Small limbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep on liking posts from 2003 and earlier, before I realise how old they are. I do it all the time.

Regarding a small limbing saw, MS241 for the win!
Well, sense this dead thread lives again....

I just picked up a used ms241 and I totally agree, that is one fine limbing saw!

I have a ported 543xp that I fell in love with, I have it set up on an 8pin rim and RSP full chisel chain on a 16" bar, it's a dream to strip trees with and buck small logs.

Expensive for what it is ?...ya...but I forgot what I had in to it after using it for a while. It rips.

I had one years back that didn't do much for me in stock trim. This ported one is great after it broke in.

Well, I don' t work with saws all day, and I probably don't use what is best, but I use what I have - a Shindaiwa 488. I had a PS 420 Dolmar which was pretty nice for that, but I like the 488 also. I use a shorter 14" bar (because it was on the PS 420 before), so it has enough power with that short bar to really blow through the smaller limbs without bogging at all. Makes quick work.

I have a ported 543xp that I fell in love with, I have it set up on an 8pin rim and RSP full chisel chain on a 16" bar, it's a dream to strip trees with and buck small logs.

Expensive for what it is ?...ya...but I forgot what I had in to it after using it for a while. It rips.

I had one years back that didn't do much for me in stock trim. This ported one is great after it broke in.

Same story here. Ported 543/13” is a fantastic saw.

If you can't locate a MS241, IMHO a MS200 rear-handle (or MS201) with a 16" bar is a valid alternative when looking for a lightweight performance limbing saw.
However both are likely to be well over the $250 budget from the OP in 2015... And we are talking used saw pricess, not new....
If you can find an old Stihl 012AV in decent shape, it is a 45cc saw (not quite professional, but old-Stihl quality) that is lightweight, balenced and can handle a 16" bar. And is not going to be as pricey as the others mentioned above.

It's usually not far away from me now when I'm at the chipper, where did you get a 13" bar ?

I mostly have the old blue/gray .050 NK ones that I use 20-series Oregon chain on, and some of the old clearance Tiger brand standard kerf ones in .058. Bought most off eBay, but also got some from my dealer when they got some in by accident. Knowing I’m the only person they know who runs them, they set them aside and sold them to me at cost.

All my 40-50cc saws wear 325-13”, except for the Dolmar, which wears 16-3/8”. I like short bars for the stuff I cut. The ported 70cc even get 16” bars and 8t.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/good-money-after-bad-the-ported-543xp.349133/

For my small saw I used to run a Stihl 170, just made the switch to a 4300 Makita. Around here they can be found under $200 from every Home Depot, that’s where I got mine. I took the cat out of the muffler, retuned, and put a 14” lopro bar and chain on it. Hands down my favorite saw under 50cc I’ve ever used
7215B2DE-2E72-4090-A998-452726904A8B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back