PS-5100 is it as good as an 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ralph;

First of all, I agree that they are not comparable saws.

Using cuttinscotts own weighting results for the 5100, and DLG/KWF ones for the 361, the weight differense is .3 kg (2/3 of a pound) for the empty powerhead, both with and without heated handles - but the 361 has larger tanks, and is more likely to be equipped with a heavier bar, and maybe larger dawgs.

According to all documentation I have seen, the 360 is a tad heavier, not lighter, than the 361......

try picking one up and seeing for yourself.
It sure would be nice if your opinions were grounded in actually using a saw. we all read spec sheets while sitting on the throne. when you get done taking a dump, take a few saws out and actually cut something with them.
then, perhaps, your opinons would be worth taking the time to read.
you get what you pay for, and product catalogs are free.....
-Ralph

great posts Ralph!

particuarly the part

"they are not a centerpiece at thanksgiving dinner and you can't make love to one"

and a definite yes to the "poor planning part...".

I do think the 361 is either the same or slightly lighter than the 360 though.. At one point I owned both but never did use them one in each hand :) Maybe I missed your point though..

Lots of misinformation on this thread either thru ignorance or outright malice.

the 5100 and the 361 are in 2 different classes. I never see anyone comparing the 5100 to the 260. there's a reason for that. so the next closest thing stihl makes that even comes close to the power of the 5100 is all the way up the the 60cc range. then someone is trying to tell me that there is no weight diff between the 5100 and the 361. well, I dont own (nor want to) a 361,
-Ralph

Ralph would you own a 361 in a box with a fox ?
or in a house with a mouse ?
Do you like them here or there ?
Do you like them anywhere ?:biggrinbounce2:

It sure would be nice if your opinions were grounded in actually using a saw. we all read spec sheets while sitting on the throne. when you get done taking a dump, take a few saws out and actually cut something with them.
-Ralph

Spec sheet and user feedback are both useful, it least I find them so. Of course there's the ignore function for those whose posts you don't feel are worth reading...

Ralph would you own a 361 in a box with a fox ?
or in a house with a mouse ?
Do you like them here or there ?
Do you like them anywhere ?:biggrinbounce2:

Manual, if I were a weekend firewood cutter and had only one saw, I'm sure the 361 would make me look like I had a bigger.... than my office mates with thier wildthings or craftsmans.
as far as owning many saws, and using them all day, day in and day out to make my living, I find the 36x series of stihl saws to be overpriced for no more than you get. for me the 36x series is a bucking saw for smaller wood while the big saws are blocking the logs. now for $550 I can buy a 60cc saw that is too slow for bucking logs, or I can buy a 7900 that is more than I need. having more than you need in a saw is a common arboristsite theme, is it not?
it's not that I have anything particularly against them per se, they just don't fit into the kit when you remove trees for a living. they are a firewood saw, no more, no less.
-Ralph

Spec sheet and user feedback are both useful, it least I find them so. Of course there's the ignore function for those whose posts you don't feel are worth reading...

Ralph is not afforded the option of ignore, he MUST read everyones posts. Although I am sure he would LOVE to ignore quite a few of us:D

-Ralph

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :D :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :rolleyes:
Had to rep you for the laugh today Ralph, Thanks LOL.

Manual, if I were a weekend firewood cutter and had only one saw, I'm sure the 361 would make me look like I had a bigger.... than my office mates with thier wildthings or craftsmans.
as far as owning many saws, and using them all day, day in and day out to make my living, I find the 36x series of stihl saws to be overpriced for no more than you get. for me the 36x series is a bucking saw for smaller wood while the big saws are blocking the logs. now for $550 I can buy a 60cc saw that is too slow for bucking logs, or I can buy a 7900 that is more than I need. having more than you need in a saw is a common arboristsite theme, is it not?
it's not that I have anything particularly against them per se, they just don't fit into the kit when you remove trees for a living. they are a firewood saw, no more, no less.
-Ralph

I must admit that Dolmar made a wise choice in cc classes.
Yes Stihl is getting out of hand with saw prices.
Lets take the 260 if they havent changed it in twenty years then why change the price ?
everybody wants a quality saw at a lower price and looks like Dolmar is filling the needs of the public.
BTW I don't own a Dolmar.

Sam I am.

Lets take the 260 if they havent changed it in twenty years then why change the price ?
everybody wants a quality saw at a lower price and looks like Dolmar is filling the needs of the public.

Sam I am.

Good point Manual,
Shot you a bonus rep.

Sam I am.

Good ol' Dr. Seuss...

All I know if you show up to a gtg with a Dolmar 5100S it runs in the 0-50.9cc class and the Stihl MS361 run in the 0-60cc class.
Why everyone keeps comparing the two saws in the same class is beyond me.
As a homeowner cutting wood under 18" I would see no problem with owning either saw for its purpose.
Like most say here, If you need dealer support and money sometimes is a issue in the purchase you just have to buy what works for you. I have ran them both stock now and they both cut wood :D .
I just dont think they should be listed in the same grouping of saws. If i was buying new 50cc saw 5100, if I was buying new 60cc saw Grrrrr dont want to say it, but if buying new 361.
But if money is a issue, like it is for most homeowners, I have no problems saving a couple hundred bucks and buying the Husky 359 for the 60cc class and yes I have run the 359 and 357 also. Hands on cutting in wood, no arm chair specs.

Last edited:
Lots of misinformation on this thread either thru ignorance or outright malice.

the 5100 and the 361 are in 2 different classes. I never see anyone comparing the 5100 to the 260. there's a reason for that. so the next closest thing stihl makes that even comes close to the power of the 5100 is all the way up the the 60cc range. then someone is trying to tell me that there is no weight diff between the 5100 and the 361. well, I dont own (nor want to) a 361, but I own a 360 pro and the 5100 is much lighter than it is, and we all know that stihl added an extra brick to the 360 when they made the 361. so if the 361 is heavier than the 360 and the 360 is heavier than the 5100, how the hell does the 5100 and the 361 weigh the same? (you will be graded)
I also see (as usual) that the loudest detractors of the 5100 have never picked one up, much less ran one.

maybe its just me. I buy saws to work with. they are a tool. they are not an investment property, they are not a centerpiece at thanksgiving dinner and you can't make love to one. if I get 2 years out of a saw, I have made my money back 20x over at least. If I need a part, I go get it or go pay for it and have it dropped shipped. as I own more saws than I really need, a short wait does not affect me. FWIW, the saws I have parts drop shipped for are stihls. they have racks of parts, yet never any that I need.
I guess if I laid around until I was out of wood and freezing, and I only owned one saw, then a wait for parts would bother me more. but in my case, I would be waiting on a part for a stihl.

remember, an emergency from lack of planning or abuse on your part does not constitute an emergency on the saw manufacturer's part. the parts are available for all brands.
-Ralph

Excellent Post

The people that are always inquiring on here on which models to buy aren't using a saw to make a living. There priorities are and should be completely different. A Homeowner's saw is more of an investment then a disposable tool like it is in your line of work. In 10 years, you really don't care if there is still a part available or a person locally that can work on it because you have already bought a saw to replace it. A homeowner needs that sense of insurance a lot more imo. Eventhough a 60cc saw isn't a good fit for you, I think they are a good fit for a homeowner trying to rely on one saw.

the 5100 is a great saw for my use,cutting tops for firewood after loggers.
I am not lacking power cutting what I'm cutting and the saw is light and vibration free.
361 is a different class of saw,how about we compare a 6400 dolmar to a 361.
does the 6400 come in heavy compared to the 361??

3 different saws

I'm a homeowner cutter/small time logger. My requirements are reliability, good handling and vb damping, easy to clean filters and chain covers, solid feel. I like it if the tanks are easy to fill and run out at the same time, and hold enough so I'm ready for a short break when they are empty.
I have a Husky 41 10yrs old, a 5100 10 weeks old, and a Jonsereds 80 35 years old. The Husky is a consumer saw, and feels it (slightly sloppy) but starts and runs every time, nice and light. The 41 has a very local good dealer, is cheap to run, never needs parts but I can get them on order (it's 10 years old).
The 80 is heavy for me, decent power, solid, and dead reliable. It's old now, the dealers have changed several times, but it never needs parts, so I don't care.
The 5100 has decent power (only 4 tanks so far), is very smooth, and just feels like a very together mechanical device. It starts very good cold or warm, throttle is very responsive (others have had trouble with this). It's compact but works hard. The 5100 dealer is 10 minutes away, been there 20 years, untested by me.
I probably would have been happy with a 353 (my other choice) AND I'm very happy with the 5100. Try 'em both in your hands and see how they feel.
At the end of the day, you're still tired and you've cut a bunch of wood and you still just hope your saw (or pickup, or nail gun) is ready next time out.
Jim

The 7900 is actually in the same price range almost and just a touch more weight but its almost 2 horse more...The 6400 is about a lb more and like .4 horse more but much less money..

Back