Saws that surprise the hell out of you.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have to say the little huskie 36,, once i got it running right it surprised the heck out of me for a 36cc saw

I'm going to add another couple to the list. Pro mac 700, not too heavy, cuts like crazy. It is loud and vibrates a lot. The other is a Sachs Dolmar 143. Not a high rever but lots of torque and pretty smooth AV

My latest favorite is the Husky 154SE. You don't here much about them, but squish set and MM'd they are right one the heels of a strong 262, with even better throttle response. Also the Husky 240SE, that little saw has more torque than I thought possible with 40cc. Not very light for its size though.

First was a Poulan 245A. Just a cutting machine in a fairly small package.

Next, 346xp bought new in 2001. Still the saw I usually take to the woods.

Lately, a Stump broke 365 XPW, enough said! :D

I don't have all that much experience with all the various thousands of saws out there, but I'd have to agree on the 245A, freekin cuttin machine! La Bomba!

first time i used a 3120xp with a 4 foot bar i was shocked that something in this small of a package can pull such a long bar at 10,500 rpms!! :rock:

5000 plus partner. It doesn't know it's only 50cc's. My neighbor has a 575xp, he started talking trash out at the woodpile one day so we set up a couple of sticks.:D

He beat me, but I scared him. He still talks about that little saw.

My old homeliest super XL ran like a scalded dog....as did my XL 925....it had almost 200psi of compression ...what torque and a beautiful sound as it ripped thru wood...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Poulan 3000 and its Craftsman clone. Super reliable, easy to start and easy to work on. I bought the gray Craftsman version in 1985 and its cut miles of wood through the years. Just replaced all the fuel/ impulse lines and it still starts like new. I had a 2800 and could kick myself for selling it. Second vote goes to the Olympic 945. Heavy for a 45cc but they just keep cutting. Very torquee for 45 cc's. Thats the reason I sold my 2800 Poulan. Third goes to my 2150 Jonsered. I just bought a 2152 J=Red and am now wondering why. Hey at least I got a good deal on it.

echo 3400, All I heard is they were underpowered and junk, bought it used for 65 bucks, used it as a bucket saw for two yrs, mm and it had all the power I ever needed. Had alot of people say that saw sounds mean up in that tree, and it did

Well let's see,

Poulan S25DA
Homelite-XL101
Makita DCS-401
Poulan Pro 325
Dolmar 6400
Stihl 009L
Skil 1690
Poulan 3000

They all run a lot better than you would think.

Mike
i gotta agree with the s25d and i have a p3300, that just rips, i use it more than any other for firewood... i just got a craftsman 3.3, its younger brother, out of the trash bin at my buddies shop,,, cleaned it, m/m, and its in teh rotation....
i have a cheap homelite 240 with a m/m that is a surprise also...

In my limited experience;
After unplugging the muffler, fixing the fuel line issue, and adjusting the carb, my Ryobi gets the vote for most impressive cheap saw. Granted, I wanted to throw it in the burn barrel with the trash before I tinkered with it. Now she's a 40cc ripper that will bury the 16" bar and sip fuel while doing it. It has rather impressive torque for such a small motor.

If it weren't for the Ryobi, I probably wouldn't have gotten into cutting wood in the first place. I remember offering to help a friend cut some firewood for his house and I took my little saw along. Since then there's been saw chips in my boots and fuel mix stains on my clothes.

Back