starting a MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crapola!!! 14 pages about how to start a Stihl. Guess it doesn't cure cancer if ya can't get it to start. I have a saw that starts on the 3rd pull with the decomp, I won't mention which brand. How much does 361 starting school cost and what campus can I attend? I didn't know owning a Stihl requires a college degree on how to start it. wow......:popcorn:

Just tried this at lunch and my spindly Yankee arms will never be the same. Yup 200x full choke, decomp valve in. Started spraying fuel out of the decomp by pull 75. It was kinda cool as the fuel was black and all full of carbon. By pull 200, the thing was littery drenched in fuel. Flipped the switch to run, kept the decomp in, depressed the trigger and started pulling. Saw hit on pull 18 and by pull 21 we was driving Miss Daisy again. Not worth a video. I was hoping it would cold seize, drain the fuel tank or explode in a blinding flash of orange and white. Nope, just coughed sputtered and smoked a lot just like a flooded saw. I was disappointed. If I have time, I will put the factory muffler back on the saw and give it another go. Perhaps it will perform better with the cat and plugged up muffler.

LOLOLOLOL, so you really cranked that thing 200 times, sure ya did. I ate 200
hamburgers today for lunch too,hahaha

Tommy and me, we been in some big AS scraps. I even got him banned from AS once. Take it from a stubborn old coot; Tommy ain't goin' anywhere, and he ain't backin' off. He is one hell of stand up guy in a face slapping contest. I know, cause my jaw still aches from the last one! :popcorn:

Hell Wind now that he has cranked that saw 200 times he should be tired, even the muscles in his mouth should be tired too but oddly thats not the case,LOL

Holy crapola!!! 14 pages about how to start a Stihl. Guess it doesn't cure cancer if ya can't get it to start. I have a saw that starts on the 3rd pull with the decomp, I won't mention which brand. How much does 361 starting school cost and what campus can I attend? I didn't know owning a Stihl requires a college degree on how to start it. wow......:popcorn:

You have a saw that starts on the 3rd pull, wow Fred, I'm impressed. I got 45 that will do that, all Stihls of course. Now my ole 372 is startin to act up alittle bit when starting, I've mentioned it before. Seems to be running too lean. Don't know whether to ajdust the carb on it or just crank it oh I don't know, 200 times maybe,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

You have a saw that starts on the 3rd pull, wow Fred, I'm impressed. I got 45 that will do that, all Stihls of course. Now my ole 372 is startin to act up alittle bit when starting, I've mentioned it before. Seems to be running too lean. Don't know whether to ajdust the carb on it or just crank it oh I don't know, 200 times maybe,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Usually 2 or 3 on choke, and 1-2 on fast idle - even when "stone cold" (not used in months).....:)

Last edited:
haha...14 pages...what the heck

Now gents and gals....I do not need 14 pages of "how to start a Stihl"...and ya all know ole Tommy will get this straight out. I believe I took a couple Elvis missteps...gotta get this step just right.

Heck...I believe alot of you brothers are too proud to admit ya ain't flood a saw. Oh...heck I bet ya guys never rode a bucking horse that you got from an auction and was all drugged up :popcorn: Show me what you are made up of...

Now boys...me thinks this page should be the final page...there are alotta Husky guys who need help ... not to mention the other brands. You may want to devote your fingers towards their ails... LOL

I did not start the saw last night..sure not when its thundering but will do it this evening. I am fairly sure it will start...my guts tell me so.

And Tommy I am going to visit your shop next week to shoot the breeze and I'll bring my saw just for fun and giggles...

I tell you boys what...once I get this saw starting procedure nailed down...its gonna be singing all the way across the prairies... LOL

You would actually abuse your saws to that extent just to prove a point? I am confused here though. You said that you dumped your 361s becasue they were prone to flooding, but then you say that you can start them, regardless of flooding rivers of gas...

And your fuel was black an full of carbon... :dizzy: Too bad Lakeside is retired. I used that technique on an old Echo CS-3000. Full throttle start when it was flooded. Only thing that worked. But that saw was on its last legs, and not worth a turd.

Sir, have you ever tried to unflood a saw in an aerial bucket? Gets real old real fast and the saw gets the boot or it is going to learn to fly. I really don’t think excessive amounts of mix in the cylinder counts as chainsaw abuse but if you do, that’s cool with me. The experiment was worth doing as a curio point but no real data was generated other that it takes about 75 pulls before mix will shoot out of the decomp. I was a little disappointed at the high presence of the carbon as this saw has been run on stihl ultra since new. The ms361 has long paid for itself and made me a good jag of swag. If it dies today or tomorrow, taint no big deal.

Used and abused the saw for the rest of the afternoon cutting up a big dead elm tree that was a dry as a bone. Miss Daisy never missed a beat and I actually think it is running better than ever before. Perhaps the excess mix actually did the saw some good probably flushing out some of the carbon build up. I was running so fine that I was even going to use it for the flush cut but opted for das Univent. Sir, that ugly hunchback is one sweet saw. I will try and get the stock muffler back on the ms361 this weekend and we will give it another 200 pulls to see if the stock muffler is adding to the problem.

I ate 200
hamburgers today for lunch too,hahaha

Sir, 200 burgers for lunch?? Now if you had said 50 eggs, that I might believe but that just might be too cool of a hand for you. Best stick with what you know. 200 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with bananas and bacon should fit the bill. Bon appetit and good road!

Sir, 200 burgers for lunch?? Now if you had said 50 eggs, that I might believe but that just might be too cool of a hand for you. Best stick with what you know. 200 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with bananas and bacon should fit the bill. Bon appetit and good road!

Hahhahaha, good one. I had 200 hamburgers about as much as you cranking that saw 200 times today. Garden season is in Centaur, can ya come down and save me money on fertilizer, man with as much BS as you got with you the veggies should grow like crazy,hahaha

Now gents and gals....I do not need 14 pages of "how to start a Stihl"...and ya all know ole Tommy will get this straight out. I believe I took a couple Elvis missteps...gotta get this step just right.

Heck...I believe alot of you brothers are too proud to admit ya ain't flood a saw. Oh...heck I bet ya guys never rode a bucking horse that you got from an auction and was all drugged up :popcorn: Show me what you are made up of...

Now boys...me thinks this page should be the final page...there are alotta Husky guys who need help ... not to mention the other brands. You may want to devote your fingers towards their ails... LOL

I did not start the saw last night..sure not when its thundering but will do it this evening. I am fairly sure it will start...my guts tell me so.

And Tommy I am going to visit your shop next week to shoot the breeze and I'll bring my saw just for fun and giggles...

I tell you boys what...once I get this saw starting procedure nailed down...its gonna be singing all the way across the prairies... LOL

Looking forward to your visit Jim. After we get it fired up we'll go in the office and post it blew up. You'll see em flock in like buzzards then,LOLOL

Usually 2 or 3 on choke, and 1-2 on fast idle - even when "stone cold" (not used in months).....:)

I know whatcha mean SawTroll. Mine runs fine but it seems to have gotton a tad lean on the start up, tant no biggie, nothing a slight adjustment on the low screw can't take care of. I don't use it enough to worry about it but next time I get it out I'll getter striaghtened it out.:clap::clap::clap:

Hahhahaha, good one. I had 200 hamburgers about as much as you cranking that saw 200 times today. Garden season is in Centaur, can ya come down and save me money on fertilizer, man with as much BS as you got with you the veggies should grow like crazy,hahaha

Sorry sir, but again, my word is my bond. When I tell you sir, that saw got 200 cranks on full choke, you can take that to the bank and I was able to clear the saw and get it running with 21 pulls. If you chose to think that is just Yankee BS, no skin cancer off my nose. I invite you to give it a try on your own saw, if you can. Wont think too much less of you if you decide to decline. I am sure you have much better thing to do with your time and this is a not for profit exercise. Cheers!

Sorry sir, but again, my word is my bond. When I tell you sir, that saw got 200 cranks on full choke, you can take that to the bank and I was able to clear the saw and get it running with 21 pulls. If you chose to think that is just Yankee BS, no skin cancer off my nose. I invite you to give it a try on your own saw, if you can. Wont think too much less of you if you decide to decline. I am sure you have much better thing to do with your time and this is a not for profit exercise. Cheers!

Well sorry sir but I wasn't there to see it, there seems to be no video to prove it so yes I think its 100% alfalfa grown BULL----, yes that wet sloppy kind them ole bulls shoot out like water when they bite off more than they can chew, sorta like you,LOL

Now you've told me twice this stuff about your word. First it was what was it worth and now its your bond. You sure you aren't in the fertilizer business, that I would believe,hahaha

Yeah sorry bud, couldn't resist.
I wouldn't recommend pulling on your crank 200 times. I did that once-got rubbed raw and it took a lot of bag balm to make it right. Even left a mark. :cry::cry::cry:

Yeah sorry bud, couldn't resist.
I wouldn't recommend pulling on your crank 200 times. I did that once-got rubbed raw and it took a lot of bag balm to make it right. Even left a mark. :cry::cry::cry:

Well you bring up a good point. He said cranked it 200 times, cleared it out and then she spit on the 18th pull. Ya think he let it hit the floor or did he have a towel to catch it,LOLOLOLOLOL

I personally don't have a reason not to believe he pulled on his MS361 200 times. For the doubters...do it yourself to see if get similar results.

I personally don't have a reason not to believe he pulled on his MS361 200 times. For the doubters...do it yourself to see if get similar results.

Be snowballs freezing in hell the day I crank a saw 200 times for the hell of it, tant no way. I don't doubt for a second though that he is talking BS, that I do beleive, he's probably laffing as much as we are..

Don't know as I have never cranked a saw 200 times, but I'm not the one discreditting him either. If you truly want to prove he is full of BS...you better get crankin instead of typing.

Latest posts

Back