Please help out an Aussie noob with saw choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dolmar/Makita 6401 is a great saw, just be aware of how much heavier and bulkier it is than your Partner 5000. If you want a 70cc saw, then it is a great choice. If 50-60cc will do the job there are better (lighter) options.

welcome

welcome to AS ! save your money cause these guys sure will help you spend it. :hmm3grin2orange:
lotta good info on here too.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will check out the makita for weight if I can find a store that has them in stock.

Is there any stores in the Northern Melbourne area you guys could recommend for getting the partner looked at? After reading some more on how popular they seem to be, it might be worth getting it back to 100%.

If any of you want advice on computers, particularly higher end custom setups, just hit me up - that's my area of expertise. :)

Thanks for all the help guys, I will check out the makita for weight if I can find a store that has them in stock.

Is there any stores in the Northern Melbourne area you guys could recommend for getting the partner looked at? After reading some more on how popular they seem to be, it might be worth getting it back to 100%.

If any of you want advice on computers, particularly higher end custom setups, just hit me up - that's my area of expertise. :)

there are not many stores that service Makita saws, you can get them from most tool shops that sell Makita but most will have to order them in for you, try online for them, and even fewer stores will have parts for them, Mekita's supplie of parts is slow at the best, most Aussie AS members that have Makita saws find that you can parts for them quicker and cheper from the USA,

as mentioned any tool shop with a makita account can get them but the only place ive seen that stocks them is a one of my local saw shops but werribee is a decent trip from st andrews

Your old saw is a 50cc and it's worked fine all these years, there is probably no need to jump to a 70cc+ like some have mentioned. You'll do just fine with a 60cc saw with a 18" bar. The Husqvarna 365, 359 and 562 would work great and so would the Stihl 362. The Stihl 261 would also do the job and weigh a bit less than the 60cc saws, it packs quite a bit of torque for a 50cc.

chainsaw

Hi from Wa I just bought a saw from america a few days back, just waiting for her to arrive . I bought the Husky rancher 460 for $550 dollars delivered, that same saw from a husky dealer ove r here costs close to $1200. Ill let you know how she goes when I get it, should be a massive step up from the $200 36cc mcculloch from bunnings as for the local dealer refusing to work on my saw that would be unwise for him as I buy all my bar oil, 2 stroke oli and chains/ sharpening there.

Hi from Wa I just bought a saw from america a few days back, just waiting for her to arrive . I bought the Husky rancher 460 for $550 dollars delivered, that same saw from a husky dealer ove r here costs close to $1200. Ill let you know how she goes when I get it, should be a massive step up from the $200 36cc mcculloch from bunnings as for the local dealer refusing to work on my saw that would be unwise for him as I buy all my bar oil, 2 stroke oli and chains/ sharpening there.

he aint gunna give a rats about that and wellcom to AS

Well im sure I can fix it myself if push comes to shove, as much as id love to buy one local theres no way I can afford 1200 bucks. Took me the 8 months of summer and autum to save 600. Would of loved to grab a 562xp but way out of my buget. Anyway ill let you know how it goes and cheers for the welcome :)

Well done there Timmy,one day the Ozzy dealers will work it out but will be to late then.:frown:

thats it andrew but it ain't there falt it's stihl aus and husky aus in a way i fell sorry for the dealers they just got to take it if they import there stuff from the us they would lose the dealership

Yep i agree,but why is it then ya see shops in Ozz selling Stihl gear online (fleebay) how can they do this with out meating the customer and going through all the bull sh_t with them.I see a lot off them come from the US because you can see there not the Ozzy models ?.

Jim, send that old Partner up to me and I'll see if it is worth fixing. You will not get much satisafaction having it repaired as the guys in the repair shops either won't know what it is or will need to charge you lots to even look at it. Remember, they need to make a living and time is money - I am sure you don't charge $5.00 per hour to work on computers and do you still stock Commodore 64, Apple 2e and Atari parts?
They won't have any Partner parts either.
I have some secondhand bits and pieces but some parts, like AV mounts, oil pumps and oil pump drives are just not available. And have you ever tried to remove the oil pump drive gear from the crank shaft on one of these after it has sat there for 30 years?
My Partners are for fun - they run well and I enjoy using them occassionally but I have modern saws for when it counts. If you want to post it up the road to me I will take a look for free and even repair it if I have the parts (lots of Husky 55 parts are interchangable). But you really need to listen to the herd and get yourself a modern, reliable saw. I reckon your old 5000 has done its work and really doesn't owe you anything. PM me if you want assistance.
Some of mine:
P2240623.jpg
Al.

Latest posts

Back