starting a MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For rudely throwing in premature options without reading the entire thread, he very well may be full of BS, but I actually think he did the experiment:

Throwing gas out the decomp at 75; that's too funny an image for a BSer to make up!

Jim don't see this thread as unecessarily long, see it like a good rollercoaster drama film with sporatic humor to really make it entertaining! :popcorn:

Don't know as I have never cranked a saw 200 times, but I'm not the one discreditting him either. If you truly want to prove he is full of BS...you better get crankin instead of typing.

No no, he made the claim, he's the one that needs to prove it. Let him get that video camera out and show us 200 cranks. I'm not so sure a starter assmebly on any saw will take 200 cranks in a row without breaking the recoil spring or fraying the rope. I think he's just having fun with us and thats ok by me...

Awww...

I'm disappointed; I really did want to see it...
Tommy at least run through the drive through and get a few burgers;
then we could at least watch something!
-br

I'm disappointed; I really did want to see it...
Tommy at least run through the drive through and get a few burgers;
then we could at least watch something!
-br

LOLOLOLOL, I'll be running over to Mc A Dee's in abit. I'm gonna try a chicken club sandwhich today. Want me to bring ya back one?,hahaha

No no, he made the claim, he's the one that needs to prove it. Let him get that video camera out and show us 200 cranks. I'm not so sure a starter assmebly on any saw will take 200 cranks in a row without breaking the recoil spring or fraying the rope. I think he's just having fun with us and thats ok by me...
Huh? So in order for you to believe what anyone says on here they have to post a video?

Do you think he cranked the saw 200 times without stopping? I highly doubt anyone could do that and I don't see anywhere he claimed he did. Explain to me how the starter assembly or rope is going to have anymore stress on it? The rope may have some above normal stress on it during his experiment due to the increased compression with the loaded cylinder. However, I'd guess the rope holds up just fine since gas was shooting out the decomp after the 75th pull. His experiment wouldn't add anymore stress to the starter assembly (cup, pawls or spring) either, than a guy that cranks his saw 200 times in a year.

Huh? So in order for you to believe what anyone says on here they have to post a video?

Do you think he cranked the saw 200 times without stopping? I highly doubt anyone could do that and I don't see anywhere he claimed he did. Explain to me how the starter assembly or rope is going to have anymore stress on it? The rope may have some above normal stress on it during his experiment due to the increased compression with the loaded cylinder. However, I'd guess the rope holds up just fine since gas was shooting out the decomp after the 75th pull. His experiment wouldn't add anymore stress to the starter assembly (cup, pawls or spring) either, than a guy that cranks his saw 200 times in a year.

Huh hell, here's his exact words:

'Just tried this at lunch and my spindly Yankee arms will never be the same. Yup 200x full choke, decomp valve in."

Now most lunches are a hour where I come from, many jobs its 30 minutes. So if he cranked it 200 times in a hour he pretty well went about it non-stop if he had time left to eat.

Far as the rope and spring holding up after 200 cranks maybe but one thing is for certain it wasn't designed for it all at once on a lunch break. Bring me a saw with a broken rewind spring or rope and tell me you did it by cranking it 200 times on your lunch break. I'll say great, hope ya got more bucks in ya pocket than you do brains in ya noggin,LOL

"Are you ready on the right, ready on the left? Get it on!!!":greenchainsaw:

Hahaha, tant no fighting going on, alot of BS'ing going on for sure.

Wonder if that cat with his 200 cranks would believe me if I told him I sold a mere 16 chains last week and the bill was $5,798.40. Think he would beleive that, I bet he wouldn't. Thing is I did...

it worked...albeit a bit differently

I was able to start my saw yesterday. Same thing as last time...did it without the decomp and on cold start...after three cranks I really did not feel the saw fire up but did not want to crank any more and flood the darn saw. So after three cranks and not hearing the saw fire up...I pushed the lever to half choke-fast idle and crank it two times and it fired up. The interesting thing is this procedure was not like the last time. I know you flood a saw by cranking the saw (200 times hehe) more than needed and I recal someone said they crank the saw on cold start 2 or 3 times and then move on to half-choke. This is what I did and it seem to work. I think this makes sense...you crank the saw too many times at cold choke its gonna flood whether you feel it or not so might as well move to half-choke and crank 2 or 3 times and see if it starts. If it does not start then get back to cold-start.

I think from this lesson...is that no one way is alike and ya'all waste contributing to this post LOL...that is ok sometimes you learn from others. At least I know this saw CAN start if I do not screw up the strut...

Tommy...your off the hook. Now who can "lock" up this post so no more BSing goes on in this post LOL...

I was able to start my saw yesterday. Same thing as last time...did it without the decomp and on cold start...after three cranks I really did not feel the saw fire up but did not want to crank any more and flood the darn saw. So after three cranks and not hearing the saw fire up...I pushed the lever to half choke-fast idle and crank it two times and it fired up. The interesting thing is this procedure was not like the last time. I know you flood a saw by cranking the saw (200 times hehe) more than needed and I recal someone said they crank the saw on cold start 2 or 3 times and then move on to half-choke. This is what I did and it seem to work. I think this makes sense...you crank the saw too many times at cold choke its gonna flood whether you feel it or not so might as well move to half-choke and crank 2 or 3 times and see if it starts. If it does not start then get back to cold-start.

I think from this lesson...is that no one way is alike and ya'all waste contributing to this post LOL...that is ok sometimes you learn from others. At least I know this saw CAN start if I do not screw up the strut...

Tommy...your off the hook. Now who can "lock" up this post so no more BSing goes on in this post LOL...

But Jim it was just getting to be fun,LOLOL

So you got that baby perking coffee now, good on you man. Glad to hear your getting it down where you can now start that thing, :cheers::cheers:

Huh hell, here's his exact words:

'Just tried this at lunch and my spindly Yankee arms will never be the same. Yup 200x full choke, decomp valve in."

Now most lunches are a hour where I come from, many jobs its 30 minutes. So if he cranked it 200 times in a hour he pretty well went about it non-stop if he had time left to eat.

Far as the rope and spring holding up after 200 cranks maybe but one thing is for certain it wasn't designed for it all at once on a lunch break. Bring me a saw with a broken rewind spring or rope and tell me you did it by cranking it 200 times on your lunch break. I'll say great, hope ya got more bucks in ya pocket than you do brains in ya noggin,LOL

I didn't spend the time trying to quantify the time it would take to crank a saw 200 times to try to put a hole in his statement of actually doing it like you. However, eventhough I haven't seen a video of him being the owner/operator of a multiple tree crew I believed that also. So the time he takes for lunch may be a little more flexible. My whole point is in one thread your trying to get people to talk and then in this thread your trying to run a guy into the ground because you don't personally believe he cranked his 361 200 times.

CentaurG2 said:
When you run a multiple tree crew, with each fellow not knowing (or caring) what the other has done, flooding a saw becomes common place. Of the stihls in my fleet, the ms200 seems less prone to flooding than the ms440.

Maybe, but you haven't given me any evidence of why it makes any difference if I cranked it 200 times in one day or if took a year to crank it 200 times. If the technique and pressure was the same in both scenarios it doesn't make a difference the span of time it took to reach 200.

I didn't spend the time trying to quantify the time it would take to crank a saw 200 times to try to put a hole in his statement of actually doing it like you. However, eventhough I haven't seen a video of him being the owner/operator of a multiple tree crew I believed that also. So the time he takes for lunch may be a little more flexible. My whole point is in one thread your trying to get people to talk and then in this thread your trying to run a guy into the ground because you don't personally believe he cranked his 361 200 times.

Seems to me it must be your time of the month of something. I hear Midol works but I've never tried it. I didn't say squat about the man until he starting feeding my customer a bunch of BS when he was merely asking for a helping hand. This thread went many pages of folks really trying to help Jim out and then comes whatcha of name and starts BS'ing. Suggesting he get another saw, it needs a carb adjust and finally the 200 crank horse -----. Jim wasn't asking for a bunch of BS, he was asking how to solve his starting problem. So yes I called Cen on his BS, he deserved it and the funny part is he seems less upset about than you, I said he was probably laffing as much as us so how is that running him in the ground?

If Cen is your buddy thats cool, take up for him all ya like, not gonna change my mind one bit. I personally do not beleive he cranked that saw 200 times on his lunch break. You may beleive it, thats your choice, me, I think he's having fun with us.

Maybe, but you haven't given me any evidence of why it makes any difference if I cranked it 200 times in one day or if took a year to crank it 200 times. If the technique and pressure was the same in both scenarios it doesn't make a difference the span of time it took to reach 200.

Okkkkkkkkkkk if you say so.

Seems to me it must be your time of the month of something. I hear Midol works but I've never tried it. I didn't say squat about the man until he starting feeding my customer a bunch of BS when he was merely asking for a helping hand. This thread went many pages of folks really trying to help Jim out and then comes whatcha of name and starts BS'ing. Suggesting he get another saw, it needs a carb adjust and finally the 200 crank horse -----. Jim wasn't asking for a bunch of BS, he was asking how to solve his starting problem. So yes I called Cen on his BS, he deserved it and the funny part is he seems less upset about than you, I said he was probably laffing as much as us so how is that running him in the ground?

If Cen is your buddy thats cool, take up for him all ya like, not gonna change my mind one bit. I personally do not beleive he cranked that saw 200 times on his lunch break. You may beleive it, thats your choice, me, I think he's having fun with us.
Go look back at your posts....you didn't reference him laughing about it till real recently.

Sorry Tom I don't play on teams on here as you've should have noticed by now. I seem to remember you accusing me of being on bwalker's team once in the past also.

Go look back at your posts....you didn't reference him laughing about it till real recently.

Sorry Tom I don't play on teams on here as you've should have noticed by now. I seem to remember you accusing me of being on bwalker's team once in the past also.

Ben Walker, good lord he hasn't been around in ages. So let me get this striaght, I accused you of being on his team years back, ok, and what does that have to do years later with this thread. You have a chip on your shoulder over that or something. I thought maybe it was that lack of communication a few weeks ago, I didn't care then and I don't care now. If you thought I gave a dayumm you was wrong.

Lets cut to the chase. Cen was BSing my customer, you know it, I know it and everyone else knows it. I called him on it. Your the only one defending it and thats all fine and well. I'm not going back checking any posts. Seems your abit ticked that I checked his and you didn't. Your too busy checking mine I guess. Even so I was right, Cen was wrong, Jim got the saw going, no carb adjust needed nor 200 cranks or maybe another saw and blah blah blah BS. Guess you will have to deal with it.

Your the one that made the statement not me.....you have yet to tell me why you think it will fail.

I'm sticking to it too. Does a rope fray if its never pulled, does a spring snap if its never stretched, don't think so. 200 times in a hour hmmmmmmm, not so sure, makes sense to me, if not you thats fine..

Ben Walker, good lord he hasn't been around in ages. So let me get this striaght, I accused you of being on his team years back, ok, and what does that have to do years later with this thread. You have a chip on your shoulder over that or something. I thought maybe it was that lack of communication a few weeks ago, I didn't care then and I don't care now. If you thought I gave a dayumm you was wrong.

Lets cut to the chase. Cen was BSing my customer, you know it, I know it and everyone else knows it. I called him on it. Your the only one defending it and thats all fine and well. I'm not going back checking any posts. Seems your abit ticked that I checked his and you didn't. Your too busy checking mine I guess. Even so I was right, Cen was wrong, Jim got the saw going, no carb adjust needed nor 200 cranks or maybe another saw and blah blah blah BS. Guess you will have to deal with it.
How it relates is just because I took issue of you accussing Cen of BSing doesn't mean that I'm good friends with him nor do I personally know him at all.

No I personally believe he did do it. Who is the "We" you are referring to that know he didn't? How long is his lunch? How long does it take to crank a saw 200 times? Neither you nor I know. Just because you seen he did it over his lunch you assumed that wasn't enough time to eat and crank a saw 200 times.

Back