Performance saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as its not the scottish prime minister of England Gordon Brown - he was a complete numpty

Port and pipe work is only half the score the most powers made throu carb mods where do you stand with carb work? Most saws will go backwards in performance with out decent carb mods what have you got on offer?

MCW, would you have a 52mm piston and ring set in a better quality than standard and trying to hunt down a stronger crank because the standard one dosent quite cut it when the saw is tuned up into the high rpms, here's what happened ( see pic ) so at the moment the tune has been backed off so the new crank holds on for a bit, and in saying that as soon as I find a stronger replacement I'll bring the tune right back up because I honestly think the engine has a lot of potential and I'm happy to work with you in any way for R&D purposes or anything else I can help you with.
460cixy at this stage I'm having no problem adapting larger carbs onto saws and along with my mods to the inside the spark plug tells me that everything is running fine on the AFR side of things, and I'm also using my own blend of fuel which uses a % of Power Plus+ racing fuel, not sure if it's legal for comp but that's what im using.
image.jpg

MCW, would you have a 52mm piston and ring set in a better quality than standard and trying to hunt down a stronger crank because the standard one dosent quite cut it when the saw is tuned up into the high rpms, here's what happened ( see pic ) so at the moment the tune has been backed off so the new crank holds on for a bit, and in saying that as soon as I find a stronger replacement I'll bring the tune right back up because I honestly think the engine has a lot of potential and I'm happy to work with you in any way for R&D purposes or anything else I can help you with.
460cixy at this stage I'm having no problem adapting larger carbs onto saws and along with my mods to the inside the spark plug tells me that everything is running fine on the AFR side of things, and I'm also using my own blend of fuel which uses a % of Power Plus+ racing fuel, not sure if it's legal for comp but that's what im using.
View attachment 360984

The race saws (365 copies) don't seem to have issues with the aftermarket cranks although the bearings were a concern early on despite hanging in there. What compression are you running? I'm keen to help you out as most Australian saw builders worth their salt only do race saws by word of mouth only. It is bloody expensive to send saws to and from the US to get ported and built.
Oh and I only have piston and cylinder kits but can get just pistons if need be.

MCW, I'm keen to grab some specs and info on those cranks and some of those other numbers if i can, perhaps I'll inbox you and we can talk further from there, I'd be very interested in getting a saw of mine to compete at a pro level or any other form of comp for that matter.

Hi Brush Ape like wise to you

Also guys I've grabbed a new cylinder head to port, so I'll do a before and after so everyone can see my work and then I'll do some vids once it's done

The only specs I have on the cranks is that they fit a 365/371/372. I import these parts myself from a guy in China that I deal with.
The other problem is that I don't have timing numbers - I wouldn't even know how to time a saw :) The hands on side of saw porting is certainly not my area of expertise :(

All good MCW I'm pretty happy where I'm at with timing numbers, somthing that may interest you also even on a retail side of things ( possibly ) is I have an adjustable coil bracket in the making to make timing adjustment easier, rather than do a keyway mod, I'll inbox you at some stage today regarding the other items that were discussed

I to am watching this thread with great interest welcome buzz nut to AS although iam a little sceptical as to how much experience you have working on chainsaws I know the principals are basically the same on 2 strokes butt there there are suttle changes to all engines just my 2cents worth welcome aboard the as train:D

Stihl working hard,
Thanks for the welcome very much appreciated,
I can understand the way most would be thinking regarding someone new who claims to be able to perform these types of mods and that's totally acceptable.

So here's what I'm willing to offer, as I said earlier I have a Stihl ms390 sitting here which I planed to rebuild stock, well now I'll rebuild it modified and the mods will include, porting, ignition system, muffler and carb, it won't be built as a all out race saw instead a workable saw with plenty of power.

I'll do a thread on the build for all on here to see, also anyone who lives in Melbourne is more than welcome to come and see the build stages first hand, then once finished all those who a interested are invited to come and operate the saw and voice their opinion.

After all that it will be put up for sale, so that's my offer, I trust there is enough interest for me to go ahead with this and look forward to showing everyone how I do things.
I'll be chasing down parts I believe so if there's anybody keen to get me a good price on some parts that will be very helpful, also would anyone know the standard output figures for the 390 so a before and after can be done on that as well.
Lastly on this, please remember it won't happen over night but will happen as I'm a bit busy atm with a few other things

Ms390 about the 4.3 hp mark 13kw in the new money no idea how you could ever measure it not like you can just wack it on the dyno

Ms390 about the 4.3 hp mark 13kw in the new money no idea how you could ever measure it not like you can just wack it on the dyno

Me tinking you have your KW to HP conversion wrong. 4.3HP is 3.2KW.
The easiest way to measure HP is to hook a few horses up with a rope and see if you can winch them in :)

Me tinking you have your KW to HP conversion wrong. 4.3HP is 3.2KW.
The easiest way to measure HP is to hook a few horses up with a rope and see if you can winch them in :)

Probly right mate I'm only a dumb mechanic after all. ( disclaimer I pinched the specs off another site) And thanks I was wondering how they worked it out I take it there's a standard size/weight of horse as to get consistent results. Could a camel or ox be substituted ?

Probly right mate I'm only a dumb mechanic after all. And thanks I was wondering how they worked it out I take it there's a standard size/weight of horse as to get consistent results. Could a camel or ox be substituted ?

In the middle east they use Camels and in Asia they use Water Buffalo. Not sure if there is a conversion factor for ox.

Latest posts

Back