falling $,some manufacturing SHOULD be coming back to the shores as we become more competitive,to bad our cost of living is rising faster than our wages.
spring's almost here
ak4195

And there is little if any info on the site still about the Oregon Pro bars.....it does not come up on the bar selector at all....only the Power Match and double guards and solid nose which in some lengths is being discontinued

Not just a troll but a lean muscular troll. And one who doesn't like the Chinese.

Last edited:
Yes... you are right!

And there is little if any info on the site still about the Oregon Pro bars.....it does not come up on the bar selector at all....only the Power Match and double guards and solid nose which in some lengths is being discontinued

Although I happened upon 2 'Pro' bars when selecting for Stihl:

323PMDD025 & 363PMDD025

Really could be more user friendly.

Q. Which bars are being discontinued - worldwide?

Then don't buy Chinese

Not just a troll but a lean muscular troll. And one who doesn't like the Chinese.

The Chinese bars came about as a natural cycle in straight competition and old fashioned supply and demand.

If you survey what is happening now in Husqvarna dealers in the mid west and west you will see what we saw here in the east around 20 years ago.

Oregon is part of a huge multi national now and is majority owned/controlled by a very large New York banking concern.

When they bought Windsor they eliminated some competition and the prices for the Windsors began to climb and also there became delivery problems to larger distributors.

Now we have a situation where a company who is a sponsor here is selling the Windsor bars at less than the dealer cost end column is here in the east.

It is just like being a Husqvarna dealer in the 90s when the internet took off.

There is a lot to be said in staying with a supplier that has the same pricing structure for everybody so an independent can make a living too.......and not have to be harassed by his customer because his customer saw the same bar the independent is selling at XX percent less.

Latest posts

Back