should i get a stihl 026 for..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodvad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
200$ cdn?

Apparently it's in A-1 shape and it's just been to the shop for all major fixes.
I usually cut around 10 cords of wood per year with it.

Glad to have found this forum man.
thanx.

An 026 in good condition is worth $200 -$280 US in my opinion. I've got one that I wouldn't take $350 US for. Remove the muffler, take a look at the piston. If its not scored that's a good sign. Put the saw on the ground and grab the crank handle and see if you can lift the saw off the ground. If the rope just comes up and the saw don't, it dosen't have good compression. The reverse of this is hold the saw in your left hand, grab the rope handle, now let the saw gently go and see if the saw is held up by the rope, gently and slowly goes down, or rapidly goes down while you are holding on to the rope/crank handle. Good luck.

Yes... . Great saw.

If you can, try it for 30 minutes and cut your typical wood with it... You'll soon know if it's suitable

So i should get it basically.
He's also including 3 blades and a plate.
This chainsaw can handle that much wood without overheating?

thnx

nodvad said:
So i should get it basically.
He's also including 3 blades and a plate.
This chainsaw can handle that much wood without overheating?

thnx
Sure it can... 10 cords a year.. but do you do it in one hour or three months...?

Real question ; is it 24 inch hardwood or 6 inch poles? Bigger wood = bigger saw, or cut slower.

Usually I'll try to do it in a weekend and i usually get 10-16 inches logs.

Used my uncles 032 last year and it ripped right thru them but i did find it quite heavy.

I'm hesitating between the used 026, a new echo CS-346for 300$cdn, or some type of jonsered.

Which one would do the trick??

can you tell from the pic if the 026 is a pro version? seems to be.

Last edited:
that's what i thought too.
Would the Echo saw handle the load? and is it powerful enough?

ok, how about a Husky 61 for 325$
would that be a good choice or is that too heavy and powerful for a weekend cut of 10 cords?

Leaning towards that 026 as it seems plenty for what i do and it's just been out of the shop.
Scuffs on the outside don't really scare me.

Last edited:
If it is a 026, then it would work out well.

I have never heard any complain of a 61 having too much power, but I cut firewood with an 066 or 372.

It is probably too heavy if you don't like the 032.

Fred

that 026 looks like shes been there an back .. but mine is not much betteer looking and i wouldnt want to get rid of it ,as its a proven saw.
but a pic just doesnt tell what its gonna do when u put it to the wood for an hour or so..
i think u ought to get the new echo or mabe one size bigger than the 346..
. 50 -60 cc is my favorite saw wood size . and thats from a stihl man.
ive just been looking at these echoes lately .. great warranty and dealer support,so it still seems to be the best bang for the buck. i do own one and it never gives any trouble.

If thats what you consider A-1 shape, then I'd hate to see what you call bad shape. Nothing appears broken, but its definitely dirty and has been bashed around.

Combine that with the fact that it doesn't appear to be as advertised (ie doesn't appear to be an 026 even), and I'd want to see the saw in person before I made a lower offer on it. I think you can find a cleaner used saw for the money. If it checked out in person, and I could get it for a little less I'd consider it, but if this is an ebay saw, with the way it looks and the details that don't quite match up, I'd be passing on it.

Yeah, i might reconsider on that 026. i've found a local stihl shop who's selling one for 275$cdn and it does look in much better condition.
So hard not to want a stihl afer having used a 032.

nodvad said:
200$ cdn?

Apparently it's in A-1 shape and it's just been to the shop for all major fixes.
I usually cut around 10 cords of wood per year with it.

Glad to have found this forum man.
thanx.
I have an 026 that looks and runs like new, $275.00 + shipping, if your interested i'll send some pictures.

Well, I really appreciate everyone's help and it WAS helpful.

I've finally gone for a stihl ms260 arctic. It's 3 years old and off a stihl dealer.
He guarantees it's in great condition and has agreed to sell it to me for 325$cdn since i had called previously for the 026 and he forgot i wanted it and sold it to someone else. He would have sold that Arctic for much more i believe.
Nice man.

Can't wait to chop chop. lol
thnx again guys.

Last edited:
I aways wanted to use the generator from an artic to power a robust LED lamp in the front of the saw :) Much more useful than the heated handle bars but you could do both.

nodvad said:
Well, I really appreciate everyone's help and it WAS helpful.

I've finally gone for a stihl ms260 arctic. It's 3 years old and off a stihl dealer.
He guarantees it's in great condition and has agreed to sell it to me for 325$cdn since i had called previously for the 026 and he forgot i wanted it and sold it to someone else. He would have sold that Arctic for much more i believe.
Nice man.

Can't wait to chop chop. lol
thnx again guys.
Please take some pics and let us know how the saw does business.:clap:

Lakeside53 said:
... Much more useful than the heated handle bars but you could do both.

Heated handles are worth their weight in gold to some of us, who live in a cold or wet climate and/or have bad hands. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back