Sighting In A Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old mauser style peep sight on my felling saw, only time I miss is when I dont compensate enough for the wind

Everytone misses once in a while . But from what I see in the pic is the tree fell exactly where it was aimed. And I cut atleast a 150 merchantable trees a day on average in 9 hours. I work in the heart on veneer cherry contry the most exspensive hardwood in North America. So the best advice that I can give is that practice makes prefect. I would cut a few more trees and adjust yourself to the saw and learn the feel of the saw and for god sakes always ear a hard hat and get away from the stump. Jay

Well at least you don't have to adjust the carburetor(float) evertime you cut down a tree like they did back in the day.

When the wind is howling like a banshee there is one sure fire never fail 3 step method that is guaranteed to get that tree to fall just where you want it but it involves 2 saws, and works best if one of the two is your most prized saw and the other is a cheap pos mini-mac.

1. take prized saw and place it where you want tree to land.
2. cut tree down with cheap saw.
3. watch in amazement as tree smashes prized saw to pieces and lands right where you wanted it to.:dizzy:

When the wind is howling like a banshee there is one sure fire never fail 3 step method that is guaranteed to get that tree to fall just where you want it but it involves 2 saws, and works best if one of the two is your most prized saw and the other is a cheap pos mini-mac.

1. take prized saw and place it where you want tree to land.
2. cut tree down with cheap saw.
3. watch in amazement as tree smashes prized saw to pieces and lands right where you wanted it to.:dizzy:

Or a new atv would work too.

There's more. I had to go answer the phone.

While I was in the saw shop, there were several pro fallers dropping off saws and whining about not working due to hootowl conditions, and they had marks like this on their saws.
252876d1347668491-p9140072-2-jpg

252877d1347668499-p9140073-2-jpg

One guy even enhanced his sights with flagging.
252878d1347668507-p9140075-2-jpg

View attachment 252876View attachment 252877View attachment 252878

Is this some kind of fad? Is GOL (Game of Logging) promoting this method of sighting in?

I hope I am not coming off as rude but putting sights on your saw is not the right way to fall a tree. There is a lot of variables when falling a tree like the depth and direction of your under cut, you need to know which corner to leave wood to spin the tree, where to put the wedges, the lean of the tree etc. It takes time but with practice you will learn how to properly fall a tree and you will laugh at yourself for making sights with tape!

I find that the tree always falls where you want when you close you're eyes and yell timber

I hope I am not coming off as rude but putting sights on your saw is not the right way to fall a tree. There is a lot of variables when falling a tree like the depth and direction of your under cut, you need to know which corner to leave wood to spin the tree, where to put the wedges, the lean of the tree etc. It takes time but with practice you will learn how to properly fall a tree and you will laugh at yourself for making sights with tape!

Oh. Thanks.

You don't come off as rude, you come off as pompous and uninformed.
There have been sight lines on chainsaws for decades.

mcc619003.jpg

mcc619003.jpg

I think you need to put some tape on that saw so your elderly eyes can see the sight line! After properly sighting it in, of course.

Now, can pink duck tape be used for such an application?

mcc619003.jpg

I apologize if I came off that way that is not my intentions at all I grew up logging and I have never seen those taped on sights before. If they are common then again I apologize I did not mean to insult anyone. I am only trying to give some advice as I have personally fallen several million feet at production level.

The guys posting the yellow pics wished we were back in the 70's when the yellow saws still meant something. To each their own. Keep hanging on.

I don't think so. The orange ax handles made it easier to find the pieces after the Cat ran over it. The faller's suspenders are part of the caste system. If a landing rat shows up wearing them he gets a quick lesson in fashion and style.

I really think those big V shaped gunning sites are for a rookie who's just breaking in. One of the old timers probably put those on there special for him. A training aid as it were.

Think of the leeway there...ten or twenty feet either side of center depending on the height of the tree. I figure a lot of the guys on here who are teaching themselves to fall could use an idea like that.

The purpose of the V paintings is obvious - they are so the operator can look to see which is "up" on the saw.

Harry K

Back