Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to upgrade to a progressive. Single stage is good for learning and hunting loads, progressive for volume. Good on you for teaching them.
I have a powder thrower, she insists on measuring every charge. Love this kid!!

I don’t need anything more than the single stage and her

I can sit back and watch, she does it all

Only thing I do is set the dies

30gr of 30-31 under a 150gr interlock

She is pretty deadly with the rifle too
IMG_4373.jpeg

Reminds me i should buy a wedge ive cut wood for 50 years never owned a wedge seems everyone has a couple.
Get a small one for your pocket for bucking. Best thing I've ever done. At the slightest sign of pinching just drop it in and give it a love tap.

I took a tree down and hauled it away for a neighbor of mine. An elderly widow who's husband I use to work with in the woods on a logging crew. He was a heavy equipment mechanic and a very reputable one!
The widow gave me his old Mc-T hard hat when I was done removing the tree off her property. A pretty special tip as far as I'm concerned. I shall where this hard hat on the job now and again.
20231017_183729.jpg

Cut safe, stay sharp and be aware!

Reminds me i should buy a wedge ive cut wood for 50 years never owned a wedge seems everyone has a couple.
When they are needed. They are nice to have, but since you've gone 50 years without. Don't change it up and break the cycle! Thats bad luck! If you start packing a wedge or two with you now? Your saw is bound to get hung up in a buck!

Man................YOU'RE KILLING ME SMALLS!!! LOL. I go away for ONE WEEKEND on a group ATV trip with friends where I don't get on here, and five pages have passed by already LOL. Well, I'm going to have to catch up now again!
I can't ever catch up. I stopped trying months ago. This thread moves faster than Bruce Lee!

I had to go to town today and get some parts to finish installing our new toyo stove.

I noticed they had Husqvarna brand wedges and just by feeling and visually I could tell they are way better than then ones I had, so I grabbed 2 of each size.

View attachment 1120307
I like those as bucking wedges. I mainly use hard-heads for what little felling I do anymore :p

Sorry to hear about your tree loss.
I can't believe you get 19 mpg with a partial load in your truck. What's it get empty. My Ram 1500 only gets 17 mph empty and that's watching the acceleration.
Dang…19? I get 14…hwy…empty. Toyota Tacoma, 4cyl, lol
ok, so it’s not exactly stock…

Get a small one for your pocket for bucking. Best thing I've ever done. At the slightest sign of pinching just drop it in and give it a love tap.

Same here. I've lost so many of them, if they sprouted there'd be a wedge forest in this county.

G'day fellers,

Well, I survived the marathon. Breezed through the first 30km then it started getting hard, and quite suddenly. Got a bit crampy and had to tip-toe along for a while but then that abated a fair bit and was able to stretch out some more in the last couple of km. Finished in the top half of the field in 3:50.

WEBB0937-original.jpeg

My support crew were invaluable. It was 4 laps of 10.5km, out and back in two directions. I had Cowdad and Cowlass at one point and Cowgirl and Cowlad at another point 5km apart so I had regular drinks.

image000009.jpg

Cowlass made a sign out of little flowers from a nearby tree while she was killing time.

image000001.jpg

Proper attention to recovery is, of course, essential.

20231008_172846.jpg

Overall, it was an interesting experience and one that I wouldn't have thought I would be capable of a few years ago. But I reckon that there is no surer way to fail than to fail to try. :cheers:

G'day fellers,

Well, I survived the marathon. Breezed through the first 30km then it started getting hard, and quite suddenly. Got a bit crampy and had to tip-toe along for a while but then that abated a fair bit and was able to stretch out some more in the last couple of km. Finished in the top half of the field in 3:50.

View attachment 1120525

My support crew were invaluable. It was 4 laps of 10.5km, out and back in two directions. I had Cowdad and Cowlass at one point and Cowgirl and Cowlad at another point 5km apart so I had regular drinks.

View attachment 1120524

Cowlass made a sign out of little flowers from a nearby tree while she was killing time.

View attachment 1120523

View attachment 1120526

Overall, it was an interesting experience and one that I wouldn't have thought I would be capable of a few years ago. But I reckon that there is no surer way to fail than to fail to try. :cheers:
And u managed to have some trees in the fotos you posted. Awesome job Cowboy! Will you be doing another? :dancing: :dancing:

G'day fellers,

View attachment 1120525

View attachment 1120524

View attachment 1120523

View attachment 1120526

You're an absolute machine! Congrats on the finish.

Back