Root-Ball Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbeystump

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I lost my tree 2 weeks ago and as its a insurance job I am up to my 3rd company!The first x2 wanted to use a crane but there is not enough reach.This weeks company turned up with a water blaster and quoted x4 days work to remove root-ball stump and trunk up to fence line.(8feet) They gave up after a few hours.They quoted $10,000 and now claim they have under quoted and have never done a root-ball like this ! Also the job has no machine access so all timber has to be walked out!

029.JPG 059.JPG

You need to find the right people. We have craned bobcats & grinders into rear yards with no access. It may be cost effective to make access in your case, moving walls, fences, decks etc. can be cheaper than working around them. Is your insurance going to pay for the stump work?

It's all about the access. You can always get a bigger crane if reach is an issue. Assuming you will also be taking the tree out? If so, then whatever method you use for the tree will work for the stump. If you get skidders in then use them on the root ball too. Sometimes you can get the root ball to flop back in the hole, then it can be ground just like normal. You want a big grinder though. I've done a couple that way. Often times they've fallen on a house, we get a bigger than normal crane in and lift the tree off in sections, then lift the stump grinder into the back with the crane if access is tight.

I notice you're in aus, and with a name like abbey stump is this your own job, or your own house? I've done some stumps this size in sydney with an sc85

I agree it is all about access.40 metre crane distance with power lines to content with.That idea was dismissed.Only access is side of house 1m wide .So cutting up and hand trolley is only option.I don't want the rootball put back into the hole so only option is to chip away at the rootball manually until the clay goes into the hole and the roots cut and take away.The trees have also take out 40 m of D6 fence sheets so the cry of ASBESTOS is being echoed on site.
As for abbeystump YES that's my user name as I have a couple of small grinders although used part time now.I own the property so it is the insurance paying and organizing the work!!
Stump
Ive never seen a skidder before but with access that looks the way to go!

Only if it can get through this gate.Even with the rainwater tanks removed you only have a metre
(3 feet). I think the tree guys have hand balled the root ball to a demolition crew.So I expect jack hammers and cutting the roots bit by bit. To complicate the job a bit more the sewage pipe easement has been ripped up at the fence line so all the raw sewage and water is coming out on my neighbours side and cant be fixed untill both trees are done!!!
:chop:
037.JPG
025.JPG

Only if it can get through this gate.Even with the rainwater tanks removed you only have a metre
(3 feet). I think the tree guys have hand balled the root ball to a demolition crew.So I expect jack hammers and cutting the roots bit by bit. To complicate the job a bit more the sewage pipe easement has been ripped up at the fence line so all the raw sewage and water is coming out on my neighbours side and cant be fixed untill both trees are done!!!
:chop:
View attachment 334973
View attachment 334974

uh oh well that kaboshed that idea.

hmmm a really good pressure washer and a carbide chain on a chainsaw kinda seems like the best bet.. maybe

yes true tungsten chain should sort thou avoid the water as just turns it all to goo

I use Tungsten chain on roots a lot and yes it could work well here to break the ball down to handable chunks
you'd need about 3 loops Stihl RD chain on hand to get the job done and these are about $180/200 each plus a hard nose bar $150 and a big old saw that you careless for as the task chews the saw hard as well

then once cut to ground winch it over continue to cut up or just bury under a landscape feature

Its in Adelaide! We had a few weeks with 3-4 days at a time over 40c.The root ball was dry as a bone.The unusual gully wind the night the tree come down gave the SES 70% of a years work in one day.This tree would have been like a Giant Sail and finally gave way!!

Its in Adelaide! We had a few weeks with 3-4 days at a time over 40c.The root ball was dry as a bone.The unusual gully wind the night the tree come down gave the SES 70% of a years work in one day.This tree would have been like a Giant Sail and finally gave way!!

ok ta yes i been busy with that heat and then we had 3 days of SE wind in Vic

heres a few pic of wot you can achieve with Tungsten Stihl Rd chain I blasted apart a similar but smaller wind thrown root ball weeks back
loose dirt dont worry it for way much longer than you'd think & if dirt dry its better

RIMG0150.JPG RIMG1233.JPG RIMG0680.JPG

Man 10,000 . The tree it self a little pain, but no big deal. And the stump, put 2 guys at it for a day or 2 with an ax. Hard work but for 10 grand I would do it.

Small grinder like a 1625 Super Jr would get that done. Starting with picks getting the dirt off the ball and packing in a place for the grinder to get going. $10k I'd get that done no problem.

I would go down To my stihl dealer and get a concreet chainsaw, 1700$ but I would love a reason to get one , check this bad boy out it would rip that stump apart.http://www.stihlusa.com/products/concrete-cutters/professional-concrete-cutters/gs461/

I've used one in the past. That won't do a lick of good in wood. The segments are all diamond coated, fine diamond coated and it works on concrete as an abrasive. It won't cut roots or wood very well. Try cutting a board with a concrete blade in a circular saw. Same idea. 10K? I know three guys that would love the opportunity but it's a BIT out of my range.

Back