Replace my Stihl 361 with a Husky 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troll, I've been spoiled by running tanks most of my life, 028's, 032's 038's for thirty + years, I thought the 361 was built cheaply when I bought it, it has held up for two years under extremely heavy use, it's already cut more than most saws will see in a life time. The 346xpne is built case wise even lighter than the 361, it's kind of feels like a toy, despite it's stellar performance. As an old guy, give me a 361 and 346 and I'll go the woods to cut firewood with anyone, at least in our type of woods, which I don't see being much different from Ohio, we're topographically prolly more challenging. Don't know how those flatlander's, with yankee accents would hold up down here in the Ozark Mountians, hills and hollers with there ball and chain man saws. Gotta remember a 25" bar is a monster on a 660 here, your a freak of nature with a 32". Most have one leg longer than the other from standing on the steep hill sides.lol Then there are those of us that they call Tripod.hehe

Hello! Feels like a toy, but stellar performance, sounds good to me! :cheers:

Sometimes I wish it was a bit flatter in my woodlot, not because of my age, but because of my more or less destroyed ancle.......:censored:

Surprised to see all the opinions that a 346xp can replace an MS361. I have both and would say no, not for the hardwoods I cut. If you are consistently over-sawed with what you cut, you'll like the lighter weight. I'd suggest saving until you don't HAVE to sell the 361, then selling it if you find you don't use it anymore.

Jack

Surprised to see all the opinions that a 346xp can replace an MS361. I have both and would say no, not for the hardwoods I cut. If you are consistently over-sawed with what you cut, you'll like the lighter weight. I'd suggest saving until you don't HAVE to sell the 361, then selling it if you find you don't use it anymore.

Jack

Outstanding advice, rep sent!

Jack

Is your 346 the 50cc?
:cheers:

I agree with SawTroll about the weight of the saws. The 440 and 372 are more like 13.7 and 14.1 pounds respectively. Not that it really matters in real world applications, but for the sake of comparison they should be accurate. In my own experience, at lot less than most here, I agree with Indiansprings on the use of a 60cc saw for firewood. I purchased my 372 for felling and bigger wood but I still use my 357xp with an 18" bar way more. I really only use the 372 for felling those larger fencerow trees and once in awhile just for kicks, but for all day use I am reaching for the 357xp. I don't really see the 60cc saw as a 'bastard' saw that some characterize it as. If you are cutting firewood it is hard to beat even if you have other saws:)

Tim

I do agree with you Tim, a 60cc saw is great for firewood cutting....if it's a one saw plan. He's looking for a second saw to a 7900 though and I think the 361 is too close to the same weight and performance unless your in big wood. I use my 2153 for almost everything under 18" and then some. The 288 only comes out for bucking up the trunks and felling larger trees. Sure there is a difference in cutting times, but in the woods cutting firewood it doesn't matter that much to me. I plan on going to my property with my father this weekend to plant some trees but I'll be taking along just one saw. It will not be the 262XP or the 288XP....

Mike

huh,maybe my 036 was just a pos!

Heh, this is one instance where it would be helpful to see a list of saws in a sig, to see what you're used to. I've never owned an 036 so I don't know how it compares to a 361, but I didn't think my 361 was all that at first. I was irritated at its finicky idle, felt like it was decent enough with power but nothing to write home about. But my firewood spot at the moment is almost all oak, tops and culls all the way up to 40", and the 361 lets me cut longer than the 246xp before I go back to the truck for a bigger saw, without being too big or heavy. I'm not arguing with somebody who says his 346xp will outcut, a MS361 in 12" wood, I'm just saying what works for me, wading into a big pile of oak tops. I messed around out there with different saws quite a bit in the winter, trying this and that and using all my saws, but now that it's getting hotter I want to get wood bucked up and on the truck, no fooling around. I keep thinking, maybe I should take the 372xp out today, or maybe I should take the 346xp instead of the MS361, but somehow I always wind up taking the 361 and the 660. Go figure.

Jack

I think I said this before but sell the 630 and 021. Keep the 361 and add a MS211. You have the 3 saw plan covered. 211 for limbs, 361 for firewood and a all around good sized saw, the 7900 for all your bigger jobs. If your 361 doesn't have a muff mod, try one and see if you want to sell it then.;)

I sold a mint 361 and regret it. I now have a decent one again and won't be getting rid of it. Stock they are a bit over hyped, a muff mod really wakes them up.:cheers:

Heh, this is one instance where it would be helpful to see a list of saws in a sig, to see what you're used to. I've never owned an 036 so I don't know how it compares to a 361, but I didn't think my 361 was all that at first. I was irritated at its finicky idle, felt like it was decent enough with power but nothing to write home about. But my firewood spot at the moment is almost all oak, tops and culls all the way up to 40", and the 361 lets me cut longer than the 246xp before I go back to the truck for a bigger saw, without being too big or heavy. I'm not arguing with somebody who says his 346xp will outcut, a MS361 in 12" wood, I'm just saying what works for me, wading into a big pile of oak tops. I messed around out there with different saws quite a bit in the winter, trying this and that and using all my saws, but now that it's getting hotter I want to get wood bucked up and on the truck, no fooling around. I keep thinking, maybe I should take the 372xp out today, or maybe I should take the 346xp instead of the MS361, but somehow I always wind up taking the 361 and the 660. Go figure.

Jack

It's all what feels right to you and your situation.I guess for me at the time I had the 036 I had a 026 and a 440. I was either grabbing the 026 or the 440. Now I have the 346 and it cuts alot better than my at the time stock 026.I agree if their is a pile of Big rounds laying there I'll be grabbing something with some cc's!:chainsaw:

Quote:
I do agree with you Tim, a 60cc saw is great for firewood cutting....if it's a one saw plan. He's looking for a second saw to a 7900 though and I think the 361 is too close to the same weight and performance unless your in big wood. I use my 2153 for almost everything under 18" and then some. The 288 only comes out for bucking up the trunks and felling larger trees. Sure there is a difference in cutting times, but in the woods cutting firewood it doesn't matter that much to me. I plan on going to my property with my father this weekend to plant some trees but I'll be taking along just one saw. It will not be the 262XP or the 288XP....

Mike

Good point Mike--I guess I kind of got side track from the OP's situation. Hey is the 262xp not getting any love? I could take it off your hands--if its just an in between saw you'll never miss it hehehe!

I guess I still don't know how to do that proper quoting thing yet

Tim

Last edited:
as i said in an earlier post, if a stock 361 fills the bill for you, a MM346NE will likely make you just as happy. any small amount lost in power for larger wood (where he has a 7900) will be offset in with a lighter weight and better handling. a stock 346 or a MM361 changes the equation.

Good point Mike--I guess I kind of got side track from the OP's situation. Hey is the 262xp not getting any love? I could take it off your hands--if its just an in between saw you'll never miss it hehehe!

I guess I still don't know how to do that proper quoting thing yet

Tim

As weird as it sounds, that would be the last saw I would ever get rid of....well, I guess that would be a one saw plan then.

Mike

whatever you do dont do it to look cool to the guys on ass , i think this is why alot of guys on here have a 361 to look cool and fitin

handle the 346 handle your 361 and make the decision for youself

I think I said this before but sell the 630 and 021. Keep the 361 and add a MS211. You have the 3 saw plan covered. 211 for limbs, 361 for firewood and a all around good sized saw, the 7900 for all your bigger jobs. If your 361 doesn't have a muff mod, try one and see if you want to sell it then.;)

I sold a mint 361 and regret it. I now have a decent one again and won't be getting rid of it. Stock they are a bit over hyped, a muff mod really wakes them up.:cheers:

^What he said! Muffler mod that thing and see how you like it. If you dont want it after that, then you can just send her back to me :D.

I have both the MS 361 and the 346 XP and they are both great saws. I grab the 346 XP more because of the light weight, but I would not consider replacing my MS 361 with it. I have modded both mufflers and to me they are two very different saws in two different classes.

I agree completely. The 346xp is as good as 50cc gets. If ur gunna just limb, clean stuff less than 12" and use the 7900 for the rest, 346 is great. A 346 is just not gunna buck 16-18" wood like the 361. The 346 is a great saw, but it was not designed to be the 357/361. Two different classes of saws. The 346 is significantly nimbler than the 361 (even more pronounced than the weights would indicate) and just as much fun to run, but does not have the full bar bucking power that the 361 does. The 346 is a very great compliment to a 70-80cc saw but is not and never will be a 60cc saw.

It looks like all MS361s are not created the same - mine has about same throttle response as the 346xp, and is the only other saw I have used that do......:)

Agreed also, I feel the two are about the same in this reguard as well.

Well after all this reading I'm just on the fence as ever!:dizzy::dizzy:

No not really. As long as I get a good price for the 361 I'm going to buy a 346xp. What most forget from my original post is that I have a great condition Jred 630 that performs on the same level as the 361. It's 25 years older but its that amazing to me that it weighs ounces more and has equal power(and more torque!). So its not as if I'm giving up on my only 60cc saw. Now when the coil goes out in a week or two and I can't find a replacement part, yep then I'm going to hate getting rid of the 361! :cry:

(Ah,what a man will do for his wife and children!) All in good fun!

Latest posts

Back