Problematic MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, nothing seemed to help this saw run right, not even another carb, including the solenoid and trigger unit. With those parts all replaced, it was clear that we weren't just dealing with a faulty part issue. So, I had the saw sent home.

The saw arrived this afternoon. I warmed the saw up so that I could experience this off idle bog for myself. I have never experienced it when I ran any 661. Sure enough, there it was.

I noticed that it only did it if left idle for a bit. I was convinced that it was fuel pooling in the intake boot. It didn't seem to be running so rich, just pooling up over time.

My first effort was to lower the needle height, thereby hoping to lean it out a bit. This didn't fix it, which is line with the idea that it's not actually running rich, but has a pooling issue.

Next, I thought I'd throw the bottom ring back in, just to eliminate the variable. This shouldn't have an affect like this, but I wanted to eliminate this variable. I was putting the cylinder back on and noticed that something didn't look right. I reached into the intake boot and noticed something that didn't feel right. What could it possible be? I grabbed a flashlight and here's what I saw.

1-L.jpg

Do you recognize what that is?!!! Remember those odd, large rubber washers that I found folded in half in the intake manifold of a 661? Well, here they are again, except I now know where they came from!

Here it is removed, a little deformed, proving that it's been out of place for some time.

2-L.jpg

So I look back in the boot and found that there was a second one in there, just like in the other 661.

3-L.jpg

So, where do these go and what are they for?

4-L.jpg

5-L.jpg

6-L.jpg

See that crack? That is the bellow. It's partially covered by a lip, coming forward like a funnel lip. The design here is to have a bellow to allow flex, but to fill it with these washer, and then cover it with this lip in order to prevent pooling. However, when you partially pull out one of those washers, you do exactly the opposite of what it's intended to do. It blocks flow and creates a pooling issue.

So, I took the bottom ring back off, put the rubber washers back in place, and put it back together. The issue appears to be gone! The real test will be to get it in some wood, but I fully believe the issue is fixed!

It would appear to me that Stihl has had to design around a pooling issue. In no other saw have I seen an intake boot made like this. Add to this, there is an unlisted, alternative intake boot that has no bellow at all. I had my dealer talk to their distributor, and they have one of these boots on order for me.

Do you think they came loos when you took the saw apart for porting? I'm a bit surprised you didn't checked the boot when you had the saw apart, as this was seen before. :omg: Anyway you found the problem and all is right. The question now becomes, will they come loose again? time will tell.:cheers:
I have looked for those washers since then. They're not visible! They're completely hidden inside the bellow and under that lip. Therefore, no one knew they were there to watch out for. I believe that I dislodged them when re-assembling the saw. I don't think they will come out under use, although I'm not convinced it might be possible with a ham-fisted operator.

Where the heck does that ring washer deal go??? Inside the rubber manifold??? I can't tell from pics???
Directly in the bellow of the intake boot.

Is that in the 661_IPL???
No they are not.

Looks like they fit in the expansion groove. Older models has an extended flap to cover the groove. Why they didn't do that on this saw? I don't know.
Correct. This intake has both.

I have looked for those washers since then. They're not visible! They're completely hidden inside the bellow and under that lip. Therefore, no one knew they were there to watch out for. I believe that I dislodged them when re-assembling the saw. I don't think they will come out under use, although I'm not convinced it might be possible with a ham-fisted operator.

Directly in the bellow of the intake boot.

No they are not.

Correct. This intake has both.

Okay got it.

So the boot does have the flap, odd that the washers would be necessary.

Interesting thread Brad, would be interested to hear from you after you check out the other listed intake boot elbow and play with it. lt would be nice to hear what the stihl engineers would say about this design and the reasons behind its 'difference' compared to other models. l bet there would be a little interesting story behind it.

Great job Brad !!!!!
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

So the boot does have the flap, odd that the washers would be necessary.

so, do I need to put them back in?

I think that washer (1144 141 2700) is deleted now...
Yeah, I really don't think they're needed, not with the way that lip covers the bellow. If they're not in there, they can't come out of place. If you don't have an off idle bog, you're good to go.

Were they able to get you a part number?
I don't yet. Hopefully I'll have it when it comes.

Brad my 661 has been a disasterpiece for the last 3 weeks. 2 solenoid's and finally they replaced the whole shootin match carb and all. It's running like a scalded dog now minus a stumble off idle sometimes. I think I'm going to pull the carb and look in the boot. I work the piss out of it everyday. It'll cut and top about 3 more trees to the tank than my 660s.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back