PNW tree pics. Let's see the day to day...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yep, I've been awaitin'... I put in the other thread I've been pretty disappointed with the size of the timber they're cutting on that show. I know that's not what you guys run 660's and full wraps with 60" bars for.?.? Is it??? Those trees are like 24+ inch pines. Hence why I started this thread... Gary, Andy, Bob etc... I wanna see some of those day to day GIANT trees. I only mentioned a few of ya'll since you jumped on me bout me talkin' smack about my east trees, lmao... heheheheheee I've never been out west, heard a lot of talk, but want to see what in the heck all the smack is about. Please don't tell me that the day to day trees are the size of what they are cutting in that show. I know it's second cut, but about 50 or so yrs ago my great grandfather planted around 500 acres of plantation pines. Now, many of them are in the 40+ inch range. I haven't seen a single one on that show that size. I see those huge bars, BIG husky's and Stihls, but the bars are like 3X's the length of the trees and they are only 36"ers... I'm not starting a place to vent here... Nor am I saying anybody is full of beeswax, but dang, I'd really like to see some of what everyone does everyday that enables people from the PNW to talk the smack they do... My buddy from Oregon says all the really big stuff is protected. That true??? Remember??? Fishhuntcutwood had a few pics of some BIG trees he was always cutting. Now lets see some of some others eh?

:popcorn: :clap: :cheers: eh?

I will say that whole trolley thing is like super cool, lmao... Is it done like that all over there in the PNW??? Is it like that because of the mountainous terrain???

Last edited:
Our old growth timber is protected because its RARE. As I recall hearing on the history channel, only 3% of true Old Growth timber remains on the West Coast (don't quote me on that).

I live in Oak Harbor, on Whidbey Island. Back in the day we had a fire as I recall being told and it burned a lot of our old growth down. But you can still find some stumps back in the woods where you can see the tree was dropped with a 2 man saw. I have seen some stumps here that are easily 5-6' in diameter.

Live trees that big are a wonderful asset. On the north end of Whidbey we have Deception pass State Park - which is 4900 acres of big trees and I hope it remains that way.

Then there is the large oak tree down by the Post Office, and it is protected beyond belief - and for good reason. The rest are probably labeled Eagle perching trees. There are some properties on the South end of Whidbey that do have some big trees, but no way anyones gonna cut those down.

We have a lot of rare Garry Oaks here (hence the city name Oak Harbor) that are all protected. You have to have a permit to even trim one, much less cut one down. Even then, the police will still show up.

Now if you want to know about big trees - below sea level in places there is a 20' thick layer of wood that a glacier bulldozed during the ice age.

but if you must see some pics, these were posted by walkerized a few years back. These pics are all on Vancouver Island BC, Canada

Ceadar tree
attachment.php

Fir, that is missing 1/4 of the tree.
attachment.php

This one is 28' across. Quoted from J walker

The faller use a 40" bar and on the large 28' he will acually climb right inside the tree and all you will see is his boots sticking out.
I would sat it may of taken most of the day to fall that baby

attachment.php

Very interesting

Our old growth timber is protected because its RARE. As I recall hearing on the history channel, only 3% of true Old Growth timber remains on the West Coast (don't quote me on that).

I live in Oak Harbor, on Whidbey Island. Back in the day we had a fire as I recall being told and it burned a lot of our old growth down. But you can still find some stumps back in the woods where you can see the tree was dropped with a 2 man saw. I have seen some stumps here that are easily 5-6' in diameter.

Live trees that big are a wonderful asset. On the north end of Whidbey we have Deception pass State Park - which is 4900 acres of big trees and I hope it remains that way.

Then there is the large oak tree down by the Post Office, and it is protected beyond belief - and for good reason. The rest are probably labeled Eagle perching trees. There are some properties on the South end of Whidbey that do have some big trees, but no way anyones gonna cut those down.

We have a lot of rare Garry Oaks here (hence the city name Oak Harbor) that are all protected. You have to have a permit to even trim one, much less cut one down. Even then, the police will still show up.

Now if you want to know about big trees - below sea level in places there is a 20' thick layer of wood that a glacier bulldozed during the ice age.

I'd like to see some pics of all of that... That is super interesting... Whole reason I started asking and wondering is my whole life I've wanted to see the trees people have told me about, like big enough to drive a car through. I've got pics from here, OLD PICS of early 1900's when trees were well into the 8' diameter range... Hence I assumed that's what all the hype was about out there and that was the ONLY place left you could see stuff that big or cut or do anything like that. I've been in the sawmill since I was 4 or 5, I'm not exactly a stranger to it... The APA was started here in the late 1800's, which means a ton of this is protected also, hence why we have a lot of 3 - 4 foot trees. But out there I just expected more, only with SIZE of the trees. Nothing else. I just wanna see some pics of what everyone cuts day to day... Ya know. It's not uncommon for me to cut 3' trees here. When I saw all of what they've been cutting and nothing much bigger planned, I was kinda like, "ummmmm, that is what they buy $1200 saws and bars for???" C'mon... Sooooooo... Since I was searching for big pics of trees and Gary had that big PNW thread before, I figgered, "what the heck eh?" No disrespect meant. I wasn't trying to start a heated discussion. I figgered the dudes from out there that got all pissed off, they'd be the ones that never cut big trees and were really just talkin' smak, lmao... Sweet info though dude... I'm gonna look some of it up.

NO BEER, I HAVE INSOMNIA... HEHEHEHEHEEH

:cheers: eh?

Omfg

but if you must see some pics, these were posted by walkerized a few years back. These pics are all on Vancouver Island BC, Canada

Ceadar tree
attachment.php

Fir, that is missing 1/4 of the tree.
attachment.php

This one is 28' across. Quoted from J walker

The faller use a 40" bar and on the large 28' he will acually climb right inside the tree and all you will see is his boots sticking out.
I would sat it may of taken most of the day to fall that baby

attachment.php

That is what I'm talkin' bout... hehehehehehehe

:clap:

Last edited:
I was in BC on the island two years ago went to Cathedral Grove there is some monster tree's there Fir and Cedar.I have lots of pic's but dial up is way to slow to post them sorry.

Come on guys get the pictures comin'. My dream vacation is to go out west and see the trees in person!!!! I would love to see a crew loggin' too.

Billy

I know of a place 45 minutes from my house that has a 12' DBH Doug Fir, 8' DBH cedar, 2 Hemlocks at 5-6' DBH, and another Ceadar that is somewhere in the 6-8' DBH all within 60 yards of eachother.

I know this will agitate some of the guys farther north but if you want to see big trees being logged California is the place to go. I'll probably get whacked around for this but it's true.

Second growth redwood, Ponderosa Pine, Cedar, Red Fir...we still get quite a few three log loads.

We had a sale a couple of years ago that was mostly Ponderosa..two 32' long bunk logs and either a 32' peaker or two sixteens. Made for a pretty good load, too. Nice to look at but a bear to haul.

If there's a burn salvage or a bug-kill sale you'll see some really big stuff. That's about the only time you'll see big timber coming off of government ground. Private ground is a different story.

But...we still log a lot of the smaller timber, too. Some of the pine plantations planted back in the sixties and seventies are being harvested. They kind of look like telephone poles but the uniformity in size makes the sawmill guys happy I guess.

And Cisco...? Quit calling us "dude". I've told you about that before.:)

Here ya go!

attachment.php

These are out my bedroom window and definatly not big trees. This area burned to the ground in the 1920's so these are only 80 or so years old.

big trees in PA

We got big trees like that around here. My buddy once told me that they where cutting a stand of timber way up in the mountain. There was a 11ft across red oak. He brought in his 880 to cut it with a 6' bar......they got it down. They got the top logs out...but couldn't get the but log out cause their franklin 170 couldn't pull it. And it was 4 mile into the woods. He siad that it's still up there today..... Then I was talking to my other logging buddy that owns a restraunt down the road from me that said that they where cutting up in johnstown and they come across a 9ft across dead whiteoak that was still standing. They just left it standing cause it was so enourmous... Then they cut the same stand a second time 10 yrs later and it was still there...standing... There is 5ft and 6ft trees all around here....not too many left..but they're out there.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :clap: :)

I know this will agitate some of the guys farther north but if you want to see big trees being logged California is the place to go. I'll probably get whacked around for this but it's true.

Second growth redwood, Ponderosa Pine, Cedar, Red Fir...we still get quite a few three log loads.

We had a sale a couple of years ago that was mostly Ponderosa..two 32' long bunk logs and either a 32' peaker or two sixteens. Made for a pretty good load, too. Nice to look at but a bear to haul.

If there's a burn salvage or a bug-kill sale you'll see some really big stuff. That's about the only time you'll see big timber coming off of government ground. Private ground is a different story.

But...we still log a lot of the smaller timber, too. Some of the pine plantations planted back in the sixties and seventies are being harvested. They kind of look like telephone poles but the uniformity in size makes the sawmill guys happy I guess.

And Cisco...? Quit calling us "dude". I've told you about that before.:)

You're probably right, with exception to B.C. maybe.

I haven't seen too many logs coming out of here that were monsters. Now Tree Sling'r has some good videos of him cutting some decent size trees.

Back