Small saws: A discussion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Weee, lets talk saws :spam:

I run a 353 and a 361 (Narf, look at my sig)

What say ye to selling my 353 and purchasing a smaller saw, to broaden the gap between my small and small/medium saws? Would I find a smaller saw running .325 chain anemic and weak compared to a 53cc saw running 3/8 chain on a 16" bar?

I'd probably opt for a 14" bar, I'd like .325 because my grinder wheel would accept it (Not a deal breaker) and I'd like it small and light to handle brush duties. What would be a good saw to look at/for?

I did some poking around, the Stihl 230 looks nice... 10lbs 40cc...
Anything compares to it from other brands?

Fill me in one the little buggers:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Ich, good to see you around again, I’ve really missed your avatar :laugh:

(Remember this is coming from a Stihl guy)

If I were you I would sell both the 353 and the 361 (OMG... yes I actually said sell a 361) and get a NE346XP. It would be the perfect compliment to your line-up and is a really nice little limber.

If your looking at the MS230 go with the 250 same saw more cc's best power to weight of the the three (210, 230, 250 are all the same saw), best choice there is the MS260. You're not looking at smaller saws because you have to much power you're looking at small saws because you are carrying to much weight..... 10lbs is 10lbs is 10lbs best to get the most out of your 10lbs. ;)

:cheers:

I have a MS211 and it makes great power for it's weight, runs a 3/8" Picco. This saw is a strato so if you plan on mods move on.:D

I like a ported 026 myself.:chainsaw:

Hey Ich There is a guy sell husky 336 on ebay for a good price. The 339xp took over for the 336. New saw old stock. That is a pretty small saw I think its right about 8 pounds

We've had a few small saw threads here recently. The lightweight contenders are the MS200 rear handle, 339xp, Domar/Makita 401, Redmax 3800, possibly the Shindaiwa 377, Efco/John Deere 36cc and 40cc.

It depends upon how much $ you want to spend, and how much performance you want or need.

An update on the Dolmar/makita 401 is that I've further muffler modded mine, pulled the limiter caps and retuned. Factory recomended 12K revs with restrictive muffler, lightly modded muffler 13K, and more muffler modding 14K+. Not bad for an 8.8# powerhead.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=82741&highlight=dolmar+401

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=88634&highlight=dolmar+420

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=90047&highlight=redmax+3800

Ich, good to see you around again, I’ve really missed your avatar :laugh:

(Remember this is coming from a Stihl guy)

If I were you I would sell both the 353 and the 361 (OMG... yes I actually said sell a 361) and get a NE346XP. It would be the perfect compliment to your line-up and is a really nice little limber.

If your looking at the MS230 go with the 250 same saw more cc's best power to weight of the the three (210, 230, 250 are all the same saw), best choice there is the MS260. You're not looking at smaller saws because you have to much power you're looking at small saws because you are carrying to much weight..... 10lbs is 10lbs is 10lbs best to get the most out of your 10lbs. ;)

:cheers:

I have cut a little with my dads 260 Pro. Not all that impressed for the $540 price tag the local dealer asks.

I guess I should modify my search criteria to: "Cheap"

I'll probably balk at selling the 361 because its perfect with a 16" bar at the higher altitudes of my firewood cutting. The 353 (Ported) is pretty poor for bucking even the tops.

Ive got an old Stihl 021 and its a good little saw. Its light and easy to handle.
The 230 you are looking at would be comparable to my 021, but would have a bit more power.
I lean more towards Echos and Id go with a CS-370 or a CS-400. When my little 021 has a catastrophic failure, its going to be replaced by a CS-370.

Small saw

I run a Dolmar PS 401 for limbs after I put a tree on the ground.

I put on an Oregon ProLite 12 inch and run Carlton chain. The 12 inch bar makes the saw easy to maneuver in the tree limbs, and it has enough power to do the job.

About 11 lbs loaded out and ready to run.

I have cut a little with my dads 260 Pro. Not all that impressed for the $540 price tag the local dealer asks.

I guess I should modify my search criteria to: "Cheap"

I'll probably balk at selling the 361 because its perfect with a 16" bar at the higher altitudes of my firewood cutting. The 353 (Ported) is pretty poor for bucking even the tops.

It must be the altitude. I like my stock 353, and its faster than my 026, and both are running .325 chain. Smaller, lighter saws will have less power, so won't be able to pull the .325 as well.

Brad Snelling did a chain comparison on one of the small saws, and the .325 7 pin was just a wee bit better than 3/8 91VX on 6 pin.

Because the 420 weighs as much as an 026/260 and has less power?

I was not aware the weight was that high, not that it is heavy though, I guess it's qualitys are easy to start and decent price....

I ran Don's 401 at the last GTG, ran good for a tiny saw, a little more power than my cs346.

Just checked Dolmars site, the 420 is 10.56lbs and 401 is 8.8lbs, .7 of a hp difference.

Last edited:
Ich, I forget that your up in the thin air. :cheers:

I still think the 346 is the logical step back for you, buuuut....

If your looking at the fly weight limbers with the cheap tags... oddly enough the top contenders are also the biggest dogs out of the box and I gotta figure it's only gonna get worse up there in the nose bleed section.

I'd be looking at;

Redmax 3800
dolmar 401
Shindaiwa 377
and the not to be left out, Shindaiwa 360..... shhh don't tell anyone. :laugh:

all (and I mean everyone of them) are gonna be a dog straight out of the box and are gonna be a disappointment without at least a muff mod and a carb adjust, some real port work will get you in the range of making your dad wonder why he's carrying the 026 around.

I still say you want a 346 but hey at your attitude the 361 may be the perfect 16" limb moshene, down here where I'm at in the low lands the 361 is real honest to goodness 18" saw that really cuts 18" wood. :cheers:

Light and cheap, eh?

They are not very well known yet, but the Husky 435 might be something to look at. I sold another one today and I was thinking, these little things are starting to grow on me. It is lighter than the also new 445/450. It's also lighter than the 235/240 saws, and better built. They go for $249 promo. Husky has always been a little weak in this segment relying on the 136/141 saws, the replacements for which are the new 200's.

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but if nobody has mentioned it yet, Shindaiwa makes some nice small saws.

What you are looking for is kind of elusive in the sense that saws such as the 346/353 and MS260 are already pretty light, and you can only save so much weight and still have something that you will still consider a real saw, power wise. But if weight is really the most important factor, with the saw not being asked to do anything but limb, then power may not be an issue.

And let me also say welcome back.:cheers:

Good Idea.

Light and cheap, eh?

They are not very well known yet, but the Husky 435 might be something to look at. I sold another one today and I was thinking, these little things are starting to grow on me. It is lighter than the also new 445/450. It's also lighter than the 235/240 saws, and better built. They go for $249 promo. Husky has always been a little weak in this segment relying on the 136/141 saws, the replacements for which are the new 200's.
cheers:

I'm with you on this one - I posted a while back that I am considering the Husky 435 because it seems as though it would make the ideal trail saw. Plus the price is right. Handling one in the store - the saw seems well balanced and very light.
Spike it would be interesting if you could get some feedback from your customers as to their opinions on that model. There hasn't been too much written about them as yet.

Al :cheers:

Hmm, maybe I just need to play with a short bar on my 353, or step back to .325 chain on it.

I would say, I'd hate to send the 353 down the road and buy a saw that I don't like... that would be most unfortunate.

:spam:

Latest posts

Back