short bar + big saw = danger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's been said, but I think you're safest with whatever length you are used to. My dads old saw was a 16" bar, and that's what mine came with. There isn't much around here that will give you trouble with the 16" bar.

I have another saw with a 20" bar for bigger logs. I found I was uncomfortable trying to trim with the longer bar.

My 2 cents. FWIW.

Stay safe whatever you run. :)

:agree2:

I often use shorter bars than many on here does, but I am no fan of the really short ones.

On a Swedish forum I have attended lately, I get questions about the long bars that I use.....:laugh::laugh:

This pretty much sums up my experience also. Running an 18" bar is widely conceptualized as trying to make up fore some enormous penile deficit...

Last edited:
This pretty much sums up my experience also. Running an 18" bar is widely conceptualized as trying to make up fore some enormous penile deficit...

What would be the biggest trees you guys in Sweden come across? If an 18" bar is classed as big then I gather you don't have too many large trees to be felled?

When you are limbing a shorter bar is safer than a long.
They used 15" to limb with before, but when they went over to 13" the number of accidents when limbing fellt dramatically. A longer bar is naturally better when you are felling and bucking. But since the limbing takes over 55 % of time, are we focusing more on fast limbing than felling and bucking. It may be the opposite of the firewood cutters who use a lot of time on bucking.

No problamo! Here is my ported 64cc Dolmar sportin the big 10"
IM000651.jpg

Latest posts

Back