Saws that surprised you...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My little stihl 009l has impressed me so far,now that I got the thing to oil. I love it for limbing. Would love a ms200t.someday.

It's the blue goo.
:laughing: I remember that dumbass on the old AS.
IMG_1178_zps0d1c3bb1.jpg

For me there is two that have impressed me. First is my dad's 044 that he bought new somewhere around 91 or 92. That thing has impressed me for years and years -great running saw that has seen a lot of cutting even though my dad wasn't a logger. Still runs like new.
The other is my new dolmar 421. Very surprising little saw and it's still stock. I love that saw so far.

I have a feeling my first ported saw will soon be added to this list!

I am prepared to be flamed.

Echo CS500-P.

I can't describe why I am impressed by it so much, but I am. It is most certainly not the fastest, but its also not the slowest. It's just a cutting little sonofagun. It might be build quality, definitely feels tight and solid.

image.jpg image.jpg

Echo CS 520. I bought one at an auction bundled with a Jonsered 670. I is a dead heat with my 346 ne.

See this thread for a race in the same log using the same bar and chain.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/index.php?threads/265333/
346xp vs. Echo CS-520

The 346 is currently at Mastermind's place for a little rest and relaxation.

Take care,
Phill

The saw that truly surprised me more than any other was a 346xp ported by Dean at Washington Hot Saw. That little #### screamed! Put a smile on my face like I thought only my CR250RT could! I'd have one built for myself exept it was so much fun to run I'm afraid I'd bring home a trailer full of cookies rather than rounds!

Of course then I wouldn't have to split them.... wait.. I might be on to something here... :drinkingcoffee:

Most disappointing had to be Jonsered 2055,much ado about nothing. Screaming worthless piece of garbage ! Didn't care for Husqvarna 262 either,worked great but always felt center heavy.
Most impressive would be my first 372xpg and my first ms 261 both great saws.

There are three saws that REALLY exceeded my expectations. I traded for an 025 with an aftermarket piston and cylinder. Saw had a stock muffler and it flat out cut. I kick myself for not checking the timing numbers before I sold it. Had a Husqvarna 51 with the regular open port cylinder and an OEM base gasket. The saw pulled a 3/8 chain really well. The third and most surprising of all, was a Husqvarna 136 that I muffler modded. Not overly impressive but it exceeded my
expectations by a long shot

My 120 Super impressed me so much I became a Dolmar junkie:crazy:

First to impress me: Homelite SXL-AO. It was the first real chainsaw I ever used. Had just gone to work for a rental/sales company and that's what we had in the fleet at the time. Powerful and plenty of torque but heavy. Last one Efco's 132s. Has two left when I closed up and was going to sell both. Had a tree get hit by lightning and decided to use the smaller and lighter 132 instead of the 152 I would normally have drug out. Four pickup loads later never had to touch the chain to either sharpen or adjust. Still throwing chips. Now, I look for excuses to bring out the little saw.

the 025 impressed me because it shouldn't run that good.

262 disappointed me

372 impressed and the 044 but in a different way.

Back