Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pic today, but I DID split and stack the 3/4 cord of Tamarack I fetched last week Monday .... Should have about 3 cord now. I should really take measurements to figger out what I've really got there, it always seems like there's more when you look at it.

I have 25" Oak logs that I got from a Tree Service and wanted to ask you guys if I should cut the logs in half to 12"s or cut off 7" and have 18" firewood to stack better or 12" chunks for the chunk pile?
Why can't they cut 18' wood for me?:hmm3grin2orange:

I have the same problem! I cut to my normal size and then make a pile of the chunks!

So. I c/s/s a cord or so today, piled some loose bark on the burn pile where we had a bonfire Saturday. Apparently, there was one rogue coal in there. Came out a little after 8 and I found this. Impromptu bonfire! Looked at it as a way to have a few cold cocktails. And my sixteen year old daughter joined me. Had some very quality time visiting with her. And fathers of sixteen year old girls know how little that happens. Turned a catastrophe into a good thing! (How often does that happen) View attachment 309155

Waiting for access to finish up the locust grove I've been working on. Getting my daily PE exercise by an hour or two of manual splitting.

splittingarea_zps95ddc5d4.jpg

When that pile of rounds is finished (another day or two) the splitting area moves on to another pile. That batch of black locust is being stubborn, have to wedge/sledge the rounds in half first and then maul and Fiskars to finish. Pretty stringy so very few chunks come off with one dose of Fiskars.

Harry K

So. I c/s/s a cord or so today, piled some loose bark on the burn pile where we had a bonfire Saturday. Apparently, there was one rogue coal in there. Came out a little after 8 and I found this. Impromptu bonfire! Looked at it as a way to have a few cold cocktails. And my sixteen year old daughter joined me. Had some very quality time visiting with her. And fathers of sixteen year old girls know how little that happens. Turned a catastrophe into a good thing! (How often does that happen) View attachment 309155

Well done, take every opportunity you get. :msp_thumbup:

Waiting for access to finish up the locust grove I've been working on. Getting my daily PE exercise by an hour or two of manual splitting.

splittingarea_zps95ddc5d4.jpg

When that pile of rounds is finished (another day or two) the splitting area moves on to another pile. That batch of black locust is being stubborn, have to wedge/sledge the rounds in half first and then maul and Fiskars to finish. Pretty stringy so very few chunks come off with one dose of Fiskars.

Harry K

Love the hand cart ! My Grandad had an old wooden cart with wooden wheels to haul his wood, he'd go up the hill and come back with a cartfull of wood, all cut by hand, no power saw. He had one in the end, only because the kids bought it for him. Good memories from New Brunswick !

Just reread my post. I better say she joined me sitting at the fire, not drinking cocktails! Also, there was a meteor shower last night, that was cool! Never saw one before. Actually glad that stuff sparked now!

Just reread my post. I better say she joined me sitting at the fire, not drinking cocktails! Also, there was a meteor shower last night, that was cool! Never saw one before. Actually glad that stuff sparked now!

I'd bet very few that read it thought any differently. Cherish those moments as they pass all too quickly!

Love the hand cart ! My Grandad had an old wooden cart with wooden wheels to haul his wood, he'd go up the hill and come back with a cartfull of wood, all cut by hand, no power saw. He had one in the end, only because the kids bought it for him. Good memories from New Brunswick !

I built that from plans in Popular Mechanics or Popular Science back in the 80s. I t went out the back door of the manufacturing plant where I worked. Very handy but a bear to move if loaded heavy I use it mostly for cleanup around the piles now. In htat pic it is 1/2 ful of bark/chips from the splitting area almost full today and needs dumping on the fire pile...which is also way to big now and I will have to load it up to add to my neighbors pile :)

Harry K

I have 2 of them, the same. I would gladly trade ALL my wood, for 1 evening a month with that kind of moment.

The trucker that hauls our wood brought this home from the job for me. Makes it easier to cut up. I'd rather see it go as firewood than pulp. We sell quite a bit by the triaxle load.

Back