Purchasing a firewood saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary in MD

Reaction score
Struggling to make my mind up, as there are so many good saws out there in the price range I'm looking at! I'm looking for durable and reliable 60cc saw in the $500 - $700 range. The saw would be used to cut approximately 10 - 12 hardwood cords a year for personal use. The majority of the wood that I cut is under 20" diameter.

After reading tons of posts on here I've narrowed it down to the Husky 555 or 562xp (I have 2 good Husky dealers within 1/2 hour from me). The 562xp is very appealing given its power-to-weight; however, I don't like that it has only a 6 month warranty and is $125 more than the 555. I've decided to go with the 555, which I can pick up for $575 - $600 and apparently has a 2 year warranty. I just can't seem to justify the extra $125 or so for the 0.5 hp and 1.5 year less warranty.

To those of you that have ran both, do you think it is worth spending the extra money (and obtaining a shorter warranty) on the 562xp for what I intend to use it for? Thanks, Gary

I picked the 555 over a 346xp, which I know isn't the same comparison you're making, but for me it was $90 bucks more for another 1.5 years of warranty, with some additional power and weight.

Warranty made the choice for me.

I moved up from a 445, the first few times out with it my arms felt the extra weight, but it took me half the cutting time that it used to, that pays for the saw right there IMO. No going back now.

I just need to make the leap into MM territory, but that kinda throws the warranty out the window doesn't it?

Honestly, $125 seems like a lot in the beginning. But when you get another bar, 4 more chains, oil, premium gas and so on, about 5 years from now the total expense is STILL separated by $125. In other words the ratio gets lower. You spend $650 now vs $775. But 5 years from now, it's $1000 vs $1125. So $125 becomes less of a big deal over time.

FWIW my neighbor has a 359 and it's a screamer. Less HP than than the 555 and if the 555 is that much better, I would prefer it because I really like the weight of the 359/555/357xp. Point being, you should go with what feels best in your hands. Preferably trying them, although I know not all dealers do that.

Of course, if the weight or cost isn't an issue, you can't go wrong with more power. It costs less over time...

Last edited:
Gary

Welcome to AS!

What other saws do you own?

Do you work on your own equipment? If not, I'd lean towards the longer warranty.

You know....if you can wait....you might want to attend a Get ToGether (GTG) if one is in your area. There you should have a chance to run a whole several different saws.

Also....many AS members are in the saw repair 'business' and have saws for sale in the Trading Post here on AS....something to check out.

The 555 could possibly be the best firewood saw on the market right now.

I went with the 562xp, because I'm a power nut and the warranty means nothing, never needed one.

That said, the 346xp is still my favorite firewood saw of all time! :msp_smile:

Its something that most AS members VOID within 24hrs of purchase

Couldn't have said it any better ;)

Both saws I bought this year didn't last two weeks (I know I'm slipping; sorry :dizzy: ) before I did something to them :)

If you like Husky's get a good used 372XP. Dealer will service it, they are very reliable, and there is a huge parts stream. You should be able to find one for under $500. This saw is pretty light and should be able to handle any tree you want to cut down.

If you like Husky's get a good used 372XP. Dealer will service it, they are very reliable, and there is a huge parts stream. You should be able to find one for under $500. This saw is pretty light and should be able to handle any tree you want to cut down.

I agree 70cc or bigger is where it is at. If you like Huskys get a 372XP and don't look back. If you feel the need for a smaller saw buy a used Husky 345 or 350 to compliment it. I do not use my 5100 anymore unless it is all small stuff or limbing. I think the mistake most people make is getting too small of a saw to start with.

I think the 365xt is a deal for all them cc's, parts are cheap and I bet not much goes wrong anyway!

I agree 70cc or bigger is where it is at. If you like Huskys get a 372XP and don't look back. If you feel the need for a smaller saw buy a used Husky 345 or 350 to compliment it. I do not use my 5100 anymore unless it is all small stuff or limbing. I think the mistake most people make is getting too small of a saw to start with.

Yea... I think you need to get rid of that junky old 5100....
To a fellow AS member...
An stuff....

Back