POLL: which do you prefer, 1 ton dump truck or pick up truck/dump trailer combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owbguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'd like to see some thoughts on this subject. If you had the choice of one or the other, would you own a 1 ton dump truck, or a pick up truck and hydraulic dump trailer? Let me know what you'd choose and why that versus the other.

To make it fair, consider the dump truck to be something like a Ford F-350 with 10 foot hydraulic dump bed. Consider the truck/trailer combo to be something along the lines of a Ford F-250 coupled with a 6'x12' dump trailer. Don't get all crazy dreaming about options and extras. Keep it simple and realistic.

I've often thought about getting a 1 ton dump truck. I had a lead on a good deal a couple months ago but didn't pull the trigger. Failure-to-buy remorse set in afterwards. :bang: At the time, I just couldn't do it. Now I wish I did.

So, now I'm dreaming and planning. I like the idea of having the truck and dump box together for getting into tight places and maneuverability. But I also really like the idea of being able to drive the truck without hauling the big box, and hooking up trailers, splitter etc would not be blind. I do tow a 20 foot boat from time to time, and a pickup would make that easier. The height of the dump bed is a consideration as well. For the dump box, I'd mostly be hauling firewood, logs, dirt, gravel and stone.

So, I'm curious to see your choices and the reasons. :popcorn:

I have an 1989 r35 chev 1 ton dump truck. I think I would prefer a truck and dump trailer. For me at least the insurance is expensive for the dumper because it is considered commercial vehicle.

I can run a 1 ton dump without a commercial licence, that would suck, I would prefer the 1 ton dump.Fewer tires to fix flats in, easier to get around in, 1 less inspection sticker and registration to deal with.

you can haul 2-3x as much in a dump trailer than you can in a 1 ton dump truck. Less insurance and use the truck you have to haul with already. 1 ton dump trucks are a waste of time and money. by the time you put anything substantial in them you're over weight.

I can run a 1 ton dump without a commercial licence, that would suck, I would prefer the 1 ton dump.Fewer tires to fix flats in, easier to get around in, 1 less inspection sticker and registration to deal with.

The license wasnt the problem it is the insurance. Maybe its just my truck but when my insurance company ran the vin they told me it would have to have commercial insurance:dizzy:

owbguy, there is a way to set up a thread with an actual poll where people input answers. Just remember that every poll must have at least one option for a person to click that mentions something about StihlSawing's birthday. :clap:

As for me, I wish I had the opportunity to try both so I could actually have a vote in this one. :msp_sad:

If you do go with the truck trailer combo, make sure you don't loan it out to a buddy that decides to scrape caked up topsoil out with your bobcat he also borrowed and make double sure he does not crack the steel tailgate with said bobcat or you might just find yourself in your shop late on Columbus day spending quality time with a mig welder and grinder...just saying.

Pick up with trailer.. much more useful.. However with that said. I have a dually with a B&W turn over hitch, i am trying to adapt a box lift to fit around the fifth wheel hitch under the bed... Then i can have a dump bed and still my hitch..

my vote would be for a 1 ton dump truck.. no need for a special license or commercial ins. under 26000 pounds operated with a class c or d license... or a farm bussiness operation. mn is very liberial.......here you could squeeze by with just liability ins, and usual cost for a 15year old tonner is around $50.00 for farm use tags @11,000#....... so not bad for a seasonal user.

Last edited:
If you do go with the truck trailer combo, make sure you don't loan it out to a buddy that decides to scrape caked up topsoil out with your bobcat he also borrowed and make double sure he does not crack the steel tailgate with said bobcat or you might just find yourself in your shop late on Columbus day spending quality time with a mig welder and grinder...just saying.

:msp_ohmy: sounds like your buddy needs a lesson or two in life skills. I think a 4 foot 2x4 should teach him that. :hmm3grin2orange: Serious.. he would be fixing my stuff if he broke it.

you can haul 2-3x as much in a dump trailer than you can in a 1 ton dump truck. Less insurance and use the truck you have to haul with already. 1 ton dump trucks are a waste of time and money. by the time you put anything substantial in them you're over weight.

"Horsehockey" My 79 weighs 7k I'm tagged at 19 so that's 6 ton I legally haul! A dump trailer the same size is no different, also More brakes, more bearings,more springs to maintain. Plus I can put it dern near anywhere. I plan to air bag it soon For increased stability. I'm routinely at my 19k and it handles fine.

Lol I even thought of putting a power tag axel on it but realistically I rarely am overweight even though i have 32 inch sideboards and have if full to the brim most loads.

Last edited:
Well my vote is truck and trailer. I had a one ton and loved it but the plate and insurance for a 11,000 gvw got to be just to much .Now I have a dump trailer for me the trailer if the better choice .

I think it depends on a few items. 1) How often are you going to be collecting firewood? Will it be 2 weeks out of the year or 60hrs a week? 2) What kind of support equipment do you have? Load by hand or load with skid loader? Should you have a flat trailer to haul a tractor or loader too? 3) Do you have other uses for a P/U or dump truck?

One neighbor I have hauls his tree trunks in a semi sized dump trailer and uses a large track hoe with a thumb to load it. Another neighbor uses a P/U with a dump trailer. The other neighbor has a P/U and trailer to haul his bobcat. I work on their equipment and make them homemade oatmeal cookies so they help me get my wood.

I'v been using the same dump trailer since 96 and it is great, BUT....

I use it allot (commercially) and it seems to cost about $1000 per year in maintenance and upkeep, electric brakes need lots of attention (two safety inspections per year) insurance ect....
Its nice to leave it loaded and not have to empty it like you might with a truck.
Its nice how much you can haul and still have the truck drive decent.
I like how rough I can be with it sometimes (loading with an excavator ect) thinking I wouldn't like to do this to a truck

I am very good at backing it up but it still gets frustrating sometimes
Parking is allot tougher to do with a trailer in town (mine is in town a lot)
People are more inclined to ask to borrow it because its not a truck so I usually leave a load in it.:biggrin:
one more piece to mantain

"Horsehockey" My 79 weighs 7k I'm tagged at 19 so that's 6 ton I legally haul! A dump trailer the same size is no different, also More brakes, more bearings,more springs to maintain. Plus I can put it dern near anywhere. I plan to air bag it soon For increased stability. I'm routinely at my 19k and it handles fine.

Lol I even thought of putting a power tag axel on it but realistically I rarely am overweight even though i have 32 inch sideboards and have if full to the brim most loads.

You have a 1979 1 ton dually that you haul 12000 lbs on???

The only thing about the 86 F350 dump(10') that I do not like is the extra height to the bed for loading. There are days when I take the F150 just because it will be easier. It does not look like much of a difference but it feels like it.

I do not own a trailer but next time around I will probably get a pickup and trailer. Dump is nice but I really do not use it as much as I thought I would.

IF you need the pickup as a daily driver then the trailer is probably better for you. I have had both and I run F550's exclusively now 4x4's. Trailer lights and brakes are a part time job to keep working correctly, and speaking from experience the DOT just love pickup and trailers, theres just more for them to check and more opportunity for them to get $$$ from you. IF your not on the road alot maybe this is not a concern but my stuff is on the road everyday and much less hassle with the 550's.

Back