Real.... Or...fake???>>>>>>>

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have successfully submitted a report.

We appreciate you taking the time to file this report. eBay will investigate to determine resolution.

I couldn't stand it anymore, some poor schmuck has a 500.00 bid on it.

You have successfully submitted a report.

We appreciate you taking the time to file this report. eBay will investigate to determine resolution.

I couldn't stand it anymore, some poor schmuck has a 500.00 bid on it.

maybe he set it up to get the price higher; yet again maybe not...

I took a quick look just before leaving for work this morning, seen 16 things in a couple of mins that aren`t OEM,some of these may have already been posted by now.
1, OEM chain catcher missing.
2, Phillips head screws holding the AV mounts.
3, Flat head slotted screws usually hold the front handle to the fuel tank extension lower front/bottom.
4, Rear handle where it joins the fueltank on the bottom has no cross webbing.
5, Fuel tank seam is welded not joined as OEM.
6, Oil tank cap is incorrect.
7, Grille on the muffler is wrong.
8, Aftermarket felling dawgs, no chain catcher.
9, Pull cord handle appears to be hollow, not OEM.
10, The hole for the heated handle switch is missing the OEM plug.
11, There is a rectangle below where the front top handle joins the fuel tank, there should be a circle in it with the build date indicated.
12, The recess between the carb adjusters and the rear handle is not correct.
13, Decal for the master control switch on airfilter cover is a poor copy, not OEM.
14, The top decal is not correct for the magnum, the badge would have the 038 AV Magnum on it, not the magnum decal separate.
15, Many of the screws appear to be other than T27
16, What is the black circle or hole in the top engine shroud on the clutch side showing just above the slope of the front handle.

While I agree it is fake, I disagree with 6 and 14. I have a few 038 mag parts saws at work and they have those items you say are wrong.

Either way, that copy is getting pretty close to the real thing looks wise. Scary.....

While I agree it is fake, I disagree with 6 and 14. I have a few 038 mag parts saws at work and they have those items you say are wrong.

Either way, that copy is getting pretty close to the real thing looks wise. Scary.....

There are always a few discrepencies that could be overlooked , covers are easily swapped or replaced, the 038 magnum had the lower flatter tank covers like the one on the rear fuel tank of this saw, the front oil cap and rear fuel cap don`t match so I disagree with you.
Decals are another thing all together, badges can be changed and decals applied or removed, I just have not seen an 038 Magnum with the black Magnum decal separate from the top badge, show me a factory saw with one and I will then say I have seen one.

The newer 038s that had the plain 038 badge had the magnum sticker above them I believe. Like this one.
IMAG0131.jpg

[snip]
Do they still sell new 038's across the pond? Why would they fake a NLA saw.
[snip]

[snip]

Nah we are only one saw model behind you guys as a rule but generally only for a short period. Australia has only "just" sold out of the MS260's and has started selling the 261's.

[snip]

Well, we sort of do, it's the MS381and is sold alongside the 441 but about $500 cheaper.
Made in Brazil. http://www.stihl.com.au/Products/product.cfm?iModelID=529

Matt you've seen it, didn't your cousin or BIL buy one a few years back ?

Last edited:
Yeah I was actually joking about the rubber band. I'll be using duct tape. In about 10 hours time this will be reality (7:20am here on the 24th March).

This could well be the video of the year. I've had a couple of saws grenade on me, usually for running them well past when they should have been junked, but I've never seen one blown up on purpose.

Looking forward to the video.

You're gonna hook a tach up to that chi-com 038 so we know how many rpm's it turning over before it explodes, right MCW? :)

Yep. Gonna set up a seperate camera on the tacho.

I will admit i don't have any first hand experience with fake saws/accessories... at least i hope i haven't. I should have put "heard of" instead of "known" previously. How do you know the fake ones were infact fake then?

I know they were fake because they came from the same supplier that the 038 came from. I didn't pay for them, they sent them to me to play with hoping I'd buy more. I didn't and I won't.

Well, we sort of do, it's the MS381and is sold alongside the 441 but about $500 cheaper.
Made in Brazil. STIHL - MS 381

Matt you've seen it, didn't your cousin or BIL buy one a few years back ?

Yeah he did buy a MS381 mate and I know they're basically the same as the 038/380 but it's not an 038. It's actually an OK runner but alongside something like the 7900 there is no comparo. The idiot paid something like USD$1350 for it as well plus $60 for each Stihl chain he bought...

OP: my gut says it's an authentic Stihl sloppily rebuilt with Bailey's parts and passed off as original. Oh, and the inner/outer forward AV bushing covers are on backwards. I don't know a way to tell what's inside with the cosmetics applied like that. My guess? 038AV, worn out, $100 worth of parts. Look at that bid price. Thievery.

Pull the sellers feedback up on ebay and look at what he has been buying..........038 parts out the ass. Not fake unless you count aftermarket parts. So his story is pure BS

OP: my gut says it's an authentic Stihl sloppily rebuilt with Bailey's parts and passed off as original. Oh, and the inner/outer forward AV bushing covers are on backwards. I don't know a way to tell what's inside with the cosmetics applied like that. My guess? 038AV, worn out, $100 worth of parts. Look at that bid price. Thievery.

I think your very very close

Lmao!!!

well, well, well...

:laugh: :angry: looks like we've been selling a FEW saws of varying junk-ness for a while..

check out this one with the 'Firefighter tank-plate' :laugh:

stihl 038 magnum chainsaw - eBay (item 290533219339 end time Feb-12-11 20:07:09 PST)

Or this FINE specimen:

Stihl 038 AV magnum 2 Chainsaw - eBay (item 290528411161 end time Jan-31-11 19:09:07 PST)

Best part is,.... the RECOIL badge!! :laugh::rock:

he sold another 038 a while back that wasn't running right for the guy, but the auction was too old, and I couldn't view...

here's the tank

that's a real Stihl saw built from spare parts and or ebay parts and some good ole stihl spray paint, nothing more than I've seen many here do, tear one down repaint it, add a few new parts and sell it for profit...

Last edited:
I took a quick look just before leaving for work this morning, seen 16 things in a couple of mins that aren`t OEM,some of these may have already been posted by now.
1, OEM chain catcher missing.
2, Phillips head screws holding the AV mounts.
3, Flat head slotted screws usually hold the front handle to the fuel tank extension lower front/bottom.
4, Rear handle where it joins the fueltank on the bottom has no cross webbing.
5, Fuel tank seam is welded not joined as OEM.
6, Oil tank cap is incorrect.
7, Grille on the muffler is wrong.
8, Aftermarket felling dawgs, no chain catcher.
9, Pull cord handle appears to be hollow, not OEM.
10, The hole for the heated handle switch is missing the OEM plug.
11, There is a rectangle below where the front top handle joins the fuel tank, there should be a circle in it with the build date indicated.
12, The recess between the carb adjusters and the rear handle is not correct.
13, Decal for the master control switch on airfilter cover is a poor copy, not OEM.
14, The top decal is not correct for the magnum, the badge would have the 038 AV Magnum on it, not the magnum decal separate.
15, Many of the screws appear to be other than T27
16, What is the black circle or hole in the top engine shroud on the clutch side showing just above the slope of the front handle.

Isnt that hole in the top cover above the slope of the handle for the rubber grommet and square headed screw with a slot in to hold the cover in place?

Latest posts

Back