Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I havenā€™t been around for awhile guys. The holidays kept me busy then I was hospitalized for kidney stones, donā€™t recommend those at all. Anyway, I scrounged a small amount of what looks kinda like maple (bark) and ash (wood) not sure what it is. Curious if you guys had an opinion.
38BABE0A-3BC8-4595-B1BB-17C58B8B5894.jpeg40D01CC3-E490-4EE5-856F-9D08ADE1B7B8.jpeg855B0901-C55B-4456-AEC4-9E906D7BAC42.jpegDD747724-DE8B-48BD-8194-ADC54C37876F.jpeg

There is an exclusive ash mill several towns to the north that makes handles for Tru Value. They have specific specs for ash logs for baseball bats and pay more for such logs. And I suppose hockey, and lacrosse sticks
There was one here in PA near me. Union Fork and Hoe. Out of business now. They would buy ash from anyone who brought it in. As kids we thought the name was pretty funny. Forkin Hoes.

Sorry I havenā€™t been around for awhile guys. The holidays kept me busy then I was hospitalized for kidney stones, donā€™t recommend those at all. Anyway, I scrounged a small amount of what looks kinda like maple (bark) and ash (wood) not sure what it is. Curious if you guys had an opinion.
View attachment 1046762View attachment 1046763View attachment 1046764View attachment 1046765
Glad your back. Don't think it's ash after further review on the laptop.

Remotes for winches are just great. I have a mile marker (I think) add on remote on the deck over, works pretty well, but not nearly as good as the integrated one on the x-bull I got for the utility trailer. Can't say I ever really reposition the trailer much have snatch blocks for direction changes for the deck over and the utility trailer has fenders that stick up, so skidding im limited to behind the fenders anyway. Why I like the idea of the arch towards the back. If it's set up right shouldn't need to reset for different angles too often, and it will lift the log onto the trailer. One of my biggest issues with the deck over is the winch sets dust off the deck and. There's no room for bracing it higher. Real pain when you want to drag that second or third layer of logs on the trailer. This winch for the utility trailer is up about 2 feet off the deck. Figured between that and the arch giving me the ability to lift the logs I should (I hope) be pretty set for easier loading.
The wireless remotes are great . I have a Smittybuilt winch . Remote works at least 80 ft away thatā€™s how long the cable is . FBE29658-FF27-4F71-BF3B-9A1B5FCC321E.jpeg855FF95B-9880-47A7-96DB-BB5DF869EA66.jpeg

Cut some blow downs today I believe itā€™s a maple . View attachment 1046772
And found some iron wood right next to it . Little hard on the chain and after the first cut decided it was to far gone hollow inside View attachment 1046773
Found some oak to that was still pretty solid . View attachment 1046774
Going to have to carry it out View attachment 1046775
The dead barkless piece lots like red oak and the other red maple and the hollow one looks like a type of "iron wood"

View attachment 1046762View attachment 1046763View attachment 1046764View attachment 1046765
Looks kinda like honey locust from here....
Pretty sure that's not ash bark, and the wood looks too yellow for ash.

Edit: kidney stones suck!

Latest posts

Back